MH hire, optional CDW insurance (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
Hi, we will be shortly hiring a MH for the first time. The hirer has offered an additional cost (£25 per day) CDW insurance that would limit our excess to £250 rather than £1000 in the event of our damaging the van. Can anyone offer an advice or experience please as to whether or not this a price worth paying, or are there better ways of minimising the financial risk if we have an accident?

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
CDW insurance is probably worthwhile but not from the renter, try Moneymaxim. Much cheaper for the same cover, well they are for car hire anyway as I've never used it for MH hire but definately worth investigating.

Edit : let us know how you go on, it may be useful for others

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For £750 I would take the risk, interesting you have been offered it as its is not normally avalible on Motorhome hire. I think you will find the I dependant insurers that offer it do so only for cars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SpitzTM
Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
CDW insurance is probably worthwhile but not from the renter, try Moneymaxim. Much cheaper for the same cover, well they are for car hire anyway as I've never used it for MH hire but definately worth investigating.

Edit : let us know how you go on, it may be useful for others
Thank you for this. Moneymaxim do indeed include MH hire in their policy terms (or rather provide insurance companies who do in their filter results) and at a reasonable cost, certainly when compared to what the hire company are offering. I’m going to do a little more research before making a final decision, but will update here either way.

OP
OP
SpitzTM
Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
For £750 I would take the risk, interesting you have been offered it as its is not normally avalible on Motorhome hire. I think you will find the I dependant insurers that offer it do so only for cars.
Thanks. Food for thought.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The likelihood of scratching or denting a larger vehicle is quite high, if you're not used to driving it.
Add in the possibility of trying to manoeuvre it in compact & unfamiliar spaces
Mix in the possibility of damage by strangers
versus the estimated cost of repair to even a small panel.

I'd say CDW is worth the peace of mind.

Especially if you can source it from a reliable third party
[Like GAP insurance, always cheaper to buy elsewhere rather than the supplying dealer]

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Car hire companies always try to sell CDW. Abroad you can pay nearly as much as your original hire cost. I have an annual CDW (or policy excess) policy that only costs £30/40 a year no matter how many times you hire!

Not sure if they all cover motorhomes but there are loads of companies out there like https://www.reducemyexcess.co.uk/

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I use insurance4carhire and insurance4carhire. Not sure if they do motorhome but they used to offer some less usual cover. Do annual and short term.

OP
OP
SpitzTM
Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
Ok, quick update, annual MH policy purchased from icarhireinsurance (effectively 2 trips at max £1000 excess cover each) at a much reduced cost than offered by the hire company.

Hoping not to have to update again with how good (or bad) their claims dept turned out to be!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Having maintained and repaired a fleet of hire vans, the amount of both minor and major dents and scapes they accrued was pretty horrific. If you are not used to the size well worth covering yourself against extra costs. One of the problems is that if parts are required for keeping the hire van on the road are not available you could be liable for any losses if the hire van is off the road awaiting parts. Extreme where I worked did not do this but i have heard fo others that do. Read the small print. One of the most common accidents resulted in if the van was parked close to a wall or parked car when turning to pullout as the front goes out the back will go in especially if there is a long overhang past the rear axle. Also look out for the posts that have the parking signs on them although back a bit from the curb they can still catch the back end and the thin plate catches the corner seam and opens it up.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
OP I would read the hirers CDW policy very carefully. A friend of mine hired a van, he took the CDW and was chuffed that he did. Unfortunately when he got charged for mirror damage he checked the CDW policy and the mirrors were not covered. I then read the policy for him, it excluded most things on a MH that would be likely damaged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back