MH out for the first time. (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thinking of taking our 'new to us' MH out for the first time in the next couple of weeks, never done it before so start of a new adventure. Question is there any sites to assist newcomers to the scene in Yorkshire / North Linconshire ? ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you are a member of a club, i'd ring the site warden of one that takes your fancy and ask if they may be able to provide assistance. Once there, I'd expect there to be a few members only too pleased to show you the ropes (if you have any).

Welcome, by the way. Just ask again if any more questions pop-up!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neardonny
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are a member of a club, i'd ring the site warden of one that takes your fancy and ask if they may be able to provide assistance. Once there, I'd expect there to be a few members only too pleased to show you the ropes (if you have any).

Many thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neardonny
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie

Thanks for the advice, we are not members of any club at the moment. Is there a section on here about that ?

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Personal choice, but I've always been happy with the Camping and Caravan Club who have a good nationwide network of sites and Certified Sites for less "formal" overnighting. Their sites are invariably of a good standard and, despite what you may read on this forum, I believe to be better value than more commercially run sites. As a solo traveller "of a certain age", I find their age discount very handy. The site managers have always been very helpful and friendly (to me anyway!), especially useful when you may have a problem. I'm sure other "Funsters" will have their own views about this and other clubs, but I did say it was my personal view.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Regarding clubs, the main two are Caravan and Motorhome Club and Camping & Caravan Club. Both are similar but I prefer the CC&C. I'd find their web sites and see if which one has most sites of interest to you before joining (one). You should recoup the joining fee after a few nights at their sites.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Site wardens are usually helpful and I found if I just looked a bit helpless and asked for help, it was always offered ( I’m thinking of first time a fuse blew and the time I locked myself out!)
Also, if you notice someone who is always adjusting, altering things on their Moho ( generally faffing around) say hello, admire their motorhome and then you can always drop into the conversation that you’re new to this. I bet you get plenty of advice!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Excellent advice above.
At least at home on your first night you can nip indoors and get anything you forgot to load.
Nothing worse than being on a site miles away and finding you forgot your phone charger etc or even worse.... A corkscrew.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Our first trip was November and we went to the Morris site at Betws-y-coed, I asked for a full service pitch as it was my first time. The lady suggested just get the hardstanding as I would need to practice getting used to the van -filling and emptying at service point etc, when we arrived she remembered our phone call, told me parking protocol and any problems come and get her and she would help us out. Within 5 mins of parking up I was speaking to our neighbours either side who were more than helpful. Been away 5 times now and can say I’ve never been parked next to anyone I wouldn’t hesitate to ask advice as everyone has been friendly and I am finding this is a community who will always stop and have a chat and share experience and recommend other good sites to go to. Enjoy your travels ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neardonny
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Excellent advice above.
At least at home on your first night you can nip indoors and get anything you forgot to load.
Nothing worse than being on a site miles away and finding you forgot your phone charger etc or even worse.... A corkscrew.
The corkscrew was one of the first things to be added ?(y)

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the advice re spending a night on your own drive or within a short walk is invaluable, if you can, spend a whole day in it not just the night time and dont go back into the house for anything. its too easy to find you dont have something and pop back in, but if you make a strong decision not to go and get what you think you need, you might find out you dont need it, but just wanted it and there is a big difference !

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Don’t know where you got your van from, but if you got it from a dealer sometimes they have a site where noobs can pitch up, usually on first night but not necessarily!
Are you north side or south side of donny?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neardonny
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don’t know where you got your van from, but if you got it from a dealer sometimes they have a site where noobs can pitch up, usually on first night but not necessarily!
Are you north side or south side of donny?
Thanks. We are on the A638 between Doncaster and Wakefield.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks. We are on the A638 between Doncaster and Wakefield.
Ah yes, used to use that road to work many years ago (Frickley colliery) We are South side, anyhow happy travels in the future?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back