Free Member
Apr 21, 2009
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
May 2009
We are totally new to all of this, never having used a caravan either. we have just purchased an 18 month old Burnster Aviano i725 and I'm sure we'll be asking lots of what seem like stupid questions within the next few weeks. But our first question is regarding microwaves. We plan to use sites, especially for the first year, in case we need to shout for HELP, so is it feasible to use a standard micro wave out of one of the large stores, or do we need to by a special type just for motor homes and caravans?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
It doesn't have to be a "special" type as such, just be carefull of it's power rating and bear in mind what type of sites you're going to use.
If you intend to spend most of the time on larger sites which in a great deal of cases provide a 16 amp hook up, you'll get away with a 1000 watt unit.

If you intend to spend most of your time on Cls/Cs's/Farm sites, these are usually only 10 amp supply and you'd be better off with a 750 or 850 watt model.

Remember, the START UP consumption is quite a bit higher than the actual rating for the first few milli seconds and it is this which usually throws the trips.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I agree with Zaskar :thumb: but make sure you fasten it down securely, the last thing you want in a accident is a MW in the back of your head.:Eeek::thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: WAVEBOX IS £125
A normal cheapo mw is £25 and cooks faster :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Liznmick

We have been useing a cheap microwave 750 watt now for at least 2 years with no problems.:thumb:

I agree with Terry just make sure it is fixed down securely, you don't want it in the neck.:Eeek:

Dave

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there

I agree with previous posters that you can get away with a cheap and cheerful one as long as it is not too powerful. We have been using our 700W one for the last four years and haven't tripped any supplies (YET:thumb:).

Regarding stowage for transport, up until recently I had it installed in one of the overhead cupboards - took the door off and wired it through the backs of the cupboards so it didn't look unsightly (I was quite proud of myself::bigsmile:). Now she-who-must-be-obeyed has decided that it is too high for her (she's only short) and she preferred it in it's original position, taking up what little work surface we had in the area between the sink and the hob:Doh:. It sits on an anti-slip mat in the corner and it has never moved an inch while travelling. How did we manage before anti-slip mats?

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi philw111

Just a little worried by the thought of your microwave not being properly secured.
The forces involved in the sudden decelaration that may happen in an accident could result in your oven free flying at maybe 40 or 50 mph in your direction and the consequences being hit by 10 kgs or more of hard pointy metal travelling at these speeds would be catastrophic. Sorry to be a Jonah but my concern is genuine.

Johno

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi philw111

Just a little worried by the thought of your microwave not being properly secured.
The forces involved in the sudden decelaration that may happen in an accident could result in your oven free flying at maybe 40 or 50 mph in your direction and the consequences being hit by 10 kgs or more of hard pointy metal travelling at these speeds would be catastrophic. Sorry to be a Jonah but my concern is genuine.

Johno

Thanks for your concern but it sits in a corner and can only feasibly move towards the back of the motorhome (I have yet to accelerate fast enough to move it) or toward the sink. The only type of accident that I could foresee moving it at all is if we toppled over to the driver's side and even then there would be no-one in it's path (I think I would have other things on my mind in this situation anyway:Sad:).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ours travells on the front dinette seat behind the drivers side bulkhead.
fixed to the seat base with a grippy buckle type nylon strap.

when in use it lives on the dinette table but then, as heathens, we only eat off our knees infront of the TV.:RollEyes:
dinette table is just another work surface to us.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: I suspose that's better than our table John it's buried under a pile of crap in the garage SOMEWHERE:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:but we still carry the leg in the van :ROFLMAO:
terry

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi there

I agree with previous posters that you can get away with a cheap and cheerful one as long as it is not too powerful. We have been using our 700W one for the last four years and haven't tripped any supplies (YET:thumb:).

Regarding stowage for transport, up until recently I had it installed in one of the overhead cupboards - took the door off and wired it through the backs of the cupboards so it didn't look unsightly (I was quite proud of myself::bigsmile:). Now she-who-must-be-obeyed has decided that it is too high for her (she's only short) and she preferred it in it's original position, taking up what little work surface we had in the area between the sink and the hob:Doh:. It sits on an anti-slip mat in the corner and it has never moved an inch while travelling. How did we manage before anti-slip mats?

I'd put it back in the cupboard and buy the wife a little folding step for her Bithday!
Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
L

LiznMick

Free Member
Apr 21, 2009
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
May 2009
Many Thanks to all of your comments, I think we'll fit in with you crowd, you all seem as mad as us:ROFLMAO: we'll be off to asda to buy a cheap micro wave:thumb:

Hope to get out next weekend, so we'll be asking many more questions after our first outing:Doh:

Mick

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
I'm with PappaJohn
I got a cheap n cheerful 700w job from Tesco. It sits on the rear facing seat of the dining area with a modified nylon rachet type strap (£1 from a pound shop or £2 from C&CC site at Scarborough) strap holding it in place. For use it goes on the table with a short extension lead going to the socket in the overhead locker.

This year we splashed out on a new 'George' with removable hot plates - It's majik!! Currently on discount from Argoost. The removable plates make it a treat to clean.

We also use an ordinary domestic kettle. It's quite home from home really.

Word of warning DO NOT use them together! We have got into the habit of using only one power socket for all so we cannot plug in more than one at a time. Sometimes, if we know we have 16 amps we might use 2 outta 3, if the particular lead reaches the other socket.

Have a safe journey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back