Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Two wrongs never made a right.

Instead of getting uptight I just pass in the outside lane and get on with my journey. My journeys are often too long to allow myself to get so stressed.

Norman

You are right of course, but I think a lot of us have done it, even if in the past and I'm willing to bet that a few others would have liked to. As with your last paragraph, nowadays I tune into R4 or some classical stuff and try not to let the really dimwitted/unaware ones get to me.

I don't condone undertaking but sometimes I do it as well - guilty as charged, usually in heavier traffic keeping up with the flow of traffic

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I say again it is NOT your place to police what others do. YOU are the accident waiting to happen!!! :RollEyes:

I know it's not my place to police things.

I didn't mean to get middle lane hoggers so agitated to be honest.

From now on I am going to stay in the middle lane I think.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That's normally what I do really Norman.

I don't get stressed over these things though believe me.

The posts on here demonstrate that the problems on our motorways are deep seated and clearly there is a need for education.
How about driving above the speed limit Chris. How do you go about educating or re-training speeders. Remembering I can quote previous posts.
Or is it just lane hoggers that are in need of your teachings.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
::bigsmile: No I'm not the blonde driver... although I do drive a silver E320 usualy in the fast lane.
I would appreciate an up to date copy of the highway code, my 1968 copy is rather out of date LOL

Safe driving ....

Safe driving to you too::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How about driving above the speed limit Chris. How do you go about educating or re-training speeders. Remembering I can quote previous posts.
Or is it just lane hoggers that are in need of your teachings.:Cool:

Just lane hoggers::bigsmile:

Speeding is for empty roads with only yourself to harm:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My "logic" is this:

if there is nothing inside you so you are not overtaking, pull into the left hand lane. It's an overtaking lane, not a lane to dawdle in.

Your speed is completely irrelevant to what lane you should be in.

the inside lane is not the " slow lane".

[HI]As I said it's the law so observe it.
[/HI]
Once you have understood it obviously.
I might be wrong but I was fairly sure that driving in the boot of others was included in the most recent recommendations along with lane hogging or were you driving at the recommended distance behind this lady whilst attempting to re-train her. As you say the law is the law so observe it.:Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I might be wrong but I was fairly sure that driving in the boot of others was included in the most recent recommendations along with lane hogging or were you driving at the recommended distance behind this lady whilst attempting to re-train her. As you say the law is the law so observe it.:Cool:

But if she had been in the correct lane I wouldn't have been in her boot.

I was on the inside lane doing probably 20 mph more than her.

Is it really that hard or complicated to pull in once you have overtaken something on a completely empty motorway, or am I missing something here?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Of course it's wrong - but it is also usually effective at getting the message across, especially if someone overtakes at the same time. [HI]The myopic Mr Trilby Hatt in his elderly Honda civic probably wouldn't notice, though[/HI]
A bit ageist DD, are you suggesting most Fun members are both blind and suffer loss of concentration when driving.:Blush:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Is it really that hard or complicated to pull in once you have overtaken something on a completely empty motorway, or am I missing something here?
You are missing nothing Chris:Smile: Supposing this lady had been doing a true 70mph in the middle lane on this empty motorway. Would you still have passed her or not.:Cool:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
FCS! Another thread that's got taken over by the left wing, Daily Mail reading, tree hugging train spotters. One response to the fact that the middle lane problem was ongoing and we get pages of hand wringing posts as to why tailgating the errant motorist was in itself wrong. True, but let he who is without sin etc. :Doh:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I wonder how many accidents over the years have been the cause of serious pile ups on motorways by people performing that manouver.

And how many more have been caused by having to overtake in the outside lane when the inside lane is clear.

What annoys me even more is those drivers who overtake and immediately brake just to get in front of you taking away your braking distance.

Lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You are missing nothing Chris:Smile: Supposing this lady had been doing a true 70mph in the middle lane on this empty motorway. Would you still have passed her or not.:Cool:

If this lady was doing 70mph on an empty motorway she should still have been in the nearside lane.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

No. I would have done the same thing if there was nothing inside her on the left hand lane.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
FCS! Another thread that's got taken over by the left wing, Daily Mail reading, tree hugging train spotters. One response to the fact that the middle lane problem was ongoing and we get pages of hand wringing posts as to why tailgating the errant motorist was in itself wrong. True, but let he who is without sin etc. :Doh:
I was going to ask your opinion on rights and wrongs of motorway driving but living in Norfolk it is unlikely you will come across too many middle lanes.:Cool:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
No. I would have done the same thing if there was nothing inside her on the left hand lane.

What if she was eating a piece of fruit in a very seductive manner?:roflmto:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Having been a driving instructor for a short while, and having had many conversations with drivers who passed their test in an earlier era, it became apparent that that was the last time they looked at a highway code or bothered to keep up with new legislation.
Some of them firmly believed that the nearside lane was for trucks, the middle lane for cars and the third, or other outside lanes if there were more than three, were for overtaking.
I know I am going to get some stick for this, but I honestly believe that ALL of us should have to take some form of re-training, not necessarily a test, at the most ten years after we pass our tests, and ten years after that and so on.
I can hear the "who is going to pay for it" arguments etc. but I think it is the only way to educate people and to point out that times and rules change ever faster, and as people won't learn by choice, then compulsion it has to be. How often do you hear people say stuff like "I passed my test years ago and I am a very good driver. Never had an accident in forty years". Probably never been past 50 mph on a motorway and 40 mph on an A road either. Doesn't know how to use a slip road (treats it as a junction) and just comes on to a motorway and moves straight across into the middle lane, because it's for cars.
After all, we pass our tests and have never been on a motorway until the first time on our own. Pass Plus was supposed to address this by encouraging people who have just passed their tests to go out with an instructor and learn motorway and faster road skills. The incentive was lower insurance rates. The problem is that it is not compulsory, so it is largely ignored, so no one is learning the skills necessary for modern motorway driving and the older ones amongst us are not bothering to "upgrade" our knowledge because "we are good drivers anyway, so why should we bother".

That's it, rant over.
Bottle of red about to be opened before I go out on my motorbike and terrorise some car drivers. :winky: :hardhat:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And those who go faster and faster as you try to overtake especially if your in a motorhome and they think it's beneath them to be overtaken I know it happens because I've often got it on cruise control so it's not me.

The real problem is that no-one lets you out of the nearside lane to overtake if you get stuck behind a slower vehicle so everyone stays in the middle lane so as not to get stuck......except the dozy slow ones. To make a point I usually overtake and move into the nearside lane as I pull away they often then move into the correct lane the nearside NOT SLOW lane!!

David

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I was going to ask your opinion on rights and wrongs of motorway driving but living in Norfolk it is unlikely you will come across too many middle lanes.:Cool:

Plenty of middle lanes on the way to Old Trafford, and Dover. :winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If this lady was doing 70mph on an empty motorway she should still have been in the nearside lane.
The lady is not part of this debate her position is fixed, Chris on the other hand was reporting on his own experience. Should he have overtaken another car on the motorway at above 70 mph whatever lane it was driving in.:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

You have to realise that we cannot all be perfect.::bigsmile: BUSBY

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when im sat in the middle lane with cruise on doing 80,eating my sandwiches,rolling a fag,or checking my emails or paperwork there's nothing more annoying than some blond bimbo sat in the same lane doing 60 mph,i have to put down what im doing and indicate and pull out in front of some burk in a merc doing 90 then put up with the flack from him/her,all because a blond bimbo cant drive proper:Smile:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
And how many more have been caused by having to overtake in the outside lane when the inside lane is clear.

Lunarman

Are you suggesting that we should overtake on the inside or outside lanes as we wish? or do you agree that we should follow some sort of rules of the road? or are you implying the fastest cars on the road take whatever overtaking manouver they see fit to get them to their destination as fast as they can without having to comply with traffic congestion along with the majority of safe drivers?
Wouldn't that leave road users driving at a lesser speed haveing to speculate which lane a faster on-coming vehicle would be overtaking them? and what if an accident occurs? who would be at fault?

Haveing to overtake in the righthand lane, at least everyone should know what the rules of the road are.. and if that lane is congested.. tough titties, you should wait like everyone else for the road ahead to clear. or pull into the right hand lane for a safer journey. ;)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Are you suggesting that we should overtake on the inside or outside lanes as we wish? or do you agree that we should follow some sort of rules of the road? or are you implying the fastest cars on the road take whatever overtaking manouver they see fit to get them to their destination as fast as they can without having to comply with traffic congestion along with the majority of safe drivers?
Wouldn't that leave road users driving at a lesser speed haveing to speculate which lane a faster on-coming vehicle would be overtaking them? and what if an accident occurs? who would be at fault?

Haveing to overtake in the righthand lane, at least everyone should know what the rules of the road are.. and if that lane is congested.. tough titties, you should wait like everyone else for the road ahead to clear. or pull into the right hand lane for a safer journey. ;)

Overtaking on either side seems to work ok in the US of A.
They have some spectacular accidents ::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The lady is not part of this debate her position is fixed, Chris on the other hand was reporting on his own experience. Should he have overtaken another car on the motorway at above 70 mph whatever lane it was driving in.:thumb:

how come you can fix a point in a debate ( her position is fixed ) when it suits :Sad: but also you can introduce a purely theoretical point :RollEyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
WHATS THE HURRY/ You just get to the traffic jam quicker. Many years ago i drove a truck with a max speed (in gear) of 47 mph. It still takes me the same time now days in a more modern faster vehicle to drive to the same destinations. BUSBY::bigsmile:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Overtaking on either side seems to work ok in the US of A.
They have some spectacular accidents ::bigsmile:

They sure do!
They also overtake on either side of the road in Egypt, India, Pakistan, and many other countries . I was talking in particular to driving in the UK.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I think the point being made is that 3/4 of the cars hogging the middle lane should be in the left hand lane.

That leaves 2 lanes for genuine overtaking, as opposed to lane hogging, dawdling, farting about, day dreaming, lipstick applying, ball scratching incompetence.

It also leaves lanes open for you in your Merc to get somewhere:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
when im sat in the middle lane with cruise on doing 80,eating my sandwiches,rolling a fag,or checking my emails or paperwork there's nothing more annoying than some blond bimbo sat in the same lane doing 60 mph,i have to put down what im doing and indicate and pull out in front of some burk in a merc doing 90 then put up with the flack from him/her,all because a blond bimbo cant drive proper:Smile:
What car is it that Chris drives:Blush:

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
As per usual a thread gets taken over:Doh: the what's and wherefore about driving in the middle lane was done to death a couple of months ago when the law was introduced, (along with the law against tailgating Chris), however my question was does anyone know of any successful prosecutions proceeded by the police, I guess the answer is no, therefore as I suspected another toothless law:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back