Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
Hi
I've been looking at mifi as an alternative to sattelite and have seen some threads on here but am confused about what equipment to use. I looked at the motorhome mifi site and their stuff looks good but seems expensive. As I've got a PVC I'm limited as to where I could roof mount an ariel and am not sure about having a hole drilled in the roof anyway.
Has anyone put their own set up together, found an alternative to a fixed roof aerial such as a magnetic set up, only used as and when required, or even successfully used an internal booster Ariel? Or may be have not required anything more than a wifi booster. It'd be used for Tv watching as the fixed omnidirectional Ariel I've got for that isn't that great.
I've got a Roku streaming stick, recently acquired, which seems seems to work really well allowing viewing of all the main catchup sites, IPlayer etc, and loads of other stuff including Netflix. All this provided of course if wifi is available or a decent mobile signal.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I use this, it has fantastic battery life if you want to use it off grid, you can link loads of devices to it, this is the latest version there are cheaper earlier version but this has a great range, have used it around the world with a 3 mobile SIM. Note on this model you can't attach an aerial, some of the cheaper ones you can but I have never needed an aerial.

Amazon product ASIN B074XKDB4G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mifi certainly the Huawei ones are better at picking up data signals than a phone, so depending on where you camp you may not need an aerial.

I don't see the problem with drilling a hole in the roof, if you do want good reception in remote areas a rooftop aerial is the way to go. I fitted the Poynting MIMO 1-1 about £125 you will need connection leads about £25.
Works well we are often in areas where our phones can't get a signal but the MiFi with the aerial pulls in a either a 3G or 4G signal.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-wifi-antenna-omni-a-mimo-1-1.html

This was my fitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Hi. Lenny HB has it sorted.
If it helps, here is my experience of using my van both in UK and France. In most places I can stream using the phone as a hotspot. Where phone signals are poor then a mifi will usually pull in a much improved signal. If that is not enough then I have a Ponting Puck aerial with a magnetic base which I put on the roof of the PVC. The Ponting Puck gives a marginal improvement. I think it’s potential performance is somewhat diminished because it has long connector leads to the mifi. In fact the mifi works better without the aerial connected in most reasonable reception areas. I find I very rarely need to use my aerial but it can make that critical improvement. I would consider a fitted Mimo aerial with short lead to be better solution.
As a reminder; use a appropriate UK sim in Europe to ensure you can stream all your UK tv programs.

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Ponting Puck gives a marginal improvement. I think it’s potential performance is somewhat diminished because it has long connector leads to the mifi.
You need to keep the leads down to under a meter, I have seen some Puck's sold with 5 m cables that will wipe out any signal gain.
I use the more expensive Mi-Mo, very impressed at how well it can pull in a signal and what is most noticeable is even in good signal areas it doubles the data upload speed which is important to me.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This is the motorhome WiFi setup I installed for the same reason. Have been very impressed with it. Really easy to fit and self sealing to the roof so no worries about water ingress.

We have found the aluminium walls inhibit signal much more than our GRP walled caravan did. This has made the external aerial essential.

We haven’t been without a signal in the few months it has been installed and though pricey, works a treat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 144
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Looks like you have some serious thermal transfer to the aluminum fittings unless I am seeing things is that condensation?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Looks like you have some serious thermal transfer to the aluminum fittings unless I am seeing things is that condensation?

It is condensation, always happens in the mornings. Has been the same with every aerial I have ever used that goes through the roof. I was checking it every time it rained initially and thankfully, it is just condensation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I just tether to my phone, no problems in western europe, but possible a PVC will screen out more of the signal.
I take it you don't camp in remote areas. Our last trip across northern Spain and north & central Portugal about 40% of the places we stopped the Mifi with the external aerial pulled in a data signal when the phones wouldn't.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I've got the same as Googlebot. I have a firestick with iptv. I get around 12-15mbs which is enough to watch sd channels and stream films or catch up. I'm on vodafone unlimited data. I've not had to resort to using the tv aerial yet, but of course it depends on your location.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I use this, it has fantastic battery life if you want to use it off grid, you can link loads of devices to it, this is the latest version there are cheaper earlier version but this has a great range, have used it around the world with a 3 mobile SIM. Note on this model you can't attach an aerial, some of the cheaper ones you can but I have never needed an aerial.

Amazon product ASIN B074XKDB4G

I use this too - never found a need to cut the roof. Used all over France this year, across the UK as well and never had problem streaming using Vodafone 100Gb plan

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Just stuck my MiFi to the window with blu tac - works very well, so no Aeriel needed so far!?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Mifi certainly the Huawei ones are better at picking up data signals than a phone, so depending on where you camp you may not need an aerial.

I don't see the problem with drilling a hole in the roof, if you do want good reception in remote areas a rooftop aerial is the way to go. I fitted the Poynting MIMO 1-1 about £125 you will need connection leads about £25.
Works well we are often in areas where our phones can't get a signal but the MiFi with the aerial pulls in a either a 3G or 4G signal.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-wifi-antenna-omni-a-mimo-1-1.html

This was my fitting.
I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole so I just velcro'd the MIFI unit to the side of the skylight aperture and it seemed to work a treat for me. No need for power supply either. I haven't used the MIFI for ages as I haven't found many places in Europe where I don't get that good a signal but yes the MIFI unit will help get a stronger signal than the just the phone.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is condensation, always happens in the mornings. Has been the same with every aerial I have ever used that goes through the roof. I was checking it every time it rained initially and thankfully, it is just condensation.
I solved this with the cap off an aerosol can lined with foam. With suitable cut-outs for the cables it fits over the bottom of the antenna. No more condensation. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I haven't found many places in Europe where I don't get that good a signal but yes the MIFI unit will help get a stronger signal than the just the phone.
Our last 6½ week trip down to Portugal 75% of the time we wouldn't have had data without the MiFi & roof aerial. Just depends where you go, if always near towns or popular destinations probably not a problem.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I solved this with the cap off an aerosol can lined with foam. With suitable cut-outs for the cables it fits over the bottom of the antenna. No more condensation. :)
would some electrical tape / foam backed tape to cover the bare metal do enough to stop the condensation?

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
would some electrical tape / foam backed tape to cover the bare metal do enough to stop the condensation?
I'm sure that would work, I don't think you would need a lot either if it had a layer of foam. Try a couple of layers and see how it gets on. Good idea. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back