M'homing in Florida (2 Viewers)

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
There are six of us aged from 6 to 72 years going to Florida. We want to travel the east coast from Kennedy Space Centre to Key West and back in a week. Anyone done this, is it feasible? Any suggestions of places to visit and where to camp would be appreciated. Thank you.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Never done the trip in an RV, only on a motorcycle :Smile:
we found it an exciting trip, but steered clear of the main routes & took the back roads where possible.:thumb:
It's not a big distance by US standards, 375 Miles / 604 Km - You could drive it in about 7 hours with a good following wind but that would spoil the trip :Smile:

OP
OP
R

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
Thanks for your reply. We intend to motor in the mornings and visit places of interest in the afternoons. We are now looking for places that appeal to us all i.e. grandparents, children and grandchildren. Hoping to have a laid back week before "doing" Disney !!! Did you stop at any really good campgrounds?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for your reply. We intend to motor in the mornings and visit places of interest in the afternoons. We are now looking for places that appeal to us all i.e. grandparents, children and grandchildren. Hoping to have a laid back week before "doing" Disney !!! Did you stop at any really good campgrounds?

when you go past Miami on US 1 through Dade county look out for John Penny Camp Corel Reef Park....do a google for the mile marker # also Monkey Jungle, your the ones in the cages but mind they will drop cups on chains for you to give them nuts! also a Dolphin Protection Park somewhere about Key Largo again google its a few years since i was at Homestead AFB. so probably loads more.
PS just out side Miami airport is Florida mall. and if you go in July/Aug its the devils armpit!
It will pi*&s down about 3pm like you haven't seen, then two mins later the ground is dry!
hope thats some help!

OP
OP
R

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
Thanks Mad Merv. We are going in November so it should be cooler then and less crowded. I like the idea of Monkey Jungle perhaps I'll just send the grandkids in !!!

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If you are travelling on the Florida Turnpike (I-95) between the Keys and Cape Canaveral there are toll sections and service 'plazas' every 40-50 miles. This road can get busy but it is ok. Just south of Miami is Biscayne Bay, popular with the locals for relaxing. Once past Homestead, the Keys are about as laid back as you can get.

Personally I'd be doing the route the other way around, Disney first then a week to recover in the sun! If you drive from Orlando to Cape Canaveral, the toll road is boring...straight....straight and straight...with a few alligators.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have experienced three RV holidays in the US, but not Florida yet.
One on the west coast, one on the east coast and up into Canada and have recently returned from a four week trip from Chicago to Las Vegas.
On each one camp sites were easy to find with municipal and commercial sites and www.koa.com (catalogue available) to choose from.
We found that theme parks and other attractions had lots of space for parking RVs and some have dedicated RV parks nearby.
If you are hiring RVs there are many to choose from, we have used Cruise America and El Monte, but there are more and some offering RVs with slideouts.
Good luck, its a great experience :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
It is possible but to give you time to see things you will get to key west in time to turn round and come back......Orlando to key west is a trip I did many times when living in Florida......if you like lazy days then get a book of State national parks cheapest day out you will ever have $2-$10 per day per vehicle......plus some have very cheap o/night camping no EHU.

Hope this helps

All the best Rick

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Quick tip - we drove down the Keys to Key West a few years ago - went south mid-week and all was fine. However, we made the mistake of trying to return to Miami on a Sunday afternoon / early evening. Disaster - all the highways were completely gridlocked and it took an EXTRA 5 hours to get back!

In any case, have a great trip. :thumb:

OP
OP
R

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
Thanks for the input. It is our intention to soak up the sights with stops for perhaps a swim with the dolphins/monkey jungle/airboat ride/atlantic beach. Then take a quick look at Key West before getting back for our second week (in a villa) doing Disney.
Cruise America is booked and we have the KOA catalogue. On our first day we go to Cape Canaveral so the boring roads will give our two drivers time to get used to the vehicle. We had vague ideas but you guys have put a little meat on the bones! A very successful first post for us. Thank you.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The run down to the cape is mainly toll road...if it is your drivers first time driving in the US just warn them that the trucks have the same speed limit as cars....and as these guys are paid by the mile they tend to be speeding....so don't think they will be going as slow as they do here.....by the way I don't think that road is that boring look at the side of the road loads of wild life including hogs and racoons.......gators are all all over the place.....quite a few bald eagles at the cape also.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back