MH Snobishness - does it exist? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So it's ok to spend loads of money on a van so long as you're a Funster?

(Only pulling your leg)
Thinking about this a bit more maybe it's not exactly snobbery in the accepted form , but there is definitely something that makes other motorhomers not want to speak to fellow Brits , maybe dress or something , last month we were in honflur and there was maybe a dozen other U.K. Vans on there and I walked round and spoke to most of them but they just grunted at best and turned away, and they didn't know what van we were in at that point, so if it's not snobbery what is it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thinking about this a bit more maybe it's not exactly snobbery in the accepted form , but there is definitely something that makes other motorhomers not want to speak to fellow Brits , maybe dress or something , last month we were in honflur and there was maybe a dozen other U.K. Vans on there and I walked round and spoke to most of them but they just grunted at best and turned away, and they didn't know what van we were in at that point, so if it's not snobbery what is it.

Sorry matey I don't know

I'm quite a private person, so as such I don't seek out the company of others.

I'm not miserable
I'm not a snob
I just prefer to keep myself to myself

Edit:
Having said that, if I do make a connection with someone, I will go out of my way to be social with them

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
People with old vans are in them because they couldn't afford one of these palaces and use them for wilding and aires and suchlike , one door up from tents,

OUCH!

That's extremely judgemental, insulting, and, dare I say, quite a snobbish opinion.

One of the things I love about the life we have chosen is that it's a great equaliser. I love having a yarn with the man next door in the £200 000 NB and sharing facts and stories about our vans and our travels.

I've had the occasional van move when I've pulled up alongside but I understand. It saddens me sometimes but only because I think, what a waste, we could have been pals for the night if only you hadn't judged me for the way my van looks. But it doesn't happen often and it will never take away the joy I've had the hundreds of non judgemental people in whatever van they chose to buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Ah, you could have been flying half mast down below , I always check :D

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
[/daughter and hubby just off to Chapel -le -Dale adjacent to the Ribblehead viaduct North Yorkshire and the Hill Inn pub for the weekend

Please forgive me for being a little off topic but I love the Old Hill Inn. Situate in God's Own Country (and I'm from Coventry and live in Leicestershire) in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales. Stunning views, great food and a lovely certificated site. We used to go there often, as we have a little holiday cottage down the road in Ingleton - which we hardly ever use now we have a motorhome - and it is one of our favourite haunts. I can recommend the Comic Song Contest at this pub - 2nd October this year - which is held as part of the annual Ingleton Folk Festival. Bits of previous contests are available on YouTube. By the way, we are not snobs even though we have a holiday home (he said in a flagrant and desperate attempt to get back on topic before @Jim sends me to my home town).[/QUOTE]
That's twice you mentioned you had a holiday home? :D2:censored:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

Maybe its just you @chaser ! I'm not being snobbish, but from your avatar, you do look a bit of a wrong un:LOL:

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012

It's sad but we all see it all the time the fact that we're all on this foram excludes us from the miserable gits.:D
Once saw a lad with shaved head and tattoos in a rough pickup and old caravan haveing trouble putting his awning up.
I went over helped him resolve his problems, just the other side of low privet hedge when I got to him were 6-8 caravan club members standing drinking wine laughing at him. I can,t emphasise MEMBERS enough.
It's a sad world.

Andy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Stop picking on @chaser .

He is just expressing an opinion.

I find lots of strange people on site. One old git told me in November last year as I walked past his van " Cut out them ( the fags) and do some exercise"

He was right of course but what gave him the right to talk to me like that?

There he was ( the twat) standing outside his pvc doing tai chi or whatever it's called. I was only walking past to find the bins

Some people just can't keep themselves out of other people's lives I think.

I did like the German lady who used to stop and flirt with me in Spain one year though every morning.She was only about 30 and hot. It did Isabel's head in

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I bought my present MH when it was less than a year old. It is now 10 years old and I haven't found anything I would replace it with. The dreaded 70 is still 4 years off so I will meet the challenge of being over 3.5T when it looms closer.

I am not very sociable myself so exchange a greeting with anyone I meet but not much else. SWMBO is the opposite and has made friends all over the continent, even some who don't have a word of a common language with her.
She is i/c waving as I do all the driving, we sometimes miss waving at PVCs simply because many look like delivery vans from the front, and it's too late once they've passed.
Sometimes I don't think her wave is seen, as the seats are a long way back from the windscreen in an A-class.

We close the blinds on the windscreen and the sunny side as soon as we park to keep some of the heat out, but then we usually sit outside.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's sad but we all see it all the time the fact that we're all on this foram excludes us from the miserable gits.:D
Once saw a lad with shaved head and tattoos in a rough pickup and old caravan haveing trouble putting his awning up.
I went over helped him resolve his problems, just the other side of low privet hedge when I got to him were 6-8 caravan club members standing drinking wine laughing at him. I can,t emphasise MEMBERS enough.
It's a sad world.

Andy
That's what I would have done , even though we now have a relatively modern van now, 10 years old, I always class myself with the campervan , converted van style as we always have been, and think of ourselves as the lower end and this type of campers are usually happy to talk and mix.
Must stress again this is only my opinion and I am quite happy to be told different.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have recently downgraded to a 1992 Autosleeper. 25YEARS OLD

It's a project! that hopefully will keep me sane! IT (IT is always called IT) is a bit tired inside, needs a couple of things renewing, Roof Vents, TV Aereal Fridge, many small niggly things..
No way will we make a lot of money out of it, will more than likely lose! BUT! hey ho!, the satisfaction WILL be there when We walk away.
I spent 10 years in Aus working on Insurance claims, I got a heap of satisfaction walking into a fire and smoke damaged house, and six weeks later watching a family moving back in, me and a few other subbies looking and thinking "YEH MAN we done that!!"

It will be the same when the time comes for us to sell IT.

Snobbery? Yes we have come up against it on sites, mostly from Caravaners, but hey ho! Small minds small d***s.

Recently the local (to us) M/H & Caravan repair place told us "WE DONT WORK ON M/H s AS OLD AS YOURS!!"
Well dearie! you just done yerself out of (using your prices as a guide) about 3 1/2 grand of work :lips:my fragrant:moon2:

No Snobbery here though among Funsters!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
In 5 years on fun I can't say I have witnessed van snobbery
People snobbery a little bit at times but that's present in all walks of life
You can't get on with everyone especially with fun the size it is now
What I do like about fun is we have members from all walks of life
And it's still the most helpful forum out there
Long may it continue
Even with @ShiftZZ the little shit

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Who's picking on Chaser?

He expressed his opinion
Others expressed their opinions

Everyone is still friends

Now, let's get down to the serous business of learning the juicy truth about your German lady friend

I wasn't singling you out. It just seemed everyone was jumping on his back a bit. Just me being protective.

As for the fit German bird I don't know why she spoke to me to be honest.

Perhaps she felt sorry for me:D2

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As for the fit German bird I don't know why she spoke to me to be honest.

Perhaps she felt sorry for me:D2

Maybe she's a talent scout for an underwear modelling company?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don't think so.

It was too early in the morning for me to stuff the socks inside my pants:D2

Maybe you were using the wrong socks?

IMG_8329.JPG

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Probably, but who cares. Life is to short to worry about what others think. There are plenty of friendly guys about and 'if you play your cards right' you might just get the chance to meet them and stroke puppies and cuddle babies, share strawberries and meet Spanish circus people too.

I must admit I prefer puppies to babies......... :D2:D2

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My van is 27 years old and yes it dose happen.
Experience it in every type of forum or club I have Ben in
I usually just stop out side the van and get the family to :moon2::moon2::moon2: at the windows
I don't have a sticker so I Kant be identified as a fun member
Bill

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Indeed it does.

I dislike anyone who drives any German motorhome, anyone with grey hair, own teeff, with non Celtic blood, living south of Hinckley, who wears underpants or thongs or knickers, .

Seriously, yes there is a,little, but, being Shiftzzl. I don't give a shit.I'm in love with Camp Eddie and @Peter & Elaine and his black dick.

Off to beddie bies.
It's another day, I may have a,pulse and soon enough we will stuff those arrogant Nigels in Cardiff.

Oh yes, having a great time at Misterton, old Tell @Terry and @Lisa and crew are doing a grand job.

summer of 69 @Ron & Gerri nice one..

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sorry your having to travel home Bill. Can I ask where these photo's were taken? It looks a bit like Clatteringshaws in the Galloway forest.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Snobish behaviour definitely exists among motorhomers in exactly the same way it exists in all forms of human life.
We have met many people who don't want to communicate from many different countries.
As yet though it has had no connection with the type, size or value of the motorhome they have been in.
Some people are just born miserable and anti-social and that can easily be mistaken for snobbishness.

Richard.

Its a real shame some humans behave this way. There is a big wide world full of interesting people out there. If someone on a camp site wants to keep themselves to themselves then its up to us to respect their privacy, but snobbishness prevents folks from being friendly, its their loss.

I really like Jims idea of having the friendly face stickers, it tells other folk that we're approachable & allows us to make new friends.

Robert.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
You are spot on we over night parked just three hundred meters down the road from there
Bill

Ah thought so Bill, that's just down the road from us, the Galloway Forest park starts just over the road from us at our front & back doors. Its a beautiful area & pretty much undiscovered by the hoards of people who blast up the A74 to the highlands. I feel sorry for them, the highlands are stunning, but the southern uplands are peaceful & stuffed full of wilding spots where no-one pesters anyone about camping. We follow the simple rules in leaving the place as we find it.

Hope all is well with you mate?

Robert.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back