MH pressed into emergency use (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have just pressed the MH into emergency use.

This morning we woke up to water leaking through the ceiling. Turned out to be the water heater in the loft, so had to turn off the stopcock. Leak now stopped but no hot water, so pressed the good old Arto into service for shower this evening.

Filled up water and stuck pump on but the EHU was not charging, It turned out eventually that unknown family members downstairs had moved the cable reel(protected by plastic bag) and thereby disturbed the final connection of the plug inside the bag to the MH socket.

All sorted now, charging, water and blown-air heating working. Not bad to be able to fire up an 18-year old MH on demand when needed.

The MH has previously been utilised as a spare room for us when we have given up our bedroom for guests.

For what I paid for it it is cheaper than a house extension, including en-suite bathroom - and it can be moved to the next house, wherever that may be :giggle:

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My rather large kitchen will be out of bounds for two or three days next week for the application of levelling screed then flooring so I'll move into the m/h in the drive.
The hurricane in 1987 cut the electricity to my side of the village for 3 days but I was snug (and smug) in the m/h.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just reporting bac.

I had my shave and shower in the MH.

All I took with me was a towel, although we have all duplicated, but I dis not want to use a MH towel for one shower. Everything else- shaving soap, razor, brush, deodorant is there. For the sake of about £5 I see no point in transporting stuff from house to MH, as it will all get use and does not deteriorate (unlike its owner)

We keep all bedding, duvet, towels etc. in the MH all year. Those and cushions never seem to get any sign of damp etc.

I do read of other MHomers stripping out their vehicle for winter.

Maybe our insulation is good, also maybe we are further from the sea, although humidity readings can be quite high at times.

Which of you take things listed above out of the MH and which leave them in, and in which type of MH?

Geoff

EDIT : It was useful to have a 'dry run' - sorry wrong expression for testing the water and shower. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
We used the moho shower for a week whilst we were installing a new bathroom. They do come in handy other than for trips away.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Could easilly go away just taking food to the van. Fashion police might be after me, but who cares. Always have a swimming costume and thermals in there, so reckon I shouldm be ok for any eventuality ;) Wouldhave to pack if I was going in the doblo though.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I leave everything in my PVC, mainly because I like to be ready at a moments notice if the urge takes me!!
I do the same, its ready in a moments notice. There have been many a time when we have no items in the house, Tinned peas, Sauces, pliers, broken tin opener, and the MH has "lent" then to us :)
Sometimes when Im doing jobs outside, a sneaky snooze in the van is just too inviting

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For a moment there I thought your motorhome had a loft.....😳

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our motorhome doubles as my man cave and has all the essentials for me to escape the house when I need it

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
We downsized from house to bungalow (which needs fully modernising) last October and initially slept in MH as no heating in bungalow. Have yet not got bathroom sorted so still showering in MH. Hopefully soon will be using it for odd days away and in September looking forward to getting over to France again - if permitted and safe.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We keep ours pretty much ready to go. Bedding, food basics, towels, toiletries, wine, spirits, mixers, digestifs, etc. I suppose it’s a kind of escapism, but it’s just lovely to go and sit in and fettle.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Our motorhome is always ready-to-go and fully stocked with food (including powdered milk), clothes and undies. We consider it to be our earthquake kit so if the house falls down we can move into the van.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had a water main burst a while back so straight in the van, turned the boiler and heating on.
Went back in a bit later when warmed up with towel and all my kit only for Mrs CC to ring me saying water back on🤬

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
My boiler broke down one evening in January, so I plugged in the camper van to the domestic supply and stayed in there till the plumber could fix the issue the following day.

Very handy to have the option, or it would have been a very cold night in the house.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We lived in ours full time after moving to this house five years ago, a bit like dalspa

The house was in such a mess that every room had to be done, rooms reconfigured, walls removed or moved, every wall and ceiling had to be replastered and a new kitchen and bathroom provided. We moved in, spent one night in the house, then moved into the motorhome for six weeks until the bathroom, kitchen and one bedroom were done.

Over the following two months we lived in the m/h during the day to allow the workmen to get on with the rebuild, moving into the house each evening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back