Midi - WiFi - internet in the Hymer (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I seem to remember reading somewhere on the site how to install and what to install in the motor home to receive the internet. I think it was a modem type unit in the Moho with a USB port for an external aerial or a SIM card holder for reception and a RJ45 port for pc connection and a WiFi facility, tia
Alan

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Many thanks Boringfrog, it looks like you’ve put me in the right direction

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I seem to remember reading somewhere on the site how to install and what to install in the motor home to receive the internet. I think it was a modem type unit in the Moho with a USB port for an external aerial or a SIM card holder for reception and a RJ45 port for pc connection and a WiFi facility, tia
Alan
That thread may not cover everything. In brief, to get on the Internet you have three main choices:

• Use a smartphone.
  • Use a MiFi
  • Log onto local WiFi.
For the first option your sim card will need a reasonable data allowance and then you can just use the 'phone on its own or set it up to act as a local WiFi hotspot. If you do the latter other devices can log in and share the 'phone's connection. Setting up the local hotspot should be straightforward and can be done through the phone's settings.

A MiFi, and Huawei seem to make the most widely used, will give you the option to use a pure data card and an external aerial. An external aerial isn't essential but it will improve reception at times. A MIMO aerial which has two wires is best so I would advise getting a MiFi with two aerial sockets. You can buy rooftop mounted aerials but they are expensive - £100+. I use an aerial like a flat black plate about 6" square or so which you stick to the window and this works well. However, I am seriously considering fitting a permanent rooftop aerial. The Three PAYG sim card is frequently used with a MiFi and you can get these at a good price when there are special offers. On my current trip I've used a Vodafone sim card on a rolling monthly contract. This has given faster connections than the Three card in Italy and France. I haven't tried it anywhere else yet.

WiFi is sometimes available free on campsites. When this is available a device which can pick it up at a distance and then rebroadcast within your MH is very useful. The iBoost is the most well known but a company called Solwise do one as well I think. You can make your own but you won't save a huge amount of money. These type of WiFi boosters do give some folk problems so if you aren't very familiar with using WiFi and logging in to different networks you may be best just sticking with a MiFi as you generally are if the camp WiFi has to be paid for. Public WiFi networks may also not be as secure as a direct broadband connection. I wouldn't use one for banking, for example, though I guess you will probably be safe but I won't risk it. Some MiFi devices can log onto WiFi networks but these are not boosters. I've used this feature occasionally when the camp WiFi signal was very strong. Once the MiFi is logged in your other devices then just connect to the MiFi as normal without the need to log into the camp WiFi network.

A 4th option in Europe is the FON network but very few folk seem to able to log into it, myself included. :) You used to be able to buy a cheap device to do this but these are no longer for sale.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Huweii UNLOCKED MIFI from 3
About £50 on tinternet. Stick ANY sim card in from ANY country and you can go online anywhere with up to 5 PC's.
We have used one all over Europe for 4 years and now roaming fees have gone its even better.
Mitch.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
About £50 on tinternet. Stick ANY sim card in from ANY country and you can go online anywhere with up to 5 PC's.
We have used one all over Europe for 4 years and now roaming fees have gone its even better.
Mitch.
Good point, I forgot to mention the MiFi should be unlocked though it is possible to unlock most of them - with the exception of some tied to Vodafone I seem to recall. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mitch.
Better deal here ...

Broken Link Removed

A new 4G one from Currys/PC World for £9.99 plus 1 month contract for a chap sim (cancel the contract immediately so you only pay 1 month), that way you get a 1 year guarantee with it (unlocking costs 99p via Ebay if it's not already unlocked which most nowadays are).

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Better deal here ...

Broken Link Removed

A new 4G one from Currys/PC World for £9.99 plus 1 month contract for a chap sim (cancel the contract immediately so you only pay 1 month), that way you get a 1 year guarantee with it (unlocking costs 99p via Ebay if it's not already unlocked which most nowadays are).
Thanks just ordered one, being thinking of getting one for a while. At this price who can resist it

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Better deal here ...

Broken Link Removed

Is this for real ?, they’ll let you cancel the contract ?

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Better deal here ...

Broken Link Removed

sorry to be dragging this post out and thanks for all the responses, but hopefully a couple of final questions,

1/ does the curry unit have facility for wired connection ? RJ45 for a laptop connection

2/ does the unit have connection for an aerial ?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
That thread may not cover everything. In brief, to get on the Internet you have three main choices:

• Use a smartphone.
  • Use a MiFi
  • Log onto local WiFi.
For the first option your sim card will need a reasonable data allowance and then you can just use the 'phone on its own or set it up to act as a local WiFi hotspot. If you do the latter other devices can log in and share the 'phone's connection. Setting up the local hotspot should be straightforward and can be done through the phone's settings.

A MiFi, and Huawei seem to make the most widely used, will give you the option to use a pure data card and an external aerial. An external aerial isn't essential but it will improve reception at times. A MIMO aerial which has two wires is best so I would advise getting a MiFi with two aerial sockets. You can buy rooftop mounted aerials but they are expensive - £100+. I use an aerial like a flat black plate about 6" square or so which you stick to the window and this works well. However, I am seriously considering fitting a permanent rooftop aerial. The Three PAYG sim card is frequently used with a MiFi and you can get these at a good price when there are special offers. On my current trip I've used a Vodafone sim card on a rolling monthly contract. This has given faster connections than the Three card in Italy and France. I haven't tried it anywhere else yet.

WiFi is sometimes available free on campsites. When this is available a device which can pick it up at a distance and then rebroadcast within your MH is very useful. The iBoost is the most well known but a company called Solwise do one as well I think. You can make your own but you won't save a huge amount of money. These type of WiFi boosters do give some folk problems so if you aren't very familiar with using WiFi and logging in to different networks you may be best just sticking with a MiFi as you generally are if the camp WiFi has to be paid for. Public WiFi networks may also not be as secure as a direct broadband connection. I wouldn't use one for banking, for example, though I guess you will probably be safe but I won't risk it. Some MiFi devices can log onto WiFi networks but these are not boosters. I've used this feature occasionally when the camp WiFi signal was very strong. Once the MiFi is logged in your other devices then just connect to the MiFi as normal without the need to log into the camp WiFi network.

A 4th option in Europe is the FON network but very few folk seem to able to log into it, myself included. :) You used to be able to buy a cheap device to do this but these are no longer for sale.
A further option is a satellite infection via the licks of an Oyster 85 internet system

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A further option is a satellite infection via the licks of an Oyster 85 internet system
I rather discounted that on grounds of cost :) but you are right of course, it is an option. But many sites we have been on in Europe have a lot of trees for shade and any sort of satellite reception would be difficult. So it is an option, and if I could justify the cost I would have it. We get by mostly using a MiFi or sometimes, as we are now, picking up free WiFi with a WiFi booster. Dog not essential. :)

IMG_20171019_182414-1640x1230.jpg

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I rather discounted that on grounds of cost :) but you are right of course, it is an option. But many sites we have been on in Europe have a lot of trees for shade and any sort of satellite reception would be difficult. So it is an option, and if I could justify the cost I would have it. We get by mostly using a MiFi or sometimes, as we are now, picking up free WiFi with a WiFi booster. Dog not essential. :)

View attachment 192891
Agreed, we have the system, but as yet have not bothered to take out a contact because the mifi & iboost are sufficient to date

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
sorry to be dragging this post out and thanks for all the responses, but hopefully a couple of final questions,

1/ does the curry unit have facility for wired connection ? RJ45 for a laptop connection

2/ does the unit have connection for an aerial ?
1. You can use a USB lead to connect the MIFI to your laptop, pc etc if you wish but there's no need - I can't remember if one comes with it as standard.
2. Yes it has 2 aerial points so you can get better aerial reception than a single aerial point but to be honest in all the years we've had MIFIs we've never ever needed to use a separate aerial!

I've had one of these MIFIs and they really are a very good reliable unit and whilst you don't get a digital display screen that's why they don't cost as much and less to go wrong but other than that are just as good as the ones with the screen.

If you get one you MUST cancel the contract immediately otherwise you'll end up paying for more than one month's internet as they all require 30 days notice, so if you leave it until the end of the initial 30 day period and then cancel you'll still have to pay for another month (although of course you can still use the internet for that month if you want to).

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I’m really sorry , I’ve ordered one from curry’s and should be collecting it today, but how do I cancel ?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
purchased last night had to purchase a rolling 30 day contraqct so opted for £15 5gb.
just rung 3 mobile and was able to cancel within 14 day cooling off period no charge
result
As I already have a 3gb 3 month PAYG 3 sim card :)
Purchased a while ago as thought wife tablet had sim slot it dont hence we just purchased this little beauty.
Just need to find a 12gb 12 month one on offer, best can find is £30 on amazon atm

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
many thanks, I'm off to Bluewater (Kent) shortly to collect the unit from Currys, sold out at my local Currys, Lakeside (Essex), but at least I get the local residents scheme both ways on the bridge and the tunnel .20p each way

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
purchased last night had to purchase a rolling 30 day contraqct so opted for £15 5gb.
just rung 3 mobile and was able to cancel within 14 day cooling off period no charge
result
As I already have a 3gb 3 month PAYG 3 sim card :)
Purchased a while ago as thought wife tablet had sim slot it dont hence we just purchased this little beauty.
Just need to find a 12gb 12 month one on offer, best can find is £30 on amazon atm
Did you physically purchase it in store/collect it the same day as you ordered it?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The skinflints are here again!
TinaL, mobile was crap on a PAYG basis, so found a deal which I thought was pretty good with Vodafone recently i.e new I Phone 6s unlimited calls & texts, with 16GB data on a 24 month contract for £29.99 PCM.
I trust that will be enough data per month with no rolling charges (dont know yet as haven't used it much)when we are travelling in the moho, as we will only use to check weather and search for sites/aires get the BBC news etc.
Now heres the maybe dumb ass question.....if we got a MiFi unit can the micro sim in the I Phone be removed from the phone and placed in the MiFi unit to download data?
Or shall I simply set up the I Phones hot spots as suggested earlier in this post.
I haven't a clue on all this stuff as never needed it before we got the moho.
Thanks for any assistance.
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
TinaL, mobile was crap on a PAYG basis, so found a deal which I thought was pretty good with Vodafone recently i.e new I Phone 6s unlimited calls & texts, with 16GB data on a 24 month contract for £29.99 PCM.
I trust that will be enough data per month with no rolling charges (dont know yet as haven't used it much)when we are travelling in the moho, as we will only use to check weather and search for sites/aires get the BBC news etc.
Now heres the maybe dumb ass question.....if we got a MiFi unit can the micro sim in the I Phone be removed from the phone and placed in the MiFi unit to download data?
Or shall I simply set up the I Phones hot spots as suggested earlier in this post.
Les
You can do it but not much point might as well just use the phone as a hot spot. Be aware if tethering to a PC you will use a lot more data as desktop sites use more data than mobile sites.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Les
Not a skinflint ... just money savvy!

You first need to check that you are allowed to tether especially abroad as some contracts forbid it. As for removing the sim and putting it in a MIFI - that's a definite no-no as they can detect you've done that and cut you off.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
FYI
I've just phoned 3 and requested that they change the rolling contract to a PAYG arrangement, the guy came out with all the sales blurb, of which initially I weren't too interested in, he said he'd go away for a minute, whilst he was away I contemplated the deal he offered, which was, 2Gb for £8.00 per month rolling contract, when I thought about it, being somewhere and the PAYG finishes, with no internet or wifi connection I would be without the internet for how long ???, so I've opted for the £8.00 month deal, let's see how it goes ?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Better deal here ...

Broken Link Removed

has that got two aerial sockets?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I know I've mentioned it before - and I don't know if it was a special time limited offer [there seemed to be a lot about due to new Uni year]...

But I signed up with Three for 40gb/mth for £14 free mifi gizmo... [20gb was £9]

...but it is a 24 month contract and the Huawei seems to be a budget version as there's no external aerial connectors.
...however, it seems to be able to pull in a strong signal when my phone barely registers one and being tiny I've just slotted it into the rooflight [I could make something more secure with a pad of velcro]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back