Jan 11, 2012
Wilmslow, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hoping for one soon!
Exp
Young folk

Were 35 and 33 ::bigsmile:

Although technically not yet motorhome owners we hope to be soon......

Problem us young folk have is they are so darn expensive!

We do a lot of walking and mountain biking and a motorhome is perfect for us, it's just that when you take into account depreciation, tax, servicing etc.... It would actually be cheaper to stay in a hotel!!

Still, if you did that it wouldn't be on the beach in Scotland with not another soul in sight :winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My wife and I were both 33 when we had our first Richard Holdsworth elevating roof Bedford CF camper. Our two boys were 7 yrs and 5 yrs and they loved it.

Then we flew away on Hotel holidays and the boys missed the adventure of the camper so we bought an Autohomes Talbot Merlin. Slept 6, again they loved it, plus we did air shows and week ends.

Spend it, you can't take it with you......Griff

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Middle aged and younger Mmm
What is middle aged?
I'm 54 now and hope I get a good 25 yrs unless the diesel runs out (Argentina FO! its ours we won!)
[HI]I love meeting new people who dont drag the annoying bored kids along with frisbies and footballs[/HI] :thumb:

We resemble that remark............!!

But the kids are never dragged, are far from bored, they love the motorhome, and we do not find them annoying, nor has anyone who has met them....

Callum, Diane and.....

Andrew 3 and Billy 8.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My first time on a campsite was in 1967 ...... I've camped in frame tents, dome tents, trailer tents, bivvies, a VW Camper, a caravan and now a motorhome. I've stayed in hotels in France, Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Greece, Malta, oh - England & Wales! - Goa, Kerala, the Maldives, the Caribbean, Australia, USA.

I can say for an absolute fact that I have met far far far more bored and dragged along (dare I say, dragged up?) kids in hotels than I ever have on campsites !

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
We have have a motorhome on and off for over 20 years since we were in our twenties. I think the biggest reason why it tends to be a pursuit followed by generally retired people is time. When you are working nine days a week to keep your head above benefit income level you don't have a lot of time to use such a valuable asset.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We resemble that remark............!!

But the kids are never dragged, are far from bored, they love the motorhome, and we do not find them annoying, nor has anyone who has met them....

Callum, Diane and.....

Andrew 3 and Billy 8.......

Good call :Sad:
I seem to have inferred all kids are bored and annoying :Doh:
Of course there are some very good ones :thumb:

keith_c

Free Member
Jan 31, 2012
Amersham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We are both 43 and a big part of the original reason for getting the motorhome was to drag the kids around the country and see it (when I was younger every holiday was to Norfolk and every holiday my wife had was to Cornwall) - we're seeing a lot of it for the first time too.

The kids don't get bored and come because they want to - occasionally, if a trip clashes with something on at home, we'll leave one of them with their Grandparents or their Uncle but they get plenty of say in where we go and consequently are keen to come.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Had the motorhome for 4 years now and now 44 even though i dont look it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So im still working hard ok working and another 10 years will do me fine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Gerry I think you made a typo its the one to the right of 4 that you meant to press :roflmto:

Well we are a young 43 both born a month apart. We have 15 and 13 yr olds, we have been motorhoming 7 years and 4 years of tugging before that.

Motorhoming has given us a diversity in life that we would never of experienced sat at home on the couch.
We have met some great friends and some "orrible" ones too :roflmto:. We have had laugh upon laugh upon laugh.

Our kids have ventured to France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland,Luxembourg to name a few.

We have skied the last 7 years out the van saving a fortune, we have been to some of the best surf beaches in Europe in the summers.

We are now packed and ready to drive off to the Alps for some more skiing adventure, only this time we are one of 10 motorhomes. All of the occupants are aged between 35 and 65 and all out for fun.

Its not trendy amongst my work colleagues, but they just don't get it....:winky:

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
Just bought my 1st camper,still in my 40s.
I'm single and have a young son who stays with me on weekends,so hoping to take him on some short trips around the UK and maybe longer trips abroad.
Bought the camper mostly for touring and have the bike on the back.
Only work 130 days a year, i have a 2 week on 4 week off schedule in the oil industry.:thumb:
I'll be back home on tuesday for 4 weeks to continue working on the camper to get it ready for spring.:Smile:

keith_c

Free Member
Jan 31, 2012
Amersham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have skied the last 7 years out the van saving a fortune, we have been to some of the best surf beaches in Europe in the summers.

We are now packed and ready to drive off to the Alps for some more skiing adventure, only this time we are one of 10 motorhomes. All of the occupants are aged between 35 and 65 and all out for fun.

Skiing.....we can't wait to go again - we're "priced out" of skiing a few years ago, it just got too expensive for what you got - and I can see that the motorhome should make it lots cheaper. Hoping to go next year but turned out it wasn't feasible for this year.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think one of the main factor's in motorhomes been seen for the old age travelers is that a lot of younger people with children tend to go for Caravan's and cars.

We started off with a tent when I was 18 had our first caravan when I was 25 and our first Motorhome when I was 37, then wondered off it for a few years doing the hotel route the girls were not that keen when they got to their middle teens, but came back to a Motorhome 10 years ago, once it gets in your blood your hooked.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Well were getting older:cry: and unloaded :Doh:( having just parted with the hard earned readies for the new van ) and retired early ( 61 yrs young ) and intend to get the most out of our home on wheels:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As I have had a "motorhome/camper van" since I was 25 I claim the right to dawdle along in one now in the middle of the road holding up loads of yoof in their go faster hatchbacks...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Were 35 and 33

Although technically not yet motorhome owners we hope to be soon......

Problem us young folk have is they are so darn expensive!:Smile:

We do a lot of walking and mountain biking and a motorhome is perfect for us, it's just that when you take into account depreciation, tax, servicing etc.... It would actually be cheaper to stay in a hotel!!

Still, if you did that it wouldn't be on the beach in Scotland with not another soul in sight :winky:[/QUOTE]

Exactly, home is where you park it:Smile:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Had my first motorhome when i was 41 (2001)...
Retired in 2006 aged 46 and now spending even more time away in the van....
It aint everyone's cup of tea to be retired but after years of graft and being tied down to work commitments it great to just take off.. :thumb:
I can now do things with my grandchildren that I never could with my own kids as back then we didnt have the cash or time to do it...

Wow Tonka that is impressive, right let's have a guess, you've been in the forces or you are last weeks lottery winners:ROFLMAO:
Mike:Smile:

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First motorhome at 44 so I guess we both qualify. Kids are in their twenties, money is not as tight as it once was and we had always talked about buying one. One day, if you talk about something for long enough, you know it is going to happen! We are absolutely hooked and glad that we took the plunge now.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Got my first one at 33, Brand new Hymer 644. Wish I could afford to blow that much on a motorhome now :cry:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Very good Mike. Surveying a new fit on a Burstner this Sunday, probably same panels as yours £39 cheaper each now :Eeek:
Doing shopfitting full time now self employed mainly WHSmiths stores so struggling for time for anyone else.
Fitting Dunlop airsuspension to mine tomorrow in the freezing cold, I'll be doing a blog with photos for general circulation.
Many thanks for the feedback :thumb: not long now before they really come into their own and hook up free living.

First part as a taster

For this job you will need some additional ground clearance (Milenco Quattros ideal)
A long handled torque wrench
Hammerite Waxoyl to coat all metal parts during assembly
A tape measure for LSV load sensing valve
1/2" drive sockets 13,17,22mm
Hammer chisel sidecutters stanley knife

Begin with the rod measurement at the LSV as this may alter with the suspension upgrade and need to be adjusted later BEFORE driving
Measure-here-on-load-sensing-M.jpg

Next having created more room for your comfort underneath the van if your bump stops are sat on the leaf springs? use your scissor jack to create a small amount of lift (about 25mm 1") make sure the head of the scissor is on a reinforced section of chassis
scissor-jack-placed-between-M.jpg

The bump stop will need a slight persuasion with a hammer and drift or cold chisel on the castellations to just start it off anticlockwise
Bump-stop-just-a-light-tap-M.jpg

BS removed
BS-removed-M.jpg

The basic components are superb quality and very robust
basic-parts-M.jpg

Upper bracket fitted and secured with bolt 17mm head
Upper-bracket-fitted-M.jpg

Next comes the removal of the leaf spring U bolts and bump stop bottom plate, 22mm socket and long handled wrench with some brute force to get these babies off :shock:
The bump stop plate is NOT replaced but saved for if you remove your kit to transfer to another vehicle.
Now attach a bellow unit to a bottom bracket loosely with the 13mm headed bolts and attach the appropriate air line (left or right) Marcle recommend red for left blue for right.
Compress the bellows until all the air is expelled and bend over the other end of the airline to prevent it re inflating, secure with tape or a small cable tie.

TO BE CONTINUED

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We're 43 and 49 and have been fulltiming for nearly three years, we love it! As well as taking to the way of life, we also really enjoy the diversity of the people you meet along the way in the UK and Europe.

Got the bug from mum and dad who have been caravanning and motorhoming for as long as I can remember. :Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We are 74 and 64-used to tour France by car using b/b,gites and hotels-always constricted to 2 or 3 weeks cos of work.
Bought M/H 3yrs ago-now we can go where we like,when we like-and its cheaper than running our house ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back