Midges in Norway (3 Viewers)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Thinking of doing Norway and Sweden next summer but was wondering if they suffer with midges like the west coast of Scotland does in the summer months.

Can anyone who has been comment on what it was like and if any areas of the countries are worse than others

Deleted User
Yes they do I'm afraid, early June onwards, sometimes vast swarms of them. Take insect cleaner for van windows as well. Some comfort can be found if you stick to coastal roads and the wind is blowing. Impossible to predict when you are going to encounter them, I got all the way to Nordkapp before they really became a problem (mid June), then had three or four days of hell through Northern part of Finland and no problem back through Sweden. Good luck and don't let it put you off, life time memories from a trip to Norway, I'm going back for sure.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've been to Norway in the summer for the last two years and hardly saw any midges or mosquitos. The only bad time we had was in Sweden when we went walking in a forest after drizzly rain and the mosquitoes came out with us!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
If going in summer to the north of Scandinavia then plan for the very worst you can possibly imagine with Mozzies - they won't disappoint you I'm sure. Hard to say when where - all depends - we have been eaten alive walking across a tarmac car park - yet ok near lakes in the forest at other times -

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We do carry a mozzie net but not had to use it yet. We're hopefully going again this summer and the net is already in.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We were okay in Norway (June) but in Sweden on more than one occasion we were told not to park under the trees and/or near water. We did once - only once................!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back