Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Following reading elsewhere about roof cleaning..l am aware l have never cleaned CB roof and l worry about the solar not being as efficient due to dirt and just want to clean the roof.

How many clean their mh roofs and how is it via tall ladders? l don't want to stand on it and worry if l do l may fall through.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
My partner goes on the roof of ours with a brush and cleans it off a couple of times a year. Where the van is stored there are house martins so it becomes very necessary at the end of the summer. We eventually got around to reading the MH instruction manual (as you do!) and discovered that the weight limit on the roof is just twelve and a half stone = just as well that he only weight eleven and a half!!!! Worth checking if your MH has a weight limit in the manual.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we bought our first van I already had a set of large stepladders (7 steps plus platform) which were tall enough to enable me to reach the roof. I used to clean it using an extending brush and rinse off the soapy water using a hose.

After starting to use Onedrywash I found I could reach just over half way across the roof by standing on the ladders so just move round doing a section at a time. Doesn't take long and safe so long as you make sure the ladders are stable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I always clean ours by standing on the roof. I use a long handled brush and always stand toward the edge, where it is stronger.

Haven't fallen through yet :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Cleaning the roof is a bit of a job. I do mine using a ladder and pressure washer but thats not a recommendation, it's just that I'm idle.

Solar panels just clean with car shampoo and leave for the rain to rinse.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
15 1/2 stone and haven't damaged our roof yet!:Smile:

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
My partner goes on the roof of ours with a brush and cleans it off a couple of times a year. Where the van is stored there are house martins so it becomes very necessary at the end of the summer. We eventually got around to reading the MH instruction manual (as you do!) and discovered that the weight limit on the roof is just twelve and a half stone = just as well that he only weight eleven and a half!!!! Worth checking if your MH has a weight limit in the manual.

At 20 stone, don't think this lump will go on our roof...even if we do have a ladder fixed to the back ( never used!!)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Roof washing

I use my step ladders and put a cushion inside a black bin liner and tape it onto the part of the ladder that would be in contact with van. Spreads the load. phot was taken fitting my solar panel so water and my cushion was not an issue.:Smile:

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• DSC_3761.jpg
    DSC_3761.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 123

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good excuse to get Dawn to clean the roof - she weighs less than me

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Moodybrook - so do I assume correctly that that photo was taken before Mrs M found out what you were using cushions for or do you never really use black sacks and just said that in case she finds out?

:ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Moodybrook - so do I assume correctly that that photo was taken before Mrs M found out what you were using cushions for or do you never really use black sacks and just said that in case she finds out?

Brilliant, Jenny - you grassed him up good and proper!:thumb:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies

Jeasus, I thought you were supposed to be a friendly lot. just as well I have thick skin, repeat skin. :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use my step ladders and put a cushion inside a black bin liner and tape it onto the part of the ladder that would be in contact with van. Spreads the load. phot was taken fitting my solar panel so water and my cushion was not an issue.:Smile:

Broken Link Removed

Looks a nice job and the correct way to work on a Luton. It's perhaps worth pointing, out in case some do not know, that the over cab area (together with areas around roof lights) is weaker than the rest of the roof so one should not stand on it.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Absorbing all info l like the cushion idea will do that. Lost loads weight but wary of standing on it anyway and no l didnt know about the weakest cab points but l think best for me is avoid standing on the roof.

If chance appears will do it this weekend but if not will update once l have a go :Smile:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Think I should send the other half up as she weighs less...well that's my excuse anyway!

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Clean the roof with extended brush and soapy water, rinse off using a hose. 13.5 stone and roof seems to cope, not sure I do though always terrified getting back onto the ladder.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Like others I use a padded ladder and a long reach brush to access most areas. The back of the van has a fitted ladder which invites one to climb onto the roof, when you get up there, the roof has a non slip surface, inviting one to take the scary step from ladder to roof. Done it once or twice not a regular occurrence!,to spread my weight I use a section of 18mm ply board about 800x800. Seems to be ok and easier than going on a weight loss diet.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Just use a pair of steps and an extending brush myself, but I do it everytime I clean the van, it seems to lessen the black streaks and the van seems to stay cleaner longer.

Generally I only use cold water to clean the van via a hose pipe attached to the brush, with the occasional rinse with Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am constantly up there cleaning the roof. Its stops all the crap running down the sides and keeps the solars working to full efficiency. Apart from that its a good place to hide with a beer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back