MH Snobishness - does it exist? (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
After 15 years of various vans we have just gone full time and treated ourselves to a 2 year old Hymer Starline as our permanent home.Always used the vans shower ,etc but surprised when talking to two different N&B owners at Travelworld dealership that they dont use the showers,only campsite facilities.So there is something in what you say .

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
At the risk of upsetting anyone on here, which doesn't apply to funsters anyway, but I think these people who buy these 100 grand motors are already people who don't mix with us ordinary folks in normal life and think they are a higher class and don't really think of themselves as campers in the real sense and don't cook or use the toilets in their motors, just a status symbol that stands in the drive for 360 days a year and not something to actually use , that is why normal campers have so much warranty problems because they actually use them how they should be used.

What's normal folk?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've learned that age and size does not matter.
What you do with it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you consider those people as normal
How do classify all the other people ?
People with old vans are in them because they couldn't afford one of these palaces and use them for wilding and aires and suchlike , one door up from tents, but these snobby sorts think they are above all this and only go to exclusive camps and stuff and above emptying cassettes and cooking and don't w,ant to talk to the riff raff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you consider those people as normal
How do classify all the other people ?

I prefer to judge people by their actions rather than by the size of their bank balance or the 'stuff' that they have.

Some people must do Mel, otherwise they wouldn't classify them differently than 'normal' people.
I know that , and you know that, but the question was asked , and yes there is snobbishness in my experiences, and was only stating why I think it is, if you think different what do put it down to.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think these people who buy these 100 grand motors are already people who don't mix with us ordinary folks in normal life and think they are a higher class and don't really think of themselves as campers in the real sense and don't cook or use the toilets in their motors, just a status symbol that stands in the drive for 360 days a year and not something to actually use
That must be why we have only done 29k miles in 29 months, spent almost a total of 6 months in the van in 2016 (hope to beat that in 2017) and never stepped inside a campsite loo or washroom (and haven't done for years). I am always being scolded by the Memsahib for nattering to other folk for ages when she is waiting for me to get back to the van with breakfast croissants.
Not a very accurate profile this time Chaser mate. Must do better! (n):D:D

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If we wanted we could afford to buy a MH over £100k, that's not bragging, just fact, but we won't as we are more than happy with our PVC costing less than half of that and will keep the funds tucked away for when we do want to change/need them for something else.

So, does that mean we are 'normal' ???? I haven't a clue ... unless someone can define what 'normal' actually is!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
People with old vans are in them because they couldn't afford one of these palaces and use them for wilding and aires and suchlike , one door up from tents, but these snobby sorts think they are above all this and only go to exclusive camps and stuff and above emptying cassettes and cooking and don't w,ant to talk to the riff raff

We're not always in old vans because we can't afford anything else but because we don't want to buy a new van.

I've met @Robert Clark and I couldn't care less what he can afford to buy ( good for him) but will state that he is a thoroughly nice normal person.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We're not always in old vans because we can't afford anything else but because we don't want to buy a new van.

I've met @Robert Clark and I couldn't care less what he can afford to buy ( good for him) but will state that he is a thoroughly nice normal person.
Agreed! (y):D

Richard.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok I give up , the question was asked and replied what I thought it was, if you all know better give us your interpretation of it, because it definitely exists.:(

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years

I love talking to the riff raff Im guessing thats because I am riff raff :D2 and I have 2 cassettes :D.

I don't care what van people have I will talk to anybody even if they don't want to talk to me :D2

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think if you tried to buy his van new, with the kit he has fitted, it would be a fair bit over £100k. ;)

Richard.
No one is discussing any individual, there are bound to be exceptions to any rule, I was only offering my opinion, no one else has come up with any other reason but just slating me for trying.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Snobish behaviour definitely exists among motorhomers in exactly the same way it exists in all forms of human life.
We have met many people who don't want to communicate from many different countries.
As yet though it has had no connection with the type, size or value of the motorhome they have been in.
Some people are just born miserable and anti-social and that can easily be mistaken for snobbishness.

Richard.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We downsized from a motorhome to a pvc last month and find motorhomes no longer wave when we pass on the road:notworthy:
Is that snobbery? Are we not worthy anymore? Are we bothered :moon2: maybe its a size thing although the wife assures me its not important:wink:
Old or new big or small just enjoy the van you have(y). Ill still wave

We always wave to PVC's - trouble is most of them are really not PVC's at all but delivery vans etc - still a few wave back!! :D2

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
No snobbery from us. We started with a trailer tent, worked through the caravans looking at the freedom of MHs. Took my first one ( Autohomes Wanderer) all around Europe. Drove like a dog, underpowered but we loved it.
Traded up to a almost new Chausson. Still wave like a mad man at every camper, MH and the occasional Super market van.
Doesn't matter when you start as long as you are meeting people and having fun.
Some motorhome are hard to spot until they have almost gone past so we tend to wave at any possibility Got a wave back last week from a confused looking horse box driver

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't consider myself snobbish in any way but I will tell you something

The Dutch wind me up. They are all friendly and speak the lingo but they are selfish sods.

Hate being near them

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've no doubt some view us as snobs because we almost never wave while on the road, usually because I'm driving and concentrating and my navigator is asleep. :D2 I also find it odd that some people who wave while on the road won't interact when on site - we're the opposite.(y)

Perhaps as well as 'Fun' stickers we should have a sign saying 'up for a chat and a beer' or similar.:)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
All this equating snobbery to money is just plain wrong.

The amount of money someone has has nothing to do with whether that person has "class" or not.

In my experience, snobs (and by snobs I mean anyone who thinks they are better than other folk for whatever reason) are usually lacking up top in the brains department and are harbouring loads of insecurities themselves.

True class can't be bought or learnt from books... it comes naturally from being a good, considerate person who is happy in his/her own skin.

Having said that... even a classless, selfish, lowlife, scum bag will be thought better of by his peers if he has a classic, collectable, pre 1990 Mercedes Hymer 660S... Pure, stylish quality on wheels. ;)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back