MH security (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi All
Thought I better post this separately. I think the Moho was tried yesterday morning and it's got me worried now. I'm thinking of a tracker and an interior camera so looking for recommendations on both. The van is stored away from the house in Airport parking which has 24hr security, CCTV and gates so I'm not too worried whilst it's in there (although never say never)
I'll contact my local repairer about a tracker but in the case of a interior camera what should I be looking for? I'm wondering about power and linking it to my phone so would it need to have a sim card and monthly subscription?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Update.
The guy I bought the van from was ex police as was his wife and they both said don't waste your money on a tracker as they are often not monitored despite the claims and police aren't interested. hmm so why waste upwards of £500 for a thatcham approved fancy pants one :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Update.
The guy I bought the van from was ex police as was his wife and they both said don't waste your money on a tracker as they are often not monitored despite the claims and police aren't interested. hmm so why waste upwards of £500 for a thatcham approved fancy pants one :unsure:
We have the Phantom Sentinel set up and everytime we even move the motorhome on the driveway they ring the landline and both mobiles. They are also very, very quick on the phone if the alarm goes off too.

Far cheaper fitted by them than a dealership. As an example Brownhills want £1099 for the Sentinel alarm & Cat 7 tracker with a 1 year subscription.

Phantom themselves charge £848 and will do it on your driveway.

Still, it doesn't stop us having a wheel clamp, steering wheel cover, removable bollard, extra door locks and an OBD cover.

As it's a Ford, Comfort won't insure it without a copy of a tracker installation certificate.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
hogger After researching what was available in MH security, I decided on a Strikeback Growler alarm and a Non Starter from VanBitz. I'm getting it fitted in a few weeks time.
I'm travelling approximately 430 miles (hopefully not more than 7 hours on the road) for fitting. One free night stay on their camp site is offered by VanBitz and accepted by me but more nights for payment is also offered. I had a few phone calls with VanBitz before deciding on them. They were very user friendly and never pushy at selling.
I'm also using this opportunity to visit Somerset, Cornwall and Devon. I will be purchasing locally to support local businesses.

First heard of VanBitz on this forum. As a member of MotorhomeFun you can get a discount with VanBitz if you give them the MotorhomeFun code WHEN YOU BOOK with them. I did :dance2:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We have the Phantom Sentinel set up and everytime we even move the motorhome on the driveway they ring the landline and both mobiles. They are also very, very quick on the phone if the alarm goes off too.

Far cheaper fitted by them than a dealership. As an example Brownhills want £1099 for the Sentinel alarm & Cat 7 tracker with a 1 year subscription.

Phantom themselves charge £848 and will do it on your driveway.

Still, it doesn't stop us having a wheel clamp, steering wheel cover, removable bollard, extra door locks and an OBD cover.

As it's a Ford, Comfort won't insure it without a copy of a tracker installation certificate.
Bit much for us right now and after shelling out 2k on tyres, solar and reverse camera. I'll make sure I have the bulldog clamp on when the vans at home and I have a milenco steering wheel locking bar

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
hogger After researching what was available in MH security, I decided on a Strikeback Growler alarm and a Non Starter from VanBitz. I'm getting it fitted in a few weeks time.
I'm travelling approximately 430 miles (hopefully not more than 7 hours on the road) for fitting. One free night stay on their camp site is offered by VanBitz and accepted by me but more nights for payment is also offered. I had a few phone calls with VanBitz before deciding on them. They were very user friendly and never pushy at selling.
I'm also using this opportunity to visit Somerset, Cornwall and Devon. I will be purchasing locally to support local businesses.

First heard of VanBitz on this forum. As a member of MotorhomeFun you can get a discount with VanBitz if you give them the MotorhomeFun code WHEN YOU BOOK with them. I did :dance2:.
I'll have a look at it and maybe tie it in with a trip (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
I use an old iphone (hidden under a panel and kept charged by the leisure batteries) and ‘Life360’
with a £6pm sim (works with android too I believe)
This tells me the location of the MoHo and also alerts me if if moves from it’s storage
Actually, L360 also tells me when the wife is on her way home from work And where she is at all times
I know not everyone would accept this but we have no secrets so our ‘location’ is broadcast to both our phones.
We also keep an eye on an elderly friend who tends to ‘wander off’ at times

BROKEN LINK

Andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I use an old iphone (hidden under a panel and kept charged by the leisure batteries) and ‘Life360’
This tells me the location of the MoHo and also alerts me if if moves from it’s storage
Actually, L360 also tells me when the wife is on her way home from work And where she is at all times
I know not everyone would accept this but we have no secrets so our ‘location’ is broadcast to both our phones.

BROKEN LINK

Andy
Interesting I've never heard of Life360 but will have a look. How do you connect your phone to the leisure battery?

Upvote 0

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
Another option is outsmart the thief. It may have what you need. Not offering an opinion as its very subjective but worth a look.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
How do you connect your phone to the leisure battery?
I use the standard charging lead and one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B06XSCCLCD
This just connects to any permanent 12v supplied via the leisure battery

It may not be the best way to treat the battery by keeping it constantly on charge but it’s an old iphone so I don’t really care

Andy

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
I also have the Phantom sentinel and really recommend it. If i forget to turn shield off and start the engine phantom control are messaging me before i have let go of the key.
It also monitors battery level and sends alert. I believe control can remotely immobilise. Might be dear but well worth it.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
I'm in Scotland so getting it fitted would be a problem although we are in Devon, Cornwall and Essex in a couple of weeks
I have found in my short experience, that a auto electrician is best and possibly cheaper than dealers. My own thoughts are; prevention is better, therefore a Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm would be my suggestion.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

BROKEN LINK

Andy
i assume it would work with a pay as you go sim aswell ?? it appears to be another layer of protection which cant be a bad thing - so long as it isnt the only layer of protection ...

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use a cheap £45 Winnes GPS tracker HERE They say the battery lasts 3 months but in reality it's only about 2 months but it can be hard wired in with a kit if you want to. I use 1pmobile for the sim which works out at about £2.50 a month. The tracker can be set up to work on shock, overspeed and you can also set up a ring fence, if any of these are triggered it sends a text to my mobile with a google map link so I can see exactly where it is. Of course none of this is any good if the thieving toe rags are able to jam it but it's another line of defence and it keeps me happy.

Upvote 0

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
If you cannot afford top end alarm systems then you can just apply physical security.... good quality steering wheel disclock.... heavy duty pedal clamps..... good quality padlock put through you seat base with the seat swivelled around... large gauge motorcycle chain put through your wheels... all this stuff helps and can be purchased for a few hundred total... another good idea is a hidden battery isolating switch ... or even a hidden fuel switch so you can remotely isolate the fuel supply...

Upvote 0

Yorkie Steve

Free Member
May 18, 2018
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T740
Exp
Since 2018
We had an Outsmart the Thief alarm and tracker fitted (including motion sensors and door sensor) when we bought our Burstner T740 3 years ago. If the alarm is activated they phone you immediately to say they have had an alarm activation and to check if any action is required. The vehicle can be immobilised if necessary once it’s stationary and then cannot be started. It costs £99 per year for the monitoring or less if you pay for 3 years or longer. We have set the alarm off on several occasions by mistake and have had an immediate phone call to our mobile about the activation. We also have their app through which you can put the alarm on or off and also immobilise the vehicle. We’ve been very happy with it so far.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Another vote for Vanbitz Growler and non starter, I'm booked in for the end of the month.

Upvote 0

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Update.

Morning Hogger!
An alternative to a Tracker might be the Vodafone Curve, just needs USB power. I think it is £20 and then £2 pm. If you can hide that somewhere it works really well. Will track you moho for you on the Vodafone smart app.

Cheers

Gerry

Upvote 0

Beatrice

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 1995
Have the Growler also. Have had the Van Bitz alarm on the last 4 vans never had an issue here or abroad. All the windows have the Van Bitz alarm stickers, it’s in a few languages, no doubt they see them and move on to the next.

Upvote 0

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
I travelled from Spain to Vanbitz to have the Growler alarm fitted and have never regretted it as when you return to your van and see a series of blue lights flashing its very reassuring. Had Metatrak and Trafficmaster trackers fitted and hope they never have to be used in the case of Theft of Vehicle and look at the cost of keeping them running, just like Insurance, a necessary evil. However I have used the trackers successfully to track my vehicle to a Garage with the phone apps, after it had been taken on the back of a low loader for repair and the designated Spanish Fiat Garage refused it. Would prefer an official Tracker company to be in contact with the police than rely on me telling them an Old iPhone is heading up the M1 equivalent here in Spain, whilst I am possibly trying to play catch up in a car. Yes it is an additional expenditure but what with Steering wheel Diskloc, a Clutch Claw, Patriot Seat lock, Metatrack engine block, Heosafe locks and Proplates around the door locks, most nights I can sleep reasonably soundly that the huge investment I made when I purchased it, will still be mine because of a few extra quid spent on securing it as best I can.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
:rolleyes: How on earth can you make that comment if you haven't even had it fitted yet...

A huge percentage of our business is returning customers

Have the Growler also. Have had the Van Bitz alarm on the last 4 vans never had an issue here or abroad. All the windows have the Van Bitz alarm stickers, it’s in a few languages, no doubt they see them and move on to the next.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back