xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Looking to buy MiFi router, any opinions or feedback on these two. The TP-Link has the largest capacity battery @ 2500maH compared to 1500maH on the Huawei. Cheers in advance.

Huawei E5577C Ultra-Fast 4G/LTE Unlocked 150 Mbps Portable Mobile Wi-Fi- Black (Genuine UK)

TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot (Share Dual Band Wi-Fi with Upto 10 Devices, Long Lasting Battery, Easy to Use, Unlocked) Pokemon Go Ready (M7350)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would not be solely influenced by battery capacity especially if you plan to use the device mainly in your MH and have a 12 volt USB charger.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We have the Huawei 5573 and found it as good as we need. The App is easy to log onto and use and gives you all the info you need. It also has the battery capacity info to keep an eye on battery usage. I too, like @Flamenca , wouldn't choose on battery alone. Ours has a 12v supply near by though. We have never run out of battery power whilst in use and always re-charge when we start off on a trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I would not be solely influenced by battery capacity especially if you plan to use the device mainly in your MH and have a 12 volt USB charger.
We have the Huawei 5573 and found it as good as we need. The App is easy to log onto and use and gives you all the info you need. It also has the battery capacity info to keep an eye on battery usage. I too, like @Flamenca , wouldn't choose on battery alone. Ours has a 12v supply near by though. We have never run out of battery power whilst in use and always re-charge when we start off on a trip.

The battery capacity was just one consideration,I am more interested in reliability and performance really. And any views from anyone who has bought either :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The battery capacity was just one consideration,I am more interested in reliability and performance really. And any views from anyone who has bought either :)
My unit has never let me down, but I have only had it 15 months or so. I got it from the deal that @Minxy Girl posted about some time ago. The only snag was when I changed sim card over when the Gb ran out, but I think that could have more operator error than device. :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With the new , no roaming charges, a dedicated mifi, is not now needed, just get a good data contract on your phone and just tether to that(y) I know you can with o2 not sure about others.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
With the new , no roaming charges, a dedicated mifi, is not now needed, just get a good data contract on your phone and just tether to that(y) I know you can with o2 not sure about others.
Nice one although my iphone 4S only has 3G and on PAYG with small data allowance which I never use but rolls over so worth a go (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Good point to bear in mind. I have a lot of data on my contract and would use this first, but I keep the MiFi as the sim is on 3 and phone on Vodafone. Just last weekend in the New Forest, Vodafone was no signal but I managed 4G with 3. The other advantage in poor signal areas is that you can shove the unit as far into the highest skylight you can for a signal or get a dedicated extension aerial. Phones generally are in use lower down inside the MH

Last edited:
Reactions: SMB
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I agree with Zigisla the advantage of MiFi is you can move it around the van and can tether to more than one piece of equipment. I currently have a contract with 3 for 30gb for £13 per month this was achieved by simply telling them I didn't want it anymore

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Another point I forgot to mention is if your away for any length of time it doesn't take much to use 4gb of data on your phone if you use it whilst walking around with Google maps and accessing trip advisor etc.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It depends on the individual circumstances, for instance in my case I mostly fulltime abroad so if I fall foul of the 60 day usage limit on my phone (on a rolling 30 day contract) whilst out of the UK I can cancel the phone sim (I have a backup PAYG sim) and still use my mifi along with a couple of the Three 12gb datasims which I swap around. Also tethering abroad is not strictly allowed as far as I can see from researching it and its possible you could again be cut off although there have been several posts about people being able to tether without a problem :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I agree with Zigisla the advantage of MiFi is you can move it around the van and can tether to more than one piece of equipment. I currently have a contract with 3 for 30gb for £13 per month this was achieved by simply telling them I didn't want it anymore
I have an 'all you can eat' Three simcard in my phone which gives you 30gb tethering data a month and I use the hotspot feature on it to use it as a mobile router so it is possible to connect more than one device to it. However this still uses my tethering allowance. Of course it depends if your phone has the hotspot feature, mine is a budget phone but fairly new (Motorola G4)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Looking to buy MiFi router, any opinions or feedback on these two. The TP-Link has the largest capacity battery @ 2500maH compared to 1500maH on the Huawei. Cheers in advance.

Huawei E5577C Ultra-Fast 4G/LTE Unlocked 150 Mbps Portable Mobile Wi-Fi- Black (Genuine UK)

TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot (Share Dual Band Wi-Fi with Upto 10 Devices, Long Lasting Battery, Easy to Use, Unlocked) Pokemon Go Ready (M7350)
I have the Huawei E5577 mifi and it has worked everywhere I have been so far although sometimes I have to place it in the roof skylight to get a strong signal! It has the twin-port external antenna socket which I intend to try out when the cheap antenna arrives from Ebay (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I have the Huawei E5577 mifi and it has worked everywhere I have been so far although sometimes I have to place it in the roof skylight to get a strong signal! It has the twin-port external antenna socket which I intend to try out when the cheap antenna arrives from Ebay (y)
Can you report back your findings please. I too am looking into an aerial, but would like first hand experience first please.(y);)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Huawei E5573 and use this antenna with it: Amazon product ASIN B00DN3J03O (cost £30.99 when we bought it). We find it definitely gives an improvement - not huge, but enough to turn a poor signal into a usable one.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would choose the Huawei as you can attach antenna if required. I have the Huawei and a Netgear Aircard which can also take an antenna. Both work well but on the whole I prefer Huawei feels that it is a tad quicker at picking up signals and it can extend Wifi. Not used TPLink, but have found without a good external antenna in some areas the devices are useless.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Can you report back your findings please. I too am looking into an aerial, but would like first hand experience first please.(y);)
No problem though it will only be how it works in a house until the end of July when we go to Scotland before heading abroad so you may have taken the plunge already by then! :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
This is the one I ordered, cheap enough to chuck away if its rubbish:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have the TP unit and it is superb. The app is great as well. However, it has no antenna connectors, not that I have ever found an antenna that works as well as the maker/seller claims or indeed even works much at all. So please with it. Usually it only needs resiteing to improve things. Have a Tupperware container that fits nicely for putting it up on the roof. Remember with my Super :inlove: Winnebago :inlove:, it has a ladder at the back and the roof is mighty strong for walking on, even for my fat arse. I even have a three metre length of rainwater pipe to stick on the ladder, with the box attached, that gets it up another 6ft, making it around 15ft in total into the sky. Rarely have a failure. (y)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have an 'all you can eat' Three simcard in my phone which gives you 30gb tethering data a month and I use the hotspot feature on it to use it as a mobile router so it is possible to connect more than one device to it. However this still uses my tethering allowance. Of course it depends if your phone has the hotspot feature, mine is a budget phone but fairly new (Motorola G4)
This is my setup as well only O2 instead of three, no problems at all last week in France , no extra charge at all and tethered.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use the Huawei 5573 you can buy a 12gig Three data sim for £23 and it lasts for 12 months, just got back from France and no problems at all where ever we was.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I use the Huawei 5573 you can buy a 12gig Three data sim for £23 and it lasts for 12 months, just got back from France and no problems at all where ever we was.

I have a 12gb data sim which I bought from mymemory.co.uk, was surprised when it arrived from Bürglen, Switzerland !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a 12gb data sim which I bought from mymemory.co.uk, was surprised when it arrived from Bürglen, Switzerland !
And marked on the outside of the envelope as having a value less than £15 no doubt. This is because goods from Switzerland less than £15 don't attract VAT. It's VAT fraud of course but they seem to be getting away with it - for now.

I've just had one delivered a few days ago. :)

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
I have just taken a 50GB/month contract from 3 for about £25 a month.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just taken a 50GB/month contract from 3 for about £25 a month.
Yes I really think this is the way to go now, and actually the data is cheaper than buying a dedicated data / mifi setup, although of course you have to pay it every month whether you use it or not, but if you have a smart phone you are going to have a sim in it so might as well have one with plenty data, then it's all in the one thing, no messing about with other things and changing sims and stuff.

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
There's the pair of us on the waggon on this trip and since I work 'from home', I need a good wifi for the computers on board. The only downside to this MIFI lark is that there isn't a good firewall inside these devices.

What I want, really really want, is something which has:
- Excellent antenna (that works)
- Good wifi range
- USB charging (so it stays plugged into the Gin Palace's internal USB socket as my current one does)
- Configurable firewall

My Huawei satisfies the middle two of these requirements, the internal antenna isn't bad but the lack of the firewall concerns me. And, yes, I do have good antiMalware on my Windows 7 machines but it's the XP machines and the phones which are more vulnerable.

So, if anyone know of anything, please shout.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Ordered the Huawei E5573C just now so hopefully it will be here for the weekend :) thank you to all for input (y)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

The only downfall with that Idea; I can often get a good signal on my Mifi when I can't get a bar on my iPhone....

That was my reason for ditching £23 pcm contract... all I could eat data with 30gig tether...
For £9 basic with 8gig on phone...

And opting for mifi 20gig pcm @ £23

;)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
With regard to the 60-day limit on 3, surely there's nothing to stop you juggling 2 or 3 separate sims? Higher cost but the unused credit will still be there on each sim?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back