Microsoft Update aaarrggghh! (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Help please. Last night I did an update on my laptop, it took ages to download about 2 hours, which I thought was odd. Anyway this morning I have turned my laptop on and usually the account I use does not require a password I get straight into the account. But it is asking for one and as I have never used one I cant get in. When I ask it to reset password a window pops up 'This feature requires removable media, such as a USB flash drive. Please connect a USB flash drive, and then try again.' So I do this and get the 'Welcome to the Password Reset Wizard' I then click next and next and another window pops up File not Found - 'This disc is not a password reset disc.'
I have 2 accounts on this laptop and have managed to get into the second account but there is nothing in there as I have never used it. I have tried to do a system restore through this account but again because it is not the admin account it keeps asking me for a password. And I didn't know if this would work any way. I have spoken to a Microsoft advisor on a chat line but he was as much use as a chocolate fireguard to be honest. He said my only option would be to do a computer reset and then I would lose all my data. He also offered to get into my laptop remotely but I was not sure about this so I declined his offer.

I have done a Google search but as usual you get bombarded with so much info, which to be frank, is above me. I think one of the links said this latest update had caused problems with passwords but that seemed to be saying when you used a password, which I haven't.

Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone help please?

OP
OP
Blossom
Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried this but it asks for the Admin password which I haven’t got. I have had a bit of luck as I went into the C drive from the second account and have found some files and am just putting them onto my external hard drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blossom
Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Just hit enter you may find its asking for a password but if you did not set-up one it might just be blank.
Thanks, yes I tried that ☹️ Didn't work.

However, I left it for a couple of hours and then went back to it. Turned it on again and a message came up saying 'We are updating your Pc' and after a few minutes it opened up as usual before the previous update. I can only think that Microsoft realised the update was causing problems and did an add on to correct them. I am so glad I did not do the reset as I was told to do by the Microsoft Adviser. I would have lost everything. Even more than that I dont understand why he didnt know about another update to correct the problem.

I have learnt two valuable lessons today, firstly back up everything you do and secondly don't do updates straight away, give it a few days for them to sort out all the glitches.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back