Microsoft urges computer users to install security tool (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No Karl, not Lego add-ons but safeguards designed in from the start ::bigsmile:

I don't understand what you are saying here?

ASLR is a software solution to prevent easy stack/heap exploitation.

DEP is a hardware solution.

Are you saying the IBM guys in the 70 implemented ASLR? If so why did they do this when you were writing perfect code that couldn't possibly corrupt the stack/heap? Why build something that isn't needed?

DEP, I can understand as they had virtualised the OS in the early 70's. However calling DEP on X86 a lego add on is a misunderstanding of what it is I think..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't understand what you are saying here?

ASLR is a software solution to prevent easy stack/heap exploitation.

DEP is a hardware solution.

Are you saying the IBM guys in the 70 implemented ASLR? If so why did they do this when you were writing perfect code that couldn't possibly corrupt the stack/heap? Why build something that isn't needed?

DEP, I can understand as they had virtualised the OS in the early 70's. However calling DEP on X86 a lego add on is a misunderstanding of what it is I think..

All these techniques do is prevent use of certain areas of memory and that certainly was needed in the 1970s, to prevent application software from corrupting the OS if nothing else. Also to prevent programs running in different partitions from corrupting each other. All built into the OS. Terminology may be different but that's basically all.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
All these techniques do is prevent use of certain areas of memory and that certainly was needed in the 1970s, to prevent application software from corrupting the OS if nothing else. Also to prevent programs running in different partitions from corrupting each other. All built into the OS. Terminology may be different but that's basically all.

Nope, ASLR is something completely different.

Whilst I can see a use for DEP back in the 70's if software was so well written why include ASLR? Or wasn't software that well written after all?

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Correct security patch can be downloaded using Windows Update

Microsoft decided to quickly create and release an update to fix this issue in IE9.

The security patch can be downloaded using Windows Update as of earlier this evening.

Installing this patch should fix the issue

Regards
Paul and Ineke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back