Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Have read loads of threads about midges in Scotland and various preventatives and remedies. What I can't find is specific info about best times to visit to avoid them. We are thinking of going round the coast of Scotland starting going east first during August. Do we need certifying as mad?? As usual all advice will be gratefully received. If there's a better time we can plan it for next year instead...... just want to avoid being eaten alive !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We use Avon skin so soft. Campsites in Scotland were selling it!!

Edit the green one is the one to use .

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I think it is called Bugbuster but it is a cream sold online by Napiers of Edinburgh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We used the pink but the green was the one on sale in the campsites I think.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Are we mad to go in August? Should we go at another time next year to minimise midge problem?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Anthea, Psychological I think in your mind cos that one doesn't work. Its only the blue /green one APPARENTLY
We were near the sea and it was windy so perhaps there weren't any then!!
I've tried to delete the photo so as not to confuse!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are we mad to go in August? Should we go at another time next year to minimise midge problem?

we have been told and it seems to work out right

midges do not fly if wind speed above 5mph

midges do not like hot sun

midges do not fly I the rain

we were in Scotland in August last year, one location we have been to may time before at different times of the year was just too bad to get out of MH

We stopped at Kinlochewe CC site years ago when caravanning and when we asked about midges were told you are normally alright till June, we arrived on the 30th May and were fine for 2 days had to leave on the 1st June they came out so badly

we also learnt on that site to avoid water and bushes and especially the 2 together

no repellants have done it for us, although we do have best success with Jungle Formula roll on

plus keep an eye on midgewatch as suggested above (smidgeup) they also make smidge another repellant

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The other two things to be aware of are a fishy female and a male. They run around mountains screaming ref2 ref2 all the time , most Scots have become used to this ranting and tend to ignore it .but it can be a bit boring to many visitors.lol I. Shall be there in June / July bugger the midges and i have really good earplugs for the fishes. Lol.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
starting going east first
That is a really good idea. We live on the north-east coast and have never been bothered at home by the little devils! When on the west coast we have used both Avon and Smidge products and they mostly worked for us (you'll always get the odd suicidal insect that will get through anything)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It has been known for some campsites in the west have had to close due to excessive midge populations.
The heaviest populations are in the wests damp and humid area, less so in the east but can still be bad.

Starting in the spring there are midge forecasts available on the internet.
Just Google smidge forecast.

Only the females bit but I defy you to tell male from female when they're buzzing around your head..... :D

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Well no one has actually said we're mad but we've got the drift! Thanks as always to everyone at our one stop advice shop!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Reading between the lines: there isn't a good time to avoid the midges unless you up to your ---------- Knees in snow.

Have wondered what's the best time to visit with out snow but cant quite get a definitive answer... Good Luck

And

Keep us posted!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Try the Hilldweller Method. Get a good supply of prime Aberdeen Angus. Place about a kilo 2 metres from where you want to sit. Sit keeping an eye on the beef. When it is about two thirds gone, around ten minutes, top it off with the next piece. Whatever you do don't let it go below one third left, they are greedy buggers and will go looking for a bigger portion, you.

The only other alternative involves scuba diving equipment.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Try the Hilldweller Method. Get a good supply of prime Aberdeen Angus. Place about a kilo 2 metres from where you want to sit. Sit keeping an eye on the beef. When it is about two thirds gone, around ten minutes, top it off with the next piece. Whatever you do don't let it go below one third left, they are greedy buggers and will go looking for a bigger portion, you.

The only other alternative involves scuba diving equipment.

Sir you deserve a commendation. I don't think like or funny quite hit the spot. cheers

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sir you deserve a commendation. I don't think like or funny quite hit the spot. cheers

You think I'm joking ? One a day, on my bike, I stopped to admire Loch Lomond, full bike kit, just took my helmet off. It took 6 weeks of reconstructive surgery before my wife recognised me, I looked like the Elephant man.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
You think I'm joking ? One a day, on my bike, I stopped to admire Loch Lomond, full bike kit, just took my helmet off. It took 6 weeks of reconstructive surgery before my wife recognised me, I looked like the Elephant man.

No Joke. Just recognition of your eloquence

newroader

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
Kings Lynn
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Eat loads of Marmite apparently - recommended by a lass called Nicola. Up there all through May and only got hit by a few of the wee beasties on Skye.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You see the Females fly by your window with a bloodless Goat in their claws., Easy to recognize the Male, they are the ones with small scissors cutting access through your Fly screen for the females

There is a cure to the Midge problem. Tiz a bit drastic, surfis to say there ain't no midges in Hirosima or Nakasaki.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Go anytime...as long as there's a really stiff breeze or its raining.
They don't like either.
Don't forget, a single raindrop is maybe 10X bigger than a smidge....and a lot heavier.
And imagine trying to fly a toy balsa wood glider in a 200mph wind...now scale it down to smidge size.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Avon 'skin so soft' is reputedly used by rufty tufty SAS soldiers on training exercises in Scotland.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
More bats are what we need, apparently. I was reading only yesterday that a single bat can eat 3,000 midges in one night.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
When I was a child my parents took me to Scotland every summer in touring caravan and I used to get eaten alive, in later life I found a cure for the problem DO NOT GO in the summer.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Take garlic tablets for s month or two before going and when there , It seems the garlic comes out on the skin and they don't like !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back