Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
And this is my plane I have owned and flown for the last 2 years! Also been flying paragliders for 20years.....love having my feet off the ground.:D
IMG_6716.JPG

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
And this is my aircraft I own and have been flying for the last 2 years a sub 450kg motorglider and I have also been flying Para
IMG_6713.JPG
gliders for the last 20 years in the UK and the Himalayas! The motorhome is a perfect travel accompaniment:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I know exactly what you mean. I fear if I stay stood on the ground too long my feet will begin to grow roots and I'll never be able to leave terra firma again. Once you fly ... you never look at the skies again in the same way

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As a (non-powered) paraglider pilot, I believe that I am a true flyer, the nearest thing to free flying you can get. Amongst other amazing flights, I have been fortunate enough to have shared a thermal with a peregrine falcon

All other forms of flying is just 'girly flying' :)

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Yes I agree, paragliding is the purest form:) Have been fortunate to paraglide all over the UK and the Himalayas, Mexico, Brazil and even Guatemala> Best this year was motorhome trip to West Coast of Ireland (On a Uilleann Piping course)! and flew over Croagh Patrick on a perfect summers day overflying the pilgrims!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And this is my aircraft I own and have been flying for the last 2 years a sub 450kg motorglider and I have also been flying ParaView attachment 267630 gliders for the last 20 years in the UK and the Himalayas! The motorhome is a perfect travel accompaniment:D2
Is that a chevron or something similar I think I remember articles about them. I fly a rotax falke at the glding club where I used to fly gliders this one https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-HBOS

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@jetlag03 went up once in a similar craft , in exchange took the owner up in my Brantly
g wasp.jpg

which I operated after moving over from a Socata MS.894E Minerva 220GT gwcei.jpg
in my book anything that gets you off the ground ticks the box (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sometimes described as a motorcycle in the sky..

Those were my thoughts once. I had a PPL and a motorcycle and thought weight shift microlight, where folk are known to land by a filling station and fill up ( round Britain Microlight ) could be good fun.

I arrived at the field on my bike, so well dressed, took off, with instructor, and then "You have control". Like hell I did. Everything was upside down back to front. At one stage he put it into an "unusual attitude" and said "sort that out", I could not, all my instincts made it even more unusual.

Later I did solo OK in a French Rotax powered three axis microlight, that was fine but zero performance.

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes a Chevvron...G MZMK the last one out the factory:) A baby version of your Falke it looks like!
I just rent it from the club too expensive to buy one with the rotax they fetch good money but flies a lot better than the old limbach one the club had before known as the "bag of S*** " the first field landing practice turned into a real one!!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I got my cross country rating in that plane.

Who was the wonderful old instructor that took me ?? He had a Europa.
I,m sure he's well known in the club but I am very much a part time member tend to go on weekdays when theres no-one else there and go from check ride to check ride. Had a nice fly recently to Old Warden to the shuttleworth collection free landings good coffee and cake!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I,m sure he's well known in the club

So was I, driving from Macclesfield to fly was too expensive in the long run, I had 2 great years there then returned to Camphill.

I suspect the guy I'm talking about is flying much higher now, he was getting on a bit. There was another lovely instructor there, I was in his team when on duty, he was 83, still swimming regularly and still flying his own glider.

HusBos was a great place for longevity as opposed to Camphill which had 7 deaths in a short period of time and nearly could not get insurance.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
My 'best' flights some years ago were :-

A night take-off, by catapult, and night landing from HMS Ark Royal located in the Indian Ocean.

A F15 simlulator 'flight' whilst visiting the Pentagon watching them playing 'War Games'. It was only a shortish flight due to the fact I had immediately gone into 'reheat'.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So was I, driving from Macclesfield to fly was too expensive in the long run, I had 2 great years there then returned to Camphill.

I suspect the guy I'm talking about is flying much higher now, he was getting on a bit. There was another lovely instructor there, I was in his team when on duty, he was 83, still swimming regularly and still flying his own glider.

HusBos was a great place for longevity as opposed to Camphill which had 7 deaths in a short period of time and nearly could not get insurance.
It might have been Ron Davidson if so last I heard he was a bit frail but still around. I,ve been a member for 30 years with a short break when the kids were young.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Lovely pictures and stories chaps,helping me take my mind off some bereavement probs at present.:(
Just wondered if you have heard of an old mate of mine Steve Brewer?, he used to paraglide down in Sussex, and French alps, he was in at the start many years ago, and ended up an instructor.
He was a strong advocate of wearing a safety chute,(they were not compulsory then) as he had a very bad near miss incident in the french alps, when his wing started to twist and the ropes tangled together collapsing the wing when he flew past a peak, and was hit by a very strong side wind.
His wing had collapsed, try as he might he could not pull the ropes apart, he had a very long uncontrolled decent, chucked out his safety chute in time, but landed up a pine tree with his chute tangled through it. Very lucky escape:eek:
He then went on a mission before facebook days trying to advise every one in the sport of the "need" to wear a safety chute, as they were not compulsory then.
I hope they are nowadays?, just makes sense doesn't it?
Great days, great memories.
Les

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It might have been Ron Davidson if so last I heard he was a bit frail but still around. I,ve been a member for 30 years with a short break when the kids were young.

That sounds right. A really great bloke, he knew how to get the message across and great to fly with. You can't say that about some instructors.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
21AD901D-2B7C-461B-8E87-9A31BE8DB235.jpeg
this is my Baby, seven years to build her and been flying 10 years now,
Have taken here twice over Mont Blanc at 18000 ft and flown across the North cape Norway at Midnight in bright sun :D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As an ex-commercial pilot but also sometime glider pilot, my comments are

That I would never go airborne with a wing that could collapse.

I would prefer to get airborne in an aircraft that I knew had no engine(Glider) than one with one engine(which could fail), but preferably with two, except a Twin Comanche, the performance of which was that it had a single-engined aircraft performance with two chances of an engine failure! Not a problem if the runway was long enough to hold it on the ground to get V2 plus 10 knots.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back