Mifi in France - does anybody know what they are talking about?? (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yesterday I bought a PAYG for broadband at a 3 shop.:)
I was given a phone number to call to find out if the sim works in France.:cautious:
Talked to one person who finally told me they didn't know but would pass me over to the 'feel at home' team. They told me it wouldn't work in France!!:cry:
Today I tried to create a My3 account but as it sends you a password I couldn't access it as it's a Hauwei device.:madder:
Phoned again, passed to various people and finally to the tech team who said they couldn't give me a temporary password as it is 'confidential':rolleyes:
But
the guy went on to tell me that I do not need to have a 'feel at home' add on as the PAYG sim is pre-activated for 'feel at home' usage abroad.:sneaky:
I'll find out tomorrow when we get there!!
(I hope my phone bill doesn't explode with all these call to India!;))

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I just put mine in the dongle and it worked. I think you have to activate it in the UK before you leave though.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine worked in France a couple of weeks ago, just switched on the mi fi , no problem (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I got a mifi from 3 last week and took out a contract £5 per month. I also transferred my phone contract from vodafone to 3 at the same time. If you don't have a contract the advice is apparently to get a 3 PAYG sim and then get an add-on!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Mine had all of 3 days.
Obviously not all 3 sims are the same Dave .... I took out a new contract with 3 just before travelling in 2012 expecting it to work abroad only to find they would not allow roaming for 30 days.
I have also recently set up a payg 3 sim with the same condition.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I thought most 3 sims required 30 days after activation before you can use them abroad.
If I remember it correctly, contract SIMs require 30 days, but PAYG SIMs can be used abroad immediately.

No idea why - probably some sort of anti-fraud precaution.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I thought most 3 sims required 30 days after activation before you can use them abroad.

I'm sure I read somewhere that's only the case for contract sims. For PAYG you can use them straight away (presumably after having first activated them in the UK).

EDIT: TheCaller beat me to it :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason I took out the PAYG 3 wifi sim was that I could top up when I needed it whilst ravelling. My home wifi is perfectly adequate when am not. Although I have a 3 sim only contract for my phone, I do not have any internet on it, as I only use my phone for what it was intended. I used my 3 phone many times in France to call the UK, and as I pay just over £6 per month for calls, it worked out very cheap for me.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yipee I can add to this on the 3rd September when we cross the channel as I have a PAYG sim in my mifi that I have been using for over 30 days and a sim not as yet used that lasts for 90 days. The 3 shop says no need to buy add ons as these are for phones, but do they really know what they are talking about, we can only rely on experience from other members so keep posting

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Does anyone know if the three pre-loaded sims are any good
According to Three, you can get 3gb preloaded for £20.00 which costs same to use in France as UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back