Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Afternoon all
Wondering what everyone uses as mice deterrent during the winter?
Not bothered before but this year she will be in storage and think better safe than sorry.
The more humane the better.
Thank you šŸ™

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Quick answer: Remove all items that would interest a mouse.
So a deep clean - inc. lockers.

But I don't know if a mouse would make a home in a motor home just because it was warm & dry.
If they do my idea isn't a cure all.

edit: & I'm assuming they'd just eat items of food. Maybe natural materials like cotton & wood are on their menu.
Sorry. It's a bigger topic than my "Mouse 101" knowledge.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No they eat plastic so electrical wiring and foam, as well as the covering of the foam, ie your upholstery, anything they can make a nice warm comfy nest with. And of course, piss and shit as they go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
peppermint oil works well or some of the strong smelling chemicals like zoflora with ammonia in. It confuses their nose as it could be rat urine. The two rodents won't naturally co-exist. Better still keep them out of any access risk areas

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The little beasts got into our last car while is was parked in the garage for several weeks. We were away in the van at the time.
No food or anything interesting for mice you would have thought.
Little sods chewed lumps out of the passenger seat and all round the gearstick gaiter.
We now put cotton wool pads with a few drops of peppermint oil around the car and van.

Richard

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
68C3ADA0-5514-490B-ADD4-B3DB8CBF3A99.jpeg

?šŸ˜‰šŸ¤Ŗ

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have fitted a couple of these under our van plus we have E&P leveller and I leave our van off the ground on the jacks.

Amazon product ASIN B081R9H3JV

Whilst the sonar may work, not sure how much help jacks are going to be, little barstewards scamper up along and through whether its via actual pipes, inside them, or outside them, can you get a pencil in a hole? Then mice can get through it. Should it be rats then they simply rip whatever out of the way so unless it's more or less solid stainless steel, they just destroy it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Whilst the sonar may work, not sure how much help jacks are going to be, little barstewards scamper up along and through whether its via actual pipes, inside them, or outside them, can you get a pencil in a hole? Then mice can get through it. Should it be rats then they simply rip whatever out of the way so unless it's more or less solid stainless steel, they just destroy it.

Wheels are 8" off the ground and the jack legs are the only thing in contact with the ground which means that they will have to climb a 2 foot slippery pole, and yes I know they can jump, but it kept them at bay up until now and I know we have rats about as next door keeps chickens and I see the little sods triggering our CCTV cameras.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I put Sticky pad mouse traps near to any access points and in the basement lockers, when we had the R-V stored in the USA, they where quite effective. Also the sheets that you get to put in tumble driers too are effective as deterrent, we put them with the bedding and clothing etc;. IF you can stand the smell "mothballs" are reckoned to work too.

I`m not sure that long term use of the Jacks, is recommended, I would be inclined to check with the Manufacturer. A better solution might be to use the jacks to raise the coach and put axle stands under the chassis?.

My solution is to take it out and use it of course but that is not always possible.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Friends of ours that just happen to be visiting today, šŸ˜‰ so the discussion will continue later, šŸ˜€ purchased a new car last year, and parks it on a tarpaulin and lifts it up making a nappy type to try and discourage rodents, after they like the fact they use SOY šŸ˜² in the wiring. šŸ™„ šŸ˜‹ Bob.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Mines parked on shingle (which they donā€™t like anyway) and I spray the shingle , underneath, with bleach every so often . I also use a sonic gizmo

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Afternoon all
Wondering what everyone uses as mice deterrent during the winter?
Not bothered before but this year she will be in storage and think better safe than sorry.
The more humane the better.
Thank you šŸ™

Lavender oil EVERYWHERE including tissues in cupboards, sink, drawers, etc., when you leave it.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Saw this film once, where the mouse was enticed out with cheese. The mouse was then shot at by the mouse catcher, a blue cat, using a side by side shotgun with lots of rounds. Therefore get yourself a 12 bore and a pound of medium cheddar and wait.

(I used poison bait for the two times I have had rats & mice. Worked both times.)

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
All you need is a small piece of wood with a razor blade sticking up out of it. The mouse walks up to it and shakes his head from side to side thinking wheres the cheese!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I put a couple of trays of Roban poison down under the van (it's in a garage). Just needs topping up once or twice a year and that keeps them out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back