Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi all,

We are in sunny Spain, well wet Spain and have been experiencing some problems.

1. As we drove from Valencia to Denia everything was great when the following stopped working, the vehicle is a Eura Mobil based on a 2003 Fiat Ducato

A, heater
B, wipers
C, electric windows
D, radio
E, cigarette lighter
F, external thermometer

When we got to Denia I checked all the fuses and all were showing to be fine, I then stripped the dashboard down and found no loose connections all looked good I did some research and found that this is a known fault, it transpires that fuse 31 in the left hand fuse box for the computer services had failed causing these faults. I changed the fuse and everything started working again.

Yesterday we drove towards Gibraltar when we got to Estapona all the above started to switch off again, I again changed fuse 31 and low and behold everything again worked however when we got to our overnight stop the fridge was going crazy I.e. Lights flashing, a relay in the habitation electrics clicking like mad so I pulled the fuse only to find it very hot and the socket it fits into slightly melted, the fridge seems to work fine on 240v and gas yet not on 12v.

has anyone experienced this?

I should add the fridge was fitted new just before we left 28th October.

Thanks in anticipation

Bob

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If fuse socket is melting either too much current is being drawn or the fuse has a poor loose? connection. Or wire on rear of fuse.
Does the fridge get its 12 volt from this fuse? If so is it overloading the fuse. If not why were fridge electrics iffy when this fuse goes? I,m only thinking aloud but would expect hab and fridge electrics to have their own dedicated feed from starter batt. You dont say what type of fridge. Often modern fridges have a low amp control 12v supply and a high current 12v supply for the element. The high current supply should only be inuse when engine is running via D+ lead. Hope thats been of some help but generic info not particular to your van.

OP
OP
bb wales
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram of the fridge installation, the fridge is a Thetford.

I will look at the feed wiring when I get to my next location.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it sounds like the fridge 12v supply relay has failed, so even when you switch off, the fridge is trying to draw current from the engine battery

fuse 31 failing once is no great issue but to fail again suggests a wiring fault. most likely the heater or wiper motor drawing too much current

i would suggest 2 separate faults

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Poor Chinese they get blamed for everything

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wonder if when the fridge was fitted they wired it wrongly. There should be two 12V feeds. One to power the fridge when the engine running, which is via a relay. And the other, thinner, wire which is on all the time, not just when the engine is running, and is only meant to power the electronics of the fridge. The fitter may have got them mixed up.

OP
OP
bb wales
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all for your help

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If it was me I'd establish 1st does the NEWLY INSTALLED Fridge stop working when fuse 31 blows / or is removed , if so then I'd disconnect it and see , especially if all was fine before hand.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
2" nail usually fixes most low wattage faults 5" if it blows again.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I m afraid you may have to isolate in turn, the items on the problem fuse, this will identify the culprit.

OP
OP
bb wales
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Apparently there is a guy down here who is a whizz on motorhomes so we are going to see him and hopefully sort the problem out, I am more and more convinced that the fault lies with the fridge relay but will wait and see and once I know I will post on here.

OP
OP
bb wales
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, the saga of my electrical fault, when we had the new fridge fitted they put a common earth in and fused out a relay and buggered up the D+ line, when it stops raining I will fix it. D+ is the feed from the alternator the signal tells the relay that it is charging and switches on various circuits the step warning, switches the fridge onto 12V and a couple of other things. Without the signal the computer was going berserk as was the relay and so causing all my problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back