Aug 20, 2014
Bewdley, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Since 2011
This my first post so please be gentle!

Could anyone advise on what they consider to be the best Mifi device to support iPhone and/or iPad. It would be used mainly when travelling in Europe.

Many thanks
DoubleD

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, good to post sharing information is what it's all about, the Mifi 3 is worth looking at as it's getting accepted more in Europe now, and very good in the UK. If you go into a 3 shop reiterate that you want a Mifi and not a dongle. :welc:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I think the OP means the hardware module rather than the SIM provider/network.
I use the Huawei E5332 bought from MotorhomeWifi. In France recently it worked very well even where there was low 3G signal. Used on 2 ipads.
There are plenty other more expensive pieces of kit but this one was excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I used the Netgear 3/4G one provided by MotorhomeWiFi. Worked great in France, Belgium and Germany this year.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I used a 3 mifi in France and it worked well most (but not all) of the time. Mind you we were in some remote places. In towns no problem.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got mine from Motorhome wifi as well. Very helpful indeed after I had a few set up issues (mainly due to me trying to set it all up with webbed feet....) all quickly sorted by them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just got back from a trip in Europe used 3 MIFI on a Huawei router worked brilliantly all over France Italy and Belgium and at no extra cost to my monthly payment which is about £10 I think. Did'nt work in Germany but they're not included yet, I think I read Spain get included early next year. Also works all over the UK great little gadget.(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just got back from a trip in Europe used 3 MIFI on a Huawei router worked brilliantly all over France Italy and Belgium and at no extra cost to my monthly payment which is about £10 I think. Did'nt work in Germany but they're not included yet, I think I read Spain get included early next year. Also works all over the UK great little gadget.(y)

My recent experience too!(y)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
go to the ZTE web site for the latest and arguably the best unlocked MiFi devices available, won most of the awards for such device's more expensive and complicated than Huawei.............MotorhomeWiFi dont sell ZTE so if you do decide to buy ZTE you wont get any help from MHW!!!!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We use an unlocked (so we can use different sim cards) Huawai 5776 mifi - most of the time using Three.
Or sometimes just tether use my mobile, which is essentially the same as using a mifi.
Just make sure your tariff allows tethering

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have good results using a unlocked Huawei MIFI on 3 network .You can also get MIFI's from "intermodem.com". They sell unlocked Huawei and other, prices seem good.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hellooooo Deb, how are you and David? Have you got any more trips planned?

We learnt everything we know about wifi and mifi from Addie at Motorhome wifi.

Hope you are both well, will catch up soon. Xx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just choose a mifi which will take an external aerial, you probably won't need it in most places but when you do you will appreciate it.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We bought a Huawei E5372 since we are full-timing in UK prior to moving to France next year. Currently we are using a MobiData sim on a 3 month contract where you get double data for the same price as 1 month., so for example 5gig gets you 10 on a 3 month deal (I know what I mean anyway!). Broken Link Removed They also have a 24 hour helpline that is very good usually.

The Huawei switches to local wifi if there is any on site for example. We use it for 2 macs, an iPad & 2 iphones-all good & the battery life is OK.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Great thread this, have just decided to upgrade our steam driven phones and maybe get some sort of tablet. I wonder if people could expand (or bump) this post, however you do that? to include the best devices for staying in touch whilst here and abroad (often in Sweden) and why. It's very useful when people state why the product is good and why it's good (or not). For instance, I have put off getting a new phone because I think the Samsung Galaxy 5 is better that the Iphone (perhaps not the 6) and now because the 6 is out reviews are saying it's ok but not as good as the next release from........ if you get my drift.

Always had a bit of a problem with the apple ethos ie all their products work with other apple products but not necessarily particularly well with other manufactures. Do people experience problems with this, so consensus please on:-

Best way of accessing the internet both in UK and abroad whilst mobile
Best networks to use both here and abroad
Best device for phone and data, laptop phone, tablet etc
Most effective phone for receiving emails
Whether to use "multi sim" devices, and is this necessary or required and why
Most cost effective solution
Do you need a dongle,
BT WIFI hotspots, I have BT wifi, does anyone use this extensively whilst out and about and how to make best use of it.
Any new revolutionary products due for release

You get the drift, basically I just want to stay "connected" the best way possible and have decided to upgrade, don't mind spending a chunk of money but don't particularly want to do it year in year out.
I mean my phone doesn't even like the internet (don't ask we'll get sidetracked) and I am amazed when people are receiving emails when I haven't even got a signal, I've even had immediate responses to post from funsters who are abroad. HOW do you do this?

Can't wait for all you very clever techies to point me in the right direction and if you think I've hijacked this thread please move this post somewhere else as I don't know how to (haven't got the technology ha ha)

Simon

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
So many questions!!! I think your best bet is to go to your nearest Apple shop & play-their staff are not pushy-you can even make an appointment online with all your questions to be answered. My experience is that it's all very civilised. I like Apple tho whatever you buy will be updated in 6 months-you don't have to upgrade!!!!

Then go to any high street mobile retailer with the same questions-compare your experience & how much fun it was to play.

Generally your new toy will be cheaper off contract BUT it will cost you up front-you are free to stick in a local sim abroad-maybe cheaper.

(Sent from my iPhone 6+ using using a Huawei Mobile wifi currently with an EE sim)

Have fun, forget consensus (!) & play,
Good luck,
Roger

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back