Midlife Crisis Project

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Consider a max fan over the seating area, you will love it. I done a crafter conversion myself and it’s been fun but hat it’s challenges to.
Do not skimp on insulation and vapour barrier. Wish you the best with the built.

OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Consider a max fan over the seating area, you will love it. I done a crafter conversion myself and it’s been fun but hat it’s challenges to.
Do not skimp on insulation and vapour barrier. Wish you the best with the built.
I'd love a Maxxfan but sadly my budget doesn't allow one at the moment, after costing it all up I will have already overspent! Especially with the wife requesting things like a decent hob and grill and a proper toilet, didn't realise how much a good bog cost, I spent more on the one for me van than the one in the house, same goes for the cooker and fridge, why are these things soooo expensive!

For the moment I've gone for 2 Fiamma Turbo Vent 28s, one for the front seating area and one for the kitchen area, the 28s fitted nicely between the ribs on the roof so no filling mastic needed and hopefully no leaks. I've also got two mushroom vents at the rear in the bedroom area and toilet room, I did have a spinny air driven vent for the toilet room but the constant rotation noise has put me off so I have replaced it for a mushroom vent.

As for the insulation I've headed the advice given and got over my tightness, going to go for a mix of celotex and recycled plastic or sheepswool all sealed up with a vapor barrier.:xThumb:

It's definitely challenging, but fun seeing it all come together after all the planning.

OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, after a Christmas break I've been back on the build, pulling out all the electrics and re routing due to a revised layout, all neatly in conduit so should I need to change anything then I can just add or remove without too much faff.
I used black plastic waste pipe down both sides to route the wires, most of this is running inside cupboards so it shouldn't be too unsightly.
I've put in wires for the following, anything missed? Let me know!
Lights
Water pump
Awning lights
Tv
Usbs
Cooker spark
Heater
Under counter lights
Fans
Water level sender
Bmv controller
Solar controller
Fridge

And hook up wires for
Sockets
Electric hob on cooker
Outside socket
Battery charger

So much to remember🤯
IMG_20200110_100544.jpg
IMG_20200110_100602.jpg
IMG_20200110_100615.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Toilet flush?
Electric step
Extra wire for PV upgrade
Gas sensor?

The bmv monitor has its own data cable, hard to do the crimp on that rj 12.
Best to route it’s own cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Toilet flush?
Too posh for me, just a manual

Electric step
Again way to posh, would be nice though, maybe I'll put a cable in for a future upgrade!

Extra wire for PV upgrade
Was going to run in series

Gas sensor?
What sort of gas sensor, I've only ever had a carbon monoxide detector before?

The bmv monitor has its own data cable, hard to do the crimp on that rj 12.
Best to route it’s own cable.
I've routed the cable that came with it, like you say they are a bugger to crimp!

Interesting to Learn about the gas sensor though, something I've never thought of before

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also PV In series is bad with shade. Best is parallel. If you get shade on one will not pull the other one down.
In series any shade will pull the hole string down.
And one I did forget was, tv cable to a outside socket for hookup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Tv aerial sorted! As for the solar, I've heard mixed reports on which way to connect them up, sill undecided so I'll probably chuck in an extra cable just incase.

Managed to get the awning sorted today, it's starting to look like a proper motorhome now!

IMG_20200112_135300.jpg

Need a wider driveway though 😁

Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Rhino Installs
Johns Cross
Funster Discounted tickets to the NEC Show
SMC Motorhomes Newark
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance