LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Although the problem I have experienced was with my car, it could also be relevant to motorhomes. My car went in for its annual service and MOT today. The garage rang me to say that it had only failed the MOT because it needs new wiper blades. When carrying out the service they discovered that mice had been having the fuel overflow pipe for dinner, which neeeds to be replaced at a cost of £145 Their suggestion, to avoid this in future, is that I spray the engine compartment with WD40. Do you think this will work as a deterrent, or do you have any better ideas?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Their suggestion, to avoid this in future, is that I spray the engine compartment with WD40. Do you think this will work as a deterrent, or do you have any better ideas?

This was an ongoing problem with my last MH, and only today I've been at the storage site laying bait around the current one to keep the little buggers out. My first mouse encounter was finding the lining to my wiring loom had been gnawed - imagine the cost of replacing that if they'd kept gnawing. They used to get into the habitation area through the passenger side footwell lining.

I'm convinced essence of peppermint spread on horizontal surfaces in the engine compartment helps, but better still, get some of those little baited plastic boxes from B&Q and cable tie one into a suitable part of the engine compartment where it's not going to melt. I also use empty plastic chewing gum pots with the blue blocks of doom wedged inside them. One under the front tyre, one in the cab, and one in the boot. Fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back