Midge situation in Scotland?! (1 Viewer)

KatyKate

Free Member
Jun 17, 2012
Witham
Funster No
MH
Fiat LMC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie, just bought our motorhome a month ago and had our first trip this weekend to the Suffolk coast. We were planning a trip up to Scotland for the last 2 weeks in August but after my first real encounter with midges whilst staying in a cottage at Ullswater over the Jubilee weekend, its put me off a bit! We were wanting to head up the west coast to Ullapool, just wondered if anyone is up that way could you let me know what the midge situation is......?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Can vary from day to day but it has been very dry for the last 2 weeks so not a problem at the moment, if it rains and stays warm it could be bad. However buy some Avon Skin so soft and apply liberally - it will do the trick. If you stay close to the sea that will reduce the risk considerably. Have a good trip and enjoy you holiday.
Norman

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Midges

It was dry where we are today, but no wind, which is just what they like, as well as warm and damp. We were seeing my son and his fiance off around 7.30 tonight and the midges were biting, we had to get back inside before too long:Blush:

Shortly after this I was phoning a friend who lives near Fort William and mentioned the little blighters. She suggested "Smidge" a spray repellant that I hadn't heard of before, she said it was brilliant! It is dearer than the Avon product, but just another idea to try.

Amazon link below for it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smidge-That-Midge-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00413715E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339972529&sr=8-1[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You can also

look at the Midge forecast at Broken Link Removed

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As people have said, it can vary greatly. Damp and calm brings them out big time, the slightest breeze and they cant fly.
Here at C.C. Morvich, we're pretty lucky. The tent field can get a few, especially at the back near the trees and bushes, but the main 'van area is pretty good in comparison to a lot of other sites in the area.
Without any shaddow of a doubt, Avon "Skin So Soft" is the best repellant I've come across........even if I do end up smelling like a ladies boudoir!:roflmto:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I was at Glen Nevis a few weeks ago and it was the worst I have seen it there for the little pests but I wouldn't let them put you off because it varies from place to place .

Never had a problem with them at Ullapool because of its coastal location .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back