Michelin rejects new tyre proposals (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Michelin has strongly rejected calls from parts of the tyre industry to increase the minimum tread depth from 1.6mm to 3mm.
Michelin said that there is no link between accident rates and a 1.6mm tyre depth or any evidence that a 3 mil depth would lead to greater safety.

Apart from the initial cost of the tyres, changing at a depth of 3mm would cost the vehicle owner money by increasing carbon emissions - especially as fuel performance increases as the tyre wears. (Remember the old days driving on 'slicks'? If you got knocked down, you got 20 canvas lashes into the bargain! :D2)

Michelin has commissioned a report from Ernst & Young where they found that such a change would cost EU drivers €6.9 billion (£5.91bn) per year in unnecessary tyre changes and additional fuel consumption. Not only that, there would be an adverse impact on the environment. Changing tyres early would result in 128 million extra tyres being produced each year causing 9 million tons of extra CO2 emissions!

They don't say WHO the 'other parts of the industry' are.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Even if they increased the 'wear indicator' blocks to a height of 3mm, without a change in the law people would just run them down to the current legal limit of 1.6mm, but would lose the early warning that their tyres were approaching the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aren't we the only country in Europe with the pathetic 1.6 limit most are 2mm & a lot it's 3mm in winter. Sounds like a good move to me .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I disagree with the 128 million extra tyres.
They would simply make the tread 1.4mm deeper and adjust the aspect ratio accordingly to maintain the same diameter.
A slight extra cost to the consumer but no where near the cost of buying new tyres earlier or the quoted 9 million tons of extra emissions produced.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On the other hand Michelin might be getting in the defence before the EU states that the manufacturers have to make the tyres 1,4mm deeper so that the customer gets the same depth for the same price ?:LOL:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Difficult and expensive enough already getting shut of the worn tyres, no room on the planet for another 128 million flower planters:whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Aren't we the only country in Europe with the pathetic 1.6 limit most are 2mm & a lot it's 3mm in winter. Sounds like a good move to me .

Nope. 1.6mm is a European figure not a British one and anyway it's only cars and light vehicles that have such a high limit. (y)

For bikes, vehicles over 3500kg and buses/PSVs it's 1mm.

EDIT: Before anyone says it I don't think the 1mm applies to heavy motorhomes because for all practical purposes (Class 4 MOT etc) they're treated as cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nope. 1.6mm is a European figure not a British one and anyway it's only cars and light vehicles that have such a high limit. (y)
At least Germany and France it is 2mm & Germany is 3mm in winter.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Still EU members for the next 2 years but nothing moves that quick in the EU.
Sensible to change the tyres at 4mm anyway as grip is well down in the wet by then.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Back to the old days .mine were all slicks before MOT .When they got really bad (smoothie as silk with wire hanging out ) it was back to scrap yard and an exchange for £2 with something with the shadow of a tread .O those heady days lol.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
At least Germany and France it is 2mm & Germany is 3mm in winter.

Are you absolutely sure? 2mm is certainly recommended just like it is here but that's not the same thing as being required.

http://www.languedoc-france.info/06020303_drivinglaw.htm

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/germany/

I can find nothing other than the odd unsubstantiated opinion on forums that mentions anything other than 1.6mm.

Perhaps you could link to the relevant laws from each country?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Don't worry about the tread depth the 5 years since being made will get you first.
My year old van has tyres made in 2014, they were 2.5 years old before being driven on.
Maybe I can write over the birthday marks, with a hot press brander.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just removed a tyre off mine that was dated as 02 it lasted well. its sister tyre is still on . cant waste good tyres . might even go abroad with it . but will take a spare tyre incase . tyres are expensive abroad. always carry two spares on rims but will have spare tyres as well next time .
after all dont want to be giving any cash to them eu chaps do we . buy chinese tyres , good grip good lasting . good price .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't worry about the tread depth the 5 years since being made will get you first.

Even that's only a recommendation

There's no specific legislation requiring a tyre over 5 years old to be replaced and the age of the tyre on its own is not an MOT failure as long as there's nothing else wrong with it. (y)

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry can't find the links got so many bookmaks on my system and struggling with only the use of only my left hand since my op this morning on right hand. one thing that has become clear is during the winter in countries where M & S or winter tyres are required the limit then is 3mm & some countries 4mm. In Germany if stopped and tyres are on the limit (not below) you will not be allowed to continue your journey.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My year old van has tyres made in 2014, they were 2.5 years old before being driven on.
Maybe I can write over the birthday marks, with a hot press brander.
Depends on mileage I expect mine to last about 3 years 4 ears at most, they were 3 months old when we took delivery.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Still EU members for the next 2 years but nothing moves that quick in the EU.
Sensible to change the tyres at 4mm anyway as grip is well down in the wet by then.

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that ?
I'm sure at 5mm they will be worse than the 6mm when new!
Maybe we should change them after the first trip out - they could be dangerous.
The manufactures and government experts have decided that 1.6 mm of tread is still safe, who are we to argue ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you have any evidence to substantiate that ?
I'm sure at 5mm they will be worse than the 6mm when new!
Maybe we should change them after the first trip out - they could be dangerous.
The manufactures and government experts have decided that 1.6 mm of tread is still safe, who are we to argue ?
Motorhome & van tyres have 10 mm on them when new, if you are going to do winter driving with ice and snow 4mm is the minium for safety. 1.6 mm is absoulut minium. Grip in poor condiotions falls off rapidly below 4 mm.
I will be changing mine at 4 mm hopefully I'll get 3 years out of them, £220 a year is a small price to pay to ensure your life.

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Motorhome & van tyres have 10 mm on them when new, if you are going to do winter driving with ice and snow 4mm is the minium for saftey. 1.6 mm is absoulut minium. Grip in poor condiotions falls off rapidly below 4 mm.
I will be changing mine at 4 mm hopefully I'll get 3 years out of them, £220 a year is a small price to pay to ensure your life.
If you read the original post Michelin refute your claims.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've done 37,000 miles on our Continental VancoCampers
They're not quite down to the studs yet but I'm changing them this week cos I'm keen to have the shortest stopping distance I can get, especially when using motorways in the rain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you read the original post Michelin refute your claims.
It is only Michelin & Goodyear, other tyre manufacturers support it on safety grounds also Michelin only carried out tests on premium tyres which only represents a proportion of tyres on the road.

Have a look at this article

I don't get it you are driving about in Motohomes costing anything up to a couple of hundred grand yet you are quibbling about a few hundred quid to make your life safer.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't get it you are driving about in Motohomes costing anything up to a couple of hundred grand yet you are quibbling about a few hundred quid to make your life safer.

Its all right for some but my MoHo cost a site less than £30k and I need all the savings I can make.
Can I have your cast off tyres when you replace them? I'll collect, PM me ASAP as I need all four tyres now - I'm down to 1+ mm.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It is only Michelin & Goodyear, other tyre manufacturers support it on safety grounds also Michelin only carried out tests on premium tyres which only represents a proportion of tyres on the road.

Have a look at this article

I didn't see any mention in that article of vehicle speed (or tyre pressure) as a significant factor in aquaplaning. 1.6mm or 3mm tread depth when you hit standing water becomes irrelevant at speeds above about 40mph. If there is standing water, for safety you need to slow right down, and keep a longer distance to the vehicle in front. Encouraging drivers to believe that if they still have 3mm of tread they will be safe at 70 mph in extreme wet conditions is the wrong way to go.

If there is snow and ice on the road, unless you have proper winter tyres best not travel. Avoid black ice conditions altogether. Been there, done the 360 spin, luckily didn't hit anything or end up in a ditch.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Its all right for some but my MoHo cost a site less than £30k and I need all the savings I can make.
Can I have your cast off tyres when you replace them? I'll collect, PM me ASAP as I need all four tyres now - I'm down to 1+ mm.
You will have a long wait my van has just had it's maiden voyage.:D

Our van is bought out of our hard earned capital but running expenses come out of our small pensions but not prepared to risk my life for the sake of a few quid.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Motorhome & van tyres have 10 mm on them when new, if you are going to do winter driving with ice and snow 4mm is the minium for safety. 1.6 mm is absoulut minium. Grip in poor condiotions falls off rapidly below 4 mm.
Tyres are only one aspect of driving. I have mine professionally checked twice a year and changed at 11 years old and now on new tyres. However, as I said, tyres are only one aspect. Is there ANY information anywhere that tyres less than 2mm say, are contributory factors in road accidents/deaths? HGV etc are to 1mm however, most companies change around 3mm but still legal to 1mm.
Lets try other aspects of accidents etc. Drink or drugs. Speed. Other road users and that's just 3 other aspects.
I certainly wouldn't change at 3/4 years old but if you're happy at that then that's brilliant but it doesn't affect anyone else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back