Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi, we are thinking of getting a microwave for in the mh, we’d prefer one which is a microwave/oven/grill, I just wandered if anyone could recommend one, not sure on what wattage to get?

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi, we are thinking of getting a microwave for in the mh, we’d prefer one which is a microwave/oven/grill, I just wandered if anyone could recommend one, not sure on what wattage to get?

You need to keep the wattage of a microwave to a minimum as it puts such a big load on your inverter and leisure batteries - if you do get one go for a max of 600 watt and if size is also an issue then the Daewoo Qt1, 2or 3 is about the smallest available :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Had a Panasonic. Don't remember the model n umber, they change them so regularly anyway. Used microwave off the inverter but oven/grill from EHU or genny. Don't bother now, due to weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unlikely to get one with a grill & oven that will be suitable in a Motorhome. Bear in mind 16 amp outlets may be the norm in the UK but other countries 5-6 amps are more common. If you want to run off batteries using an inverter bear in mind start up power is often twice the rated power.

Personally I think they are a waste of time in a Motorhome, as far as possible we try to avoid mains power equipment in the van.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As above you need to keep the wattage down

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/low-wattage-microwave.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/low-wattage-microwave.html

A 700w microwave, great for usage in a caravan or motorhome at the campsite.

The low wattage means you won't have to worry about overloading the power hook-up unit on the site!

Features:

• Simple dial operation with 5 power levels
  • 35 minute maximum timer with thaw function
  • 24.5cm turntable
  • 20 litre capacity
The microwave runs on pure sine waves.

The microwave dimensions are -

17 and a quarter inches wide.

13 inches deep.

9 and a half inches high.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
We did think that a combination one would need too much power, I guess we’ll just go for the microwave. Basically we have a small halogen oven and wanted something in addition as we don’t have a proper oven, we just wanted something extra for the winter/autumn when the weather is rubbish and we can’t use the cadac outside.

We go all over Europe so we know that there can be lower amps. Btw we would be using it on EHU.

Thanks for the link on the microwave, will consider it

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As light as possible, and as cheap as possible. Many old German motorhomes were never fitted with an oven, or a grill for that matter, so unless you wish to eat 'a la wok', then a microwave is really essential.
We keep ours in an upper locker in the galley, secured on a slide out that fetches the whole thing into the corridor whilst using, (to allow air circulation and venting), then tucks away afterwards. Only ever use it with EHU. If you cant find a chippy whilst traveling, you need a new nose!! :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours is a small one from Tesco. Only used occassionly on ehu or inverter. Usually used for fish as only I eat it. Swmbo is allergic so keep it separate

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Others have touched on the power side of things. One thing which has not been mentioned is turntable. When we changed van we had to find a microwave due to previous van having a built in one and new one not having one, we gave away the model we had in the van before the van with built in microwave ( you still with me?)

One of my friends showed me the new one they had purchased, as she remembered me complaining about the turntable rattling around and having to line it up again when we wanted to use it, which never seemed easy for some reason.
We bought a turntable free one and its great. Lots of models with differing power settings available, but the fact it has no turntable makes it absolutely perfect. They are more expensive as they uses some new technology to replace the need to rotate the food.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good point about getting one without a turn-table. Besides less rattle, it will save a bit more weight and allow you to put larger items in because they don't need to rotate within the width.
Our first microwave had no turntable (1980). It used a metal 'fan' to scatter the waves instead.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Wouldn't be without microwave in MH. I always take turntable out to travel, no rattle. I also have a very silly sized gas oven in our van which is useless, so now awaiting delivery of a Remoska which everyone recommends as a great addition, time will tell on that! But do go for a microwave.:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We used to have half a tonne of spare payload but now we have none.
We used to be "home from home", just about able to replicate everything on the move.
But, having downsized, we now realise how unnecessary many of the "home comforts" were.
It can be quite satisfying, managing on less.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks for your help everyone, we are now looking at a couple of the suggestions.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A 750w micro wave will probably have a real electrical loading of over 1000w. See the plate on the back.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
When using microwave I always turn off any other electric appliances such as kettle, etc just to be safe. Always had microwave in caravan before having motorhome and I have been known to blow a fuse, hence make sure nothing else is on for the short time the microwave is on.my microwave is 750.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Don't forget the initial 'surge' to get the microwave going can be significantly more than the 'running' wattage/ampage.....do consider whether you really need a MW....the combi ones are usually much higher wattage/ampage.

woodentops

Free Member
Sep 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Russell Hobbs RHM206
We have a Russell Hobbs RHM2063-AH dealer fitted microwave. We would not recommend it, it switches off after 3mins although cooking time is supposed to be 95mins! The user guide quotes : used freestanding only and must not be built-in or used in a cabinet"! In our opinion this is a safety issue!

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Bought our van secondhand it came with a basic microwave fitted in in place of the oven grill its rated at 500 watts and runs easily off the pure sine wave invertor no grill or oven though but find it ideal for quickly heating up food .the invertors rated at 1600 watts and runs off 2 x 110 leisure batteries with a short cable run to the invertor.

Deleted User
We had a Samsung 800 watt microwave put in (wanted a combo originally but concerned about the heat of an element). Ours has a turntable but we remove the glass plate when traveling. Only use on hook-up, never had a problem. Use it most of the time to re-heat food that we have pre-prepared and frozen

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
holy-thread-ressurrection.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun