Mifi box worth it ? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have a generous data allowance on your mobile phone, you may not need a MiFi device. But getting one may give you greater flexibility. A MiFi can connect to several devices (whereas your phone may only allow tethering to one) and also provides freedom to get your data from a different provider. I’ve used an old Huawei unit, without auxiliary aerial, for several years and it’s served us well. We now have a 5G-ready device and happy with that, too (it serves as a WiFi extender as well as a mobile data receiver).

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
@DBK
I saw this through an American tech newsletter that comes my way. I'm new to motorhoming and am just about to get going. I'll be staying in the UK for at least the first year. My concern is just getting a decent internet connection. I'm back in the UK in November. So far I've got a data Sim from Three - for my iPad, to act as a hotspot. Growing up in the Fens, it's for sure I'm going to need an antenna of some kind.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK
I saw this through an American tech newsletter that comes my way. I'm new to motorhoming and am just about to get going. I'll be staying in the UK for at least the first year. My concern is just getting a decent internet connection. I'm back in the UK in November. So far I've got a data Sim from Three - for my iPad, to act as a hotspot. Growing up in the Fens, it's for sure I'm going to need an antenna of some kind.
Have a look at the Huewei 5577 MiFi. It will create a WiFi zone in your vehicle and if you find you need an external antenna (most don't bother) then there is a wide range to choose from. I've fitted an antenna on the roof but at £125 or thereabouts this may not suit everyone but it will pick up a signal almost anywhere.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I no longer use my mifi as I find it easier and faster just to tether the tablets etc to my phone with Vodafone. The only time this doesn't work is if I go off somewhere and leave SWMBO in the motorhome. She can use her own phone to tether if needed but for such rare occasions doesn't usually bother.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AquaPikey

Free Member
Oct 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 690HB
Exp
10 Years
Although I would prefer to have a mifi that had an aerial socket there are times you can find a signal in odd places. Twice I have found a usable signal by trying different places. First time it was placing it flat under the bedroom rooflight (using the blind to keep it there) and the second time propped upright on the frame of a higher level window above the garage. On both occassions there was no reception anywhere outside but it was reasonably reliable in these odd places. My theory is that the body of the van or the frame of the window are helping to concentrate a very weak signal and you just have to find the sweet spot. Someone with more technical knowledge may be able to explain it, I only know that twice I have been able to get a signal where I didn't expect to get one.

I know it has been a while since this post but I thought I would clear up a couple of things that might help you and others in the future. Firstly, as others have mentioned in this thread, they sometimes relate to Antennas as "Aeriels" but they are in fact two different things. An Aeriel only receives but an Antenna sends and receives. Next, you should always remember that all Antenna's should be on the same plane, normally upright.
Blocking of your Phone/Wifi/Mifi/Radio signal is known as "Screening". You should always remember to try to avoid unnecessary screening of your Antenna so if possible try to get one that you can place outdoors. Most Motorhomes are lined with foil in their insulation and therefore cause a huge screening affect and be aware that although not as bad as a motorhome wall, windows are also good at screening radio signals. Because walls and large objects are good at screening, they can also be used to reflect a signal which can be handy when you are in a tightly packed area.
Also remember that placing your antenna on top of a metallic object can aid signal strength by causing what is known as a false ground plane.
It is also good practice to avoid any sort of power line crossing your signal path as these can cause a huge amount of interference and block your signal completely.
Finally, line of sight is most important, you will be most successful in gaining a good signal if you can see the receiving antenna from the sending antenna and vice versa. Any obstacle, including buildings and trees that obscure your line of sight will screen and weaken your signal to varying degrees.
These are just some of the basic rules I use when trying to improve my signals and hopefully this info will aid anyone that finds it difficult to find a signal in the future.

AquaPikey

Free Member
Oct 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 690HB
Exp
10 Years
Sorry that is BS, Antenna is just the American word for an Aerial.
@Lenny HB Hmmm, I don't think so, go and flame someone else you rude person! Besides, where did you get that short sighted opinion? Or is that just something that someone told you once?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Lenny HB Hmmm, I don't think so, go and flame someone else you rude person! Besides, where did you get that short sighted opinion? Or is that just something that someone told you once?
Perhaps reading Rule 1 of the forum would help ... if you disagree that's fine but please don't make it personal as you may end up in Coventry and that's not somewhere you want to go ... honestly you don't ... there are spider and snakes there (so I'm told as I've never been!)! :D

AquaPikey

Free Member
Oct 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 690HB
Exp
10 Years
Sorry Minxy Girl, I just found it rather rude that someone would reply to my post that was posted with the intention of helping by being called a B****hitter. Unfortunately, if someone takes a swing at me, my first reaction is to swing back. I have read the rules and I'm sure that Lenny has too, I just think that there was no need to say something rude. Kind of makes you not want to post when the first reply is like that.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Sorry that is BS, Antenna is just the American word for an Aerial.
Well perhaps not BS but certainly not correct. Aerial and antenna can be used interchangeably. Antenna is a North American term. From the wire aerials to the whips I have used as a professional since the 1960's, these are all called aerials in English. Antenna started to creep in as a term for the long whip type, for obvious reasons, but either can be used for transmission or reception. There is some use in what AquaPikey said about shielding and placement BUT only in relation to transmitting/receiving device aerials at VHF frequencies and above.

AquaPikey

Free Member
Oct 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 690HB
Exp
10 Years
"An aerial is a device or a piece of wire that receives television or radio signals and is usually attached to a radio, television, car, or building.
[British]
...a saucer-shaped satellite television aerial.
...the radio aerials of cars.
regional note: in AM, use antenna"
COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publisher

Just to satisfy you, as in North America, the term "Antenna" is used instead of Aerial. In the UK the term "Antenna" and "Aerial" may be used and are in fact interchangeable according to the English Dictionary.
If you speak to any professional communications worker/expert you won't find one that calls an "Antenna" an "Aerial" because of the difference between the two due to the understood perceptions that an Aerial only receives and an Antenna transmits and receives. The use of the word "Antenna" in British communication has been commonly used since WW2. To say that "Antenna is just the American word for Aerial" is ignorant. Do you ask for a "Sausage in a bread roll" or a "Hot Dog"? Would you use the term "Savvy ,up and coming intelligent businessperson" or "Entrepreneur"? Have you ever had a computer "Glitch"? All adopted from other cultures into English language alongside many others. This does not mean that because these words are used to describe something, that they are incorrect because they are not originally English.

I also was a professional in radio and data communication as well being a signals detachment commander and lead instructor for the Bowman/Yeoman Infantry trials in Warminster in the 1990's. I have also used many varying Antenna's Wire and fixed mobile to 8, 12 and 30m masts in HF, VHF and UHF formats. I have used many Aerials too, on my TV and my car radio. There's even one built in to my "Receiver" in the home security lights monitor.

There is some use in what AquaPikey said about shielding and placement BUT only in relation to transmitting/receiving device aerials at VHF frequencies and above.

Completely incorrect, HF also, and most importantly is affected by shielding and siting. I know this as I have used HF 320 Manpack Radio to communicate from Washington State to Portishead Radio (Commonly Ship to Shore) in South West England (Half a world away) using Skywave and a half-wave Dipole without the use of a balun. Although Skywave is less affected by position and obstructive objects in comparison to Groundwave signals due to its characteristics and its method of travel (Ionospheric), it is still affected, especially if you wish to be successful in long range radio communication with a weak output. (Also helps if you urinate on the ground under the antenna)

My point was not to argue the facts about what either of these items do, or the origin of a particular word, it was simply to assist people that might need help with their antenna siting. It saddens me that anyone would take pleasure at pointing out what is a difference of opinion instead of what is the considerable meat of my post.:frowny:

I joined Motorhome Fun to glean information and help from its members and hopefully return some help in thanks. I shall remain silent in future...

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Damn and there was me thinking I knew what I was doing for the last 60 years. Washington State to Portishead, not bad though I think possibly Tasmanian Sea to Portishead beats that. Glad you agree your original post was wrong and that aerial and antenna are interchangeable and not specific tx or rx terms. On shielding as you well know I was referring to the types of shielding you were talking about in your original message. I never said HF wasn't affected by some types of obstruction. As you say skywave is less affected and at HF freqs that's the most important part of the transmission path. None of which has anything to do with mifi. In posting here to generally non-techies it helps to keep things as accurate and as simple as possible, which most of your post was.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"An aerial is a device or a piece of wire that receives television or radio signals and is usually attached to a radio, television, car, or building.
[British]
...a saucer-shaped satellite television aerial.
...the radio aerials of cars.
regional note: in AM, use antenna"
COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publisher

Just to satisfy you, as in North America, the term "Antenna" is used instead of Aerial. In the UK the term "Antenna" and "Aerial" may be used and are in fact interchangeable according to the English Dictionary.
If you speak to any professional communications worker/expert you won't find one that calls an "Antenna" an "Aerial" because of the difference between the two due to the understood perceptions that an Aerial only receives and an Antenna transmits and receives. The use of the word "Antenna" in British communication has been commonly used since WW2. To say that "Antenna is just the American word for Aerial" is ignorant. Do you ask for a "Sausage in a bread roll" or a "Hot Dog"? Would you use the term "Savvy ,up and coming intelligent businessperson" or "Entrepreneur"? Have you ever had a computer "Glitch"? All adopted from other cultures into English language alongside many others. This does not mean that because these words are used to describe something, that they are incorrect because they are not originally English.

I also was a professional in radio and data communication as well being a signals detachment commander and lead instructor for the Bowman/Yeoman Infantry trials in Warminster in the 1990's. I have also used many varying Antenna's Wire and fixed mobile to 8, 12 and 30m masts in HF, VHF and UHF formats. I have used many Aerials too, on my TV and my car radio. There's even one built in to my "Receiver" in the home security lights monitor.

Completely incorrect, HF also, and most importantly is affected by shielding and siting. I know this as I have used HF 320 Manpack Radio to communicate from Washington State to Portishead Radio (Commonly Ship to Shore) in South West England (Half a world away) using Skywave and a half-wave Dipole without the use of a balun. Although Skywave is less affected by position and obstructive objects in comparison to Groundwave signals due to its characteristics and its method of travel (Ionospheric), it is still affected, especially if you wish to be successful in long range radio communication with a weak output. (Also helps if you urinate on the ground under the antenna)

My point was not to argue the facts about what either of these items do, or the origin of a particular word, it was simply to assist people that might need help with their antenna siting. It saddens me that anyone would take pleasure at pointing out what is a difference of opinion instead of what is the considerable meat of my post.:frowny:

I joined Motorhome Fun to glean information and help from its members and hopefully return some help in thanks. I shall remain silent in future...
Don't go! :) The trick here is to recognise there are others with experience and knowledge too and they may have different opinions. :) For example, a lot of what you wrote is correct for HF and VHF but the much shorter wavelength signals used by mobile phones are barely affected by glass* and mobile phones are usually designed to be tolerant of orientation. 4g phones are also designed to accept multiple signals arriving from different directions, which can happen in a built up area where signals are reflected off buildings.

If there is one message worth spreading it is if your MiFi or phone is only getting a weak signal try it in a different location in the vehicle.

*Neither are VHF or HF either I think but the size of the aperture is a factor. :)

Reactions: JJ
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No idea why an old post of mine from 2017 should have been picked on to introduce a discussion about grammar but I am going to stick with the use of the words in question as defined by the Oxford English and New Oxford American dictionaries.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Aperture!! Where did that come from? It’s photography isn’t it? Come on lads, give we Luddites a chance :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back