Mice! (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Over the Christmas period, discovered mice droppings in the drawers at floor level and on top of the table and hob, despite having an ultrasonic mouse machine switched on. It is the first time since we started motorhoming in the early eighties that we have ever had these unwelcome guests. Anyway, put down a couple of traps and caught two of them. The only place I could see where they had got in was on the rear wheel side of the entrance step where there is a slot cut in the floor for all the cables to enter the inside of the van under the fridge. I pumped in a heap of expanding foam, and touch wood, seem to have got rid of them. Just a warning if anybody else suffers the same problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If that is the only entry point, which is doubtful, you may have trapped more inside.
And a couple of mice with nothing better to do...... Well, work it out. :xlaugh:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If that is the only entry point, which is doubtful, you may have trapped more inside.
And a couple of mice with nothing better to do...... Well, work it out. :xlaugh:

..they learn to play guitar?? ;)

Also buy lots of Lavender oil and sprinkle copiously around van interior ... it does help keep them out along with your other deterrant efforts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The only place I could see where they had got in was on the rear wheel side of the entrance step where there is a slot cut in the floor for all the cables to enter the inside of the van under the fridge.

I would also keep an eye on the floor gas vent; the Truma inlet air pipe and the joins in the chassis where the front cab and the van sections meet.

It may also be a good idea to have a quick check of your air and inlet manifold to see if the little monsters have nested or taken up residence.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Also buy lots of Lavender oil and sprinkle copiously around van interior ... it does help keep them out along with your other deterrant efforts.

Aaahh , sweet smelling meeces :xgrin:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I was told that mice and rats piddle as they travel leaving a trail for others to follow. So if you spray around the outside with jeyes fluid this will break the trail and deter others from following.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years

What if Lavender oil is an aphrodisiac to Jerry & his partner, if you find tiny little scented candles around the shower you may be in trouble ;) :p

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
They got in mine by running along the driveshaft and up the steering column. Lots of poop and piddle on the dashboard.

They built a huge nest under the dashboard on the drivers side. Had to remove the dash and vents and hoovered the nest out. Didn't find any mice in the nest, but lots of conkers stored for the winter months. Seems they'd been quite busy.

Set a humane trap and caught them quite nicely, just can't kill them, and then let them go away from home.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Throughout the winter I have 6 baited neck breaking traps set. Rarely catch anything now but first time I did this I caught 18 mice in a week in spite of the rodent repellent gadget. No point in humane traps as mh is in storage and is only checked weekly or less so will starve to death which isn't very humane.

OP
OP
K
Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Thanks guys for all your inputs. I caught two in traps in the van, and left a further 4 traps set for 5 days after blocking up the hole under the fridge. No more signs of any mice. Went away for a days run and had heater on full as well as water heater. Everything works as it should, so assume that problem has gone. Incidentally, had 4 mice caught in an outhouse away from the shed that the van was being stored in at the same time, and have had no more of the blighters for over a week now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back