LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi. Santa kindly brought me an Amazon 3 data sim, so all I need now is the unit and aerial ;)

Can anyone recommend me a make and model that will work with 3 sims and has good reception. I'll need an external aerial so it needs at least a socket for one if it doesn't come with one, in which case an aerial recommendadtion would be good too (y) Thanks.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
If you'e not used at Motorhome Wifi, they have some packages that include the router and either a removable or fixed aerial: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/ You may be able to buy these items cheaper elsewhere, but their after sales service is excellent. I have nothing to do with them apart from being a satisfied customer.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Two choices really.
1. Research the technology, the products available & the market. Save some cash on the purchase price & have the satisfaction of knowledge gained.
2. Ring MotorhomeWifi, tell them how & where you use the van & order the product they recommend. Pay more, but get the benefit of them having done option 1 for you & also benefit from their after-sales service, should it ever be required.

Can't beat option 1 if you have the time & understanding. Can't beat option 2 for speed & peace of mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Two choices really.
1. Research the technology, the products available & the market. Save some cash on the purchase price & have the satisfaction of knowledge gained.
2. Ring MotorhomeWifi, tell them how & where you use the van & order the product they recommend. Pay more, but get the benefit of them having done option 1 for you & also benefit from their after-sales service, should it ever be required.

Can't beat option 1 if you have the time & understanding. Can't beat option 2 for speed & peace of mind.
You can't say fairer than that

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I bought these earlier this year.....

Link Removed

Link Removed

and they work fine both in the UK and Europe...

Three.jpg

If you want to use an antenna make sure that the mifi has antenna ports and the plugs on the antenna fit the ports. There are at least two different types of plugs and ports. Both above are TS9 fittings. The mifi takes a full size sim.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd look at the Huawei 4G MIFIs as most (if not all) come with external antenna connections and are good units. Don't worry if they are locked as they can be unlocked very easily with a 99p code of Ebay!

This is a good one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-...846599?hash=item43fb3c5f47:g:UroAAOSwA3dYWZGD

You can also get it from Three with 2gb of data on a 1 month contract (you can cancel it) for £49.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket?ID=1527

or from ID mobile (Carphone Warehouse) for £35

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/checkout...IjoiOTIuNDAuODguMzcifQ==&delivery_choice=1442

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't bother with the antennas shown in the above links, its S H I T E!! I bought one and there is no way it gives 35 DBI gain, I'd be amazed if it gives 3.5 to be honest. It does give some signal gain but not enough in my opinion to be worth even the tenner I paid.

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Don't bother with the antennas shown in the above links, its S H I T E!! I bought one and there is no way it gives 35 DBI gain, I'd be amazed if it gives 3.5 to be honest. It does give some signal gain but not enough in my opinion to be worth even the tenner I paid.

D.
Can you point me towards an antenna that does work?
Ta

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As above. Try Motorhome wi-fi.
I have been using their Mi-fi plus window antenna right through France and into northern Spain with good results.
As others have said, you can buy them cheaper but the back up from www.motorhomewifi.com/ is excellent if you're not sure what you are doing or buying.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Better antenna here:

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I am going to go with one of these either stuck onto the side of the MoHo or mounted on a lightweight sectional pole. Anybody else use one of these antennas as the feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

We use the xpol, I've got it mounted on our old wind up tv aerial that we don't use. Use it with our Netgear mifi,
www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/762S.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
Been using it last 3months. And it's made a huge difference to our signal, especially here in rural Portugal. Not cheap but it's well made with good quality cable and connectors.

Shawn

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use a MiFi unit bought locked to Orange from Currys, then unlocked it, put a 3 data sim in it, works a treat, we have a small aerial-not fixed-but hardly ever need to use it. Works in France too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can anyone explain to me what the HUAWEI model numbers mean? e.g. 5776; 5186; 5372
Thanks

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can anyone explain to me what the HUAWEI model numbers mean? e.g. 5776; 5186; 5372
Thanks
They're just different models, some are 3G only, some 3G/4G, some have aerial sockets, some have displays, some don't ... they can also be exactly the same unit but with a different branding depending on who they were originally made for, for example the R215 is the same as the E5372.

Mobile receiver devices (ie MIFIs)
E5330 and E5331 - 3G only
E5776 has a display and does 3G and 4G
E5372 (also called R215 for Vodafone) has a display and does 3G and 4G but is a slightly older model

Home type receivers
E5186
B593

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
E5372 (also called R215 for Vodafone) has a display and does 3G and 4G but is a slightly older model

I'm wondering if 53 = 3G; 54=4G and 57=3+4G ;) and the last two models are just incrementing up in newness ...

I can't help looking for patterns lol.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
WE have one supplied by Motorhome wi-fi and fitted by Rhino installs with a roof mounted 3G/4G antenna (both very good people to deal with) . works very well, and as a bonus whilst wild camping in Scotland over new year, although we had no signal on our phones, we could make telephone calls via BT smart talk over the internet

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm wondering if 53 = 3G; 54=4G and 57=3+4G ;) and the last two models are just incrementing up in newness ...

I can't help looking for patterns lol.
... that doesn't work though as the E5372 does 3G and 4G ... keep looking! :D

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I had to google mifi after seeing this thread as I could not work out why people were picking up these wifi box's. I thought mifi might have been something different. Turns out its just a brand name.

I am still at a bit of a loss? Most decent phones can teather these days and have 4G connection. Most people here can probably afford one of these phones.

Am I missing something else? When we have been away recently in our new home I have taken my iPad and MacBook and connected to the internet by teathering to my iPhone7 and it works fine and I already pay for that so I can't understand why I would pay for another sim card?

Whats the crack?

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I had to google mifi after seeing this thread as I could not work out why people were picking up these wifi box's. I thought mifi might have been something different. Turns out its just a brand name.

I am still at a bit of a loss? Most decent phones can teather these days and have 4G connection. Most people here can probably afford one of these phones.

Am I missing something else? When we have been away recently in our new home I have taken my iPad and MacBook and connected to the internet by teathering to my iPhone7 and it works fine and I already pay for that so I can't understand why I would pay for another sim card?

Whats the crack?
No problem in the Uk but you can't usually tether when in Europe with a UK provider.
Mi-Fi enables full tethering plus with an antenna it will usually get better reception than a mobile phone.

Richard.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd choose an unlocked Huawei 4G. I don't think you'll need any aerial unless, perhaps, you're in a PVC.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'd choose an unlocked Huawei 4G. I don't think you'll need any aerial unless, perhaps, you're in a PVC.
It doesn't make any difference what vehicle you have IMV, we have a PVC and our MIFI works fine in that, both in the UK and abroad, without an external aerial.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Whats the crack?
You may pay for the ability to tether already but a lot of people don't have phone contracts that allow that or only allow it in the UK. When you go abroad the only real provider to use is Three as they don't charge you extra if you're in a Feel at home country but you cannot tether regardless of what contract you have.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back