microwave drama (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:whatthe: Had a real fright last night, the microwave went up in smoke. As it was fitted above the cooker it was difficult to get it out and switch it off. Not a good start to the holiday but thanks to hubby 's quick thinking we got it out and avoided a disaster. The van filled with smoke so quickly it could have been so much worse. Will definitely not be replacing the microwave. It was in a stupid place anyway and I've put the space it was in to much better and safer use. Hubby didn't realise the gravity of the situation at first as he is used to smoke alarms going off when I cook, it usually means his dinner is ready!

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Wow! Have to say we find the microwave very handy been using them for about 20 ears in one van or another never experienced this. You may never again. But if you are happy to do without more money saved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Had the electric motor on our home freezer catch fire once during the night.

When the smoke alarm actuated I thought it was the clock so hit the alarm on that, then picked up the 'phone to answer it before I realised what the noise really was.

In my defence I was sound asleep when the alarm went off but it does show the importance of such protection, both in the M/H and at home.

Incidentally, the dog slept through it all, only opening one eye as we dragged the freezer away from the wall.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The "like" is because you had a smoke alarm and have lived to tell the tale.

:whatthe: Had a real fright last night, the microwave went up in smoke.

Glad you are okay.

Do you have ventilation behind the microwave and was overheating the cause or was their a fault wit the actual microwave? Worried about ours now.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wow, we'd never get ours out in a hurry, it's fitted in a cabinet above the drinks cabinet, all screwed in, you have me worrried now.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thank heavens you're safe and the smoke alarm did its job.

If it's any use to Funster's reading this, my microwave is factory-fitted and bolted into a cabinet BUT, there's an isolation switch fitted in the adjacent cabinet. Not a bad idea to make yourself au fait with some of these isolators and have an emergency procedure plan.

Remember; If you don't disaster plan, you plan a disaster!

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
The "like" is because you had a smoke alarm and have lived to tell the tale.

Glad you are okay.

Do you have ventilation behind the microwave and was overheating the cause or was their a fault wit the actual microwave? Worried about ours now.
Don't know it happened. Could have been either, it came with the van and we assumed it was fitted correctly. Very rarely used it as it was above cooker and I had to stand on stool to reach it, which was a bit dodgy. Now realise how dodgy whole thing was as it was plugged in behind and we could only unplug once it was out. So wingman is absolutely right about isolater switches and disaster planning. Would never have another one fitted in but would have one I could take out and use, much the same as my trusty halogen oven and double skillet.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
All vans have a master switch someplace it might be as well to identify it.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I guess the 'master' switch would be ok, but assuming nighttime, you'd be knocking out everything and would then be in smoke in the complete dark!

I was really thinking of the isolators. In my van, I have factory-fitted standard domestic type switch isolators - one for the microwave and one for the piezo- electrics to the oven, plus a few others. Don't have a posh MH either.

Taking one of Spritely Islanders points, the siting of microwaves in some vans are nothing short of dangerous! I'm not an H&S freak, but taking piping hot food out of the microwave from high up could cause scalds and burns! As women do a lot of the cooking (no sexist point intended) and as ladies are generally short in stature, this amplifies the possibility of injury. Having to get a stool to reach microwaves is appalling.

Some MH manufacturers just plonk them somewhere as a selling point with no thought as to the dangers.

The siting of these became a source of amusement between Mrs W and I when we were looking for a new van. We would emerge after the tour saying, "Nice, but it's got one of those dangerous microwaves!"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back