Michelin Agilis, cost & valves (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hunting around for the best price for Agilis Camping CP 225 x 75 x R16 x 116/118.

Best price I can find is Kwik-fit at £638 all inc.

Vehicle currently fitted with metal valves; Kwik-Fit only replave 'normal' valves but replace the valve cores on metal valves.

Is this normal practice ?
Anyone had a better deal this month ?

Cheers 'n' Beers
Whilst they are much cheaper now the P Zeros I had were originally £500 each and they wore out at 7000 miles.
I know not everyone has an expensive MoHo but at around £150 a corner it’s not loads of money for the correct type of tyre.

Blackcircle or ‘my tyres’ may get you a better deal and a mobile tyre fitter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
(sigh)

OK, this is the third van I've had with Campers on. No problems with the previous two sets other than lack of grip uphill in the wet. But 4500Kg and fwd so I wasn't really blaming the tyres.

As I understand it, the thing that sets Michelin Campers apart is that they are reinforced to allow the vehicle to stand, unmoved, for long periods. This may just be marketing blurb, I dunno. When I get to Spain my van will be used all year ( it used to stand Mar/Apr thro' Sept/Oct ) and kept on the premises so this is no longer a consideration.

This set, 5 years old @22k, on 3500Kg van the sidewalls are cracking, hence replacement. I carry a spare which is 5 years old, never seen the light of day. As I understand it, the vagaries of the Spanish ITV (MOT) mean I need tyres appropriate for the vehicle but also identical tyres per axle. Which means I have to replace 5.

So, I'm looking at budget options now.

Another question: my current tyres are load index 116, I see some tyres listed as "116/114" and google can't tell me what this means in practice. Anyone ?

Current favourites are Nexen Rodian CT8 225/75/R16C 120/121S XL which are 10 ply 83psi and are £376 for 5, delivered, but not fitted.

Cheers 'n' Beers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Having had both I prefer Continental Vanco camper tyres now. Good mileage, good grip. nice ride and quieter.
I've had the Conti Campers in the past far superiour to the crap Michelin ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK, this is the third van I've had with Campers on. No problems with the previous two sets other than lack of grip uphill in the wet. But 4500Kg and fwd so I wasn't really blaming the tyres.
That is the main problem with them although my van is 4500kg the front axle is running at 1930 kg they spin on the slightest gradient in the wet and terrible on gravel and on steep hills they spin in the dry, terrible tyres.

Last van with Conti's the front axle was only 1630kg front wheels only ever spun on a 1 in 3 in the wet, wouldn't even get up that with Michelins on.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another question: my current tyres are load index 116, I see some tyres listed as "116/114" and google can't tell me what this means in practice. Anyone ?
I think the lower figure is when they’re fitted to twin wheel setup, eg two wheels bolted together.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As I understand it, the vagaries of the Spanish ITV (MOT) mean I need tyres appropriate for the vehicle but also identical tyres per axle. Which means I have to replace 5.
As long as each axle has the same make size on you can have different on front & rear axles.
What you need to make sure is that you buy something that is available here as of you damage one & that make isn't sold here then you've 2 to replace-Why I didn't buy some Avon's in the UK a few years back.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Really surprised at this - I changed mine when I bought the van last Nov due to age. Tyres we're presumably originals at date mark 2010, but no appreciable cracking and wear was pretty minimal for a 19k mile 4.25 tonne moho. It was a bit wrenching to bin them but a 10 years old they'd had a good life.
Same scenario here on our 2009 4250kg moho. The two front tyres were probably the originals and had plenty of tread after 30000 miles. Dealer put new ones on as they were so old. Traction is terrible but I have nothing with which to compare.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Just booked kwik fit to change 2 fronts, van came 11 years ago with bridgestone 623 light truck tyres. They've done 40k still have 4mm of tread left but changing due to age. Going with bridgestone 660 as 623 no longer available about £95 each
I've used Bridgestone on my McLouis for the last 5 years excellent tyres good all round performance

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
(sigh)

As I understand it, the thing that sets Michelin Campers apart is that they are reinforced to allow the vehicle to stand, unmoved, for long periods. This may just be marketing blurb, I dunno. When I get to Spain my van will be used all year ( it used to stand Mar/Apr thro' Sept/Oct ) and kept on the premises so this is no longer a consideration.

This set, 5 years old @22k, on 3500Kg van the sidewalls are cracking, hence replacement. I carry a spare which is 5 years old, never seen the light of day. As I understand it, the vagaries of the Spanish ITV (MOT) mean I need tyres appropriate for the vehicle but also identical tyres per axle. Which means I have to replace 5.

So, I'm looking at budget options now.

Current favourites are Nexen Rodian CT8 225/75/R16C 120/121S XL which are 10 ply 83psi and are £376 for 5, delivered, but not fitted.

Cheers 'n' Beers

We have recently fitted the Roadians in place of the Agilis's….and I can highly recommend them...as you have no doubt discovered they are much more substantially constructed than the Michelins and as such have a higher load rating....when I removed the Michelins myself and the fitter compared them side by side and it was instantly noticed how more substantial the construction of the Nexens were..... he also stated he thought the Nexens were brilliant tyres and he has sold a lot.... having driven on them I am equally impressed..

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I have Agilis on my van done 29000 mls fronts and rears now 4mm, changed front to rear etc 3.5 years old will change them next year, so are Nexen tyres a better ride i dont believe all this camper tyre crap, anyway i use my M/H its not on my drive for long and i run fronts 4.3 bar rears 4.8 or 5.0 if its overweight and the tyre wear is spot on. Bill

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I have Agilis on my van done 29000 mls fronts and rears now 4mm, changed front to rear etc 3.5 years old will change them next year, so are Nexen tyres a better ride i dont believe all this camper tyre crap, anyway i use my M/H its not on my drive for long and i run fronts 4.3 bar rears 4.8 or 5.0 if its overweight and the tyre wear is spot on. Bill
Well I personally find the Nexens a better ride... but I suppose a lot has to do with the characteristics of the particular van they are on... we are a large A class 8.4m tag axle... what is great for us may not be for someone else....like I said earlier though when I removed them myself and the fitter compared like for like next to each other...the sidewalls in particular were much more substantial on the Nexens compared to the Agilis, but I suppose this is understandable as they are higher load rated, that is even before factoring in the Nexens are almost half the price of Agilis….which are way overpriced in my opinion which meant for our tag we save approx. £450 although money was not an overriding factor in my choice...... I did a lot of research on this and tend to listen to the people that fit them on a daily basis rather than people on social media... I have seen loads of talk about "you must only fit CP tyres etc", or the other classic "If you don't it will invalidate your insurance"....all total codswallop...

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
OK, follow-up.

Just driven Bolton to Leopoldsburg and back via the Chunnel. 981miles. Absolutely empty going, absolutely rammed returning. Overall mpg 34.2 - i normally expect 30-31mpg (130bhp Fiat)

Apart from the fuel consumption the ony thing I thought was different ( all my previous m/h driving has been on Michelin Campers) was that these tyres are louder thumping on Spaghetti Junctions expansion joints.
Had one wheepspin on 1st to second chang-up, in the wet, out-dragging a hgv coz I was in the wrong lane.

So AFAIC the only difference I can discern is in the price.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I have to say, I am a passionate defender of Michelin tyres. I have them on all our fleet of cars apart from one which will have them fitted next time. I absolutely love them and genuinely believe that there would be far less whining and complaining about them if they were not French.

The Nexans are worth considering from what I have read. I would never fit anything Chinese on principle no matter how good or well priced but the Nexans are made in South Korea, a democracy of good standing.

I will look at them and if anybody has more reports please list them here.

Meanwhile, I continue with Agalis on our motor home and I am very pleased with them indeed. While the debate goes on I absolutely recommend them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back