Triciatally

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What a nightmare !! Has anyone got any solutions, have set traps but no luck!! Very upset anything considered

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even more traps and place trays of poison bait in out of the way places where pets cant get to it.

make sure EVERY scrap of food, even bagged dry food (pasts etc), is removed.
look down the back of drawers/in the bottom of cupboards etc for spilt food.

if you're using those humane traps then put up with mice...waste of money and mice are vermin, not cuddly little critters. so don't feel bad about topping a few.

only thing is if they do eat poison/get trapped and die, they tend to stink for a while. :Sad:

BTW...welcome to the FUN

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whatever you do get rid of them quick...A friend had them in his MH and you wouldn't believe the damage they did to his wiring. There's something in the plastic covering on electrical wires that they love. I once had them in my Panda toad and they ate the top off the washer bottle and brake fluid reservoir.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are not catching them in the traps then there must be a food source somewhere. Find and remove that and then they should stick their head in your traps. Remember the food source might be outside the van. Traps are better than poison (peanut butter or chocolate spread are good for baiting traps) You don't want them dying/dead hidden away as they will stink for a while.

The first cold nights see mice looking for somewhere warm and it's common for them to get into motorhomes. The good news is that if you have mice, you don't have rats::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shreky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2011
doncaster
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Mice

oh dear ... what a nightmare !!!

They love chocolate, so put some of that in "proper" mouse trap NOT humane ones.

Seal ALL cracks and holes where they may be getting in....PLEASE NOTE,a mouse can literally get through a 5mm gap..TRUST ME.

Went through the Rockies in a motorhome last month......... got five of the god damn cheese eatin , bread stealing, noisy beggers in the van.

I had the pleasure of watching one just tucking into my bagles one night.

its the cold weather, they just love somewhere warm to drop there poo !!!!!!

Sorry not much use i know, but i feel for ya honest......:Sad:

Shreky

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Can't add any more to the catching and trapping, but we were given an invaluable tip of stopping them getting in (or out!).

We lived a few years on a barge in a barge community. Most were left unoccupied during the winter and that's a long time for vermin to do a little damage.

The tip was to stuff up any gaps with wire wool as they don't like chewing it, and it works every time...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We actually had field mice in our kitchen here due to a minute hole left round a pipe - if you can get a pencil in the hole, then it's big enough .... We filled the hole.

Trawled Coventry for 'human' perspex traps, baited them with finest quality - Cadbury's - Buttons. Caught one. Released into a field some distance from our house. Caught another next day, same again.

Later that evening Pete was washing up and I was wiping - little bugger appeared from nowhere, ran along the back of the sink, up the mixer tap and sat on the horizontal bit, washing his whiskers! We howled with laughter. He really was so sweet. :Smile:

Then we went out and invested in a couple of 'Little Nippers'. :cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Oh dear! You have our sympathies.....seriously! We are in the country and the mh will be outside the house surrounded by fields, so we're dreading something like this happening over the winter especially.
We had a breather pipe destroyed in the car recently, that was a costly repair, I presume they just made their way inside the bonnet/engine area when the car was still warm.
However, it will be very difficult, if not impossible to stop the little b***ers from getting in, they can squeeze in a gap the size of a pencil, so I suppose we've no chance. No sure about these plug-in things that give out a high frequency noise, we had those fitted in the loft and the mice had a field day when we went away for the weekend:Doh:
Furniture chewed etc and droppings everywhere. Can't stand cats, so that's not an option either.
Good luck with this and welcome to mh fun!:Smile:
Oh and I would rather have the moles in the garden, than mice in the mh:Angry:
We have bats in the roof space above the loft......but that's another story:Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
You can't beat the "little nipper" traps, forget the "humane" ones, once you let them go they're back in again soon after.:Doh:

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Ban the 'mices'

Hi
Buy some baited grain rat and mice eliminator from the DIY.
Put some in a saucer, or similar, under the table or where you know they visit and bingo they disappear. They'll leave the area in search of water, presumably via the route they came in. Then you'll have to search and find their entry route.
I use this system every autumn in my sheds and greenhouse, it definitely works, about £7 for a small plastic bucket.:thumb:.
ATB
Incamania

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
mice

Hi, we had same trouble last year ,so following a bit of advice from a fellow funster I got a sonic mouse repeller from e bay result :thumb:no more meeses inside the van but I have noticed the washer bottle top is well chewed I guess I can live with that :RollEyes:

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Ban the 'mices'

Hi
Sorry I meant to add to my reply - Keep adding more bait if it is eaten, you'll know when the offenders have left you as no more bait is used. I can't recall ever having to dispose of a dead body. As I said they leave to find water.
During the winter I always leave some bait around.
Wash you hands after handling.:thumb:.
ATB
Incamania

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think someone on here once suggested lavender??

Apparently mice do not like the stuff......... I might try it! You will need to block up all the holes with some mesh or similar substance. I have to plug a few myself actually before I get the same problem!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
some motorhomes will become virtual greenhouses what with lavender for mice and conkers for spiders, what repels ants and flies some one must have a remedy, and wasps looking to make their nest - had one in the aircon unit on our first van

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I think we will buy loads of lavender (both dried and the oil) and try that, plus the traps......:Cool: I saw two mice in the garden the other day, so will need to look out for when we get the mh back from the repair work being done:Blush::Angry:

Barry, I think it would less hassle with the moles in the mh!:roflmto:

Margaret & Bill

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
some motorhomes will become virtual greenhouses what with lavender for mice and conkers for spiders, what repels ants and flies some one must have a remedy, and wasps looking to make their nest - had one in the aircon unit on our first van

How did they keep up with you on the motorway ?

Can be nasty. We had a wasp's bike under our floor once. No the bell didn't bother us but the blighters were coming through beneath sinks between some floorboards etc.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
proper traps peanut butter as jim said this is because they cannot remove it so they stay to eat bang trap goes dead mouse (not the dj) get rid of body reset trap keep going until all gone. humane traps are pointless it's not as though the mouse thinks " oh they let me live so i will not go back to their motorhome and destroy something expensive" just kill'em:hardhat:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I think we will buy loads of lavender (both dried and the oil) and try that, plus the traps......:Cool: I saw two mice in the garden the other day, so will need to look out for when we get the mh back from the repair work being done:Blush::Angry:

Barry, I think it would less hassle with the moles in the mh!:roflmto:

Margaret & Bill

Sorry another spelling mistake....I meant to type Mules !!!!!!

make a horrible mess and the traps are bloody enormous !!!

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back