Microwave

Discussion in 'Cooking in your Motorhome' started by Shell181, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Shell181

Shell181 Funster

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, we are thinking of getting a microwave for in the mh, we’d prefer one which is a microwave/oven/grill, I just wandered if anyone could recommend one, not sure on what wattage to get?

2. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,007
    You need to keep the wattage of a microwave to a minimum as it puts such a big load on your inverter and leisure batteries - if you do get one go for a max of 600 watt and if size is also an issue then the Daewoo Qt1, 2or 3 is about the smallest available :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +2,299
    Had a Panasonic. Don't remember the model n umber, they change them so regularly anyway. Used microwave off the inverter but oven/grill from EHU or genny. Don't bother now, due to weight.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +20,626
    Unlikely to get one with a grill & oven that will be suitable in a Motorhome. Bear in mind 16 amp outlets may be the norm in the UK but other countries 5-6 amps are more common. If you want to run off batteries using an inverter bear in mind start up power is often twice the rated power.

Personally I think they are a waste of time in a Motorhome, as far as possible we try to avoid mains power equipment in the van.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ratings:
    +6,551
    As above you need to keep the wattage down

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/low-wattage-microwave.html

[​IMG]
    A 700w microwave, great for usage in a caravan or motorhome at the campsite.

The low wattage means you won't have to worry about overloading the power hook-up unit on the site!

Features:

• Simple dial operation with 5 power levels
    • 35 minute maximum timer with thaw function
    • 24.5cm turntable
    • 20 litre capacity
    The microwave runs on pure sine waves.

The microwave dimensions are -

17 and a quarter inches wide.

13 inches deep.

9 and a half inches high.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Shell181

Shell181 Funster

Ratings:
    +15
    We did think that a combination one would need too much power, I guess we’ll just go for the microwave. Basically we have a small halogen oven and wanted something in addition as we don’t have a proper oven, we just wanted something extra for the winter/autumn when the weather is rubbish and we can’t use the cadac outside.

We go all over Europe so we know that there can be lower amps. Btw we would be using it on EHU.

Thanks for the link on the microwave, will consider it

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster Deceased RIP

Ratings:
    +48,869
    As light as possible, and as cheap as possible. Many old German motorhomes were never fitted with an oven, or a grill for that matter, so unless you wish to eat 'a la wok', then a microwave is really essential.
    We keep ours in an upper locker in the galley, secured on a slide out that fetches the whole thing into the corridor whilst using, (to allow air circulation and venting), then tucks away afterwards. Only ever use it with EHU. If you cant find a chippy whilst traveling, you need a new nose!! :)

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +5,599
    Ours is a small one from Tesco. Only used occassionly on ehu or inverter. Usually used for fish as only I eat it. Swmbo is allergic so keep it separate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Others have touched on the power side of things. One thing which has not been mentioned is turntable. When we changed van we had to find a microwave due to previous van having a built in one and new one not having one, we gave away the model we had in the van before the van with built in microwave ( you still with me?)

One of my friends showed me the new one they had purchased, as she remembered me complaining about the turntable rattling around and having to line it up again when we wanted to use it, which never seemed easy for some reason.
    We bought a turntable free one and its great. Lots of models with differing power settings available, but the fact it has no turntable makes it absolutely perfect. They are more expensive as they uses some new technology to replace the need to rotate the food.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,829
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +2,299
    Good point about getting one without a turn-table. Besides less rattle, it will save a bit more weight and allow you to put larger items in because they don't need to rotate within the width.
    Our first microwave had no turntable (1980). It used a metal 'fan' to scatter the waves instead.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Pekepal

Pekepal Funster

Ratings:
    +97
    Wouldn't be without microwave in MH. I always take turntable out to travel, no rattle. I also have a very silly sized gas oven in our van which is useless, so now awaiting delivery of a Remoska which everyone recommends as a great addition, time will tell on that! But do go for a microwave.:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +2,299
    We used to have half a tonne of spare payload but now we have none.
    We used to be "home from home", just about able to replicate everything on the move.
    But, having downsized, we now realise how unnecessary many of the "home comforts" were.
    It can be quite satisfying, managing on less.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Shell181

Shell181 Funster

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your help everyone, we are now looking at a couple of the suggestions.

15. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,609
    A 750w micro wave will probably have a real electrical loading of over 1000w. See the plate on the back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Pekepal

Pekepal Funster

Ratings:
    +97
    When using microwave I always turn off any other electric appliances such as kettle, etc just to be safe. Always had microwave in caravan before having motorhome and I have been known to blow a fuse, hence make sure nothing else is on for the short time the microwave is on.my microwave is 750.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +20,626
    Same here, Philips by any chance?

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Pia

Pia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,270
    Don't forget the initial 'surge' to get the microwave going can be significantly more than the 'running' wattage/ampage.....do consider whether you really need a MW....the combi ones are usually much higher wattage/ampage.

• Like it Like it x 1