Mice!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
MH in store (on a farm) and unattended for a few weeks while on cruise .

In our absence we have had a squatter in the shape of one or more mice :Sad:. Unfortunately we had a packet of instant mash which sustained it. It also removed most of the labels from our tins for bedding materials before finding a better source in a pillow. Surprisingly it also set off the alarm (sensitive eh!) :Angry::Angry:

I have a mouse scarer thingy but it only works off the mains which is not available where I store it. Anyone know of one that works from its own battery?:helpsos:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, we were once invaded by mice while stored on a farm- only been there for 4 days! We put traps down and caught 13 of the little blighters in a week. We think they were climbing up the tyres and getting in through any hole they could find, so we stapled small-holed metal mesh over any holes we could see. This did the trick- never saw any more. They did quite a bit of damage and made plenty of mess! Don't think that there is only one -they will be all over the place and in our experience the repellers don't work, but traps do! We don't normally like to kill things but in this case we felt we had no real choice.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
This any help Link Removed

on taking the beast from its lair this Autumn we took with us unwanted guests. WE bought one of the above controllers and put bait down, by the time we got back 1500miles and three weeks later they were still in residence. We resorted to traps and caught 8 in a week. They chewed through a lot of wiring caused a lot of damage.

Last edited:

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Bad luck... we had the same trouble awhile back , ours was a rat though..fortunately we where lucky bit of cosmetic damage to fridge and cuboards and one water pipe. What ever device you put in place also make the effort to check your van as much as possible... I even left the radio playing on ours for a week (sad I know) found one hole on the van where the sealant had been missed but thats all it took. :thumb:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we had one of those thingys that worked off the mains . did not go much on it when i watched a mouse siting on top of it cleaning its self. been told that moth balls keep the little darlings out :RollEyes:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
My Neice has a pair of hyper-active, mentaly deranged Devon Rex Cats.

Want me to ask if you can borrow them?

Peter

(mind you, they will probably trash the van !)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Bad luck... we had the same trouble awhile back , ours was a rat though..fortunately we where lucky bit of cosmetic damage to fridge and cuboards and one water pipe. What ever device you put in place also make the effort to check your van as much as possible... I even left the radio playing on ours for a week (sad I know) found one hole on the van where the sealant had been missed but thats all it took. :thumb:

It was probably playing the Boomtown Rats.....:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we store our christmas deco's ect in an old static caravan in the yard.
also my RC model aircraft :Doh:

went for them this year and all the silk babbles had the silk thead removed amd some of the polystyrene centers had been chewed.

these are, of course, cheapish to replace but the seat cushion foam isnt.....every bloody cushion had big holes chewed in them. :Angry:

darnt look in the 'model' room.:Sad:

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
We put double mesh around every hole we have found.

Then we let the cat sleep in the van, accessed via the roof light.

So far no mice or rates.

Our caravan suffered until we lett he cat in every week, and after an inital skirmish, they we never seen again.

The cat has now started to come away with us, of his own free will, but thats another lot of tales.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back