MH flooring - an alternative to carpet? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Got them on fitted in our garage all over, easy to fit, very comfortable under foot and nice and warm in the winter - easy to pull up too if ever there's a need to (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had a set of four, larger, interlocking tiles that we used in the awning with our previous van and they are certainly comfortable under foot.

I wonder, though, whether weight might be a problem if the motorhome floor were covered in them. Also, I would be concerned that liquid spillages might seep through the joins and cause problems if not noticed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good product but wouldn't fancy it on the living area of a van.. same concerns as Graham.. it also looks industrial.. ideal for a workshop or motorhome garage..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thought they looked a bit industrial for inside the MH instead of carpet

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have considered either interlocking 'planking', or carpet tiles. Our 'fixed' carpet, (that someone has laid using tacks), is a mess, and we need to replace it this winter. Another option, made to fit carpet removable sections, with whipped edges, costs a fortune. :(

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have considered either interlocking 'planking', or carpet tiles. Our 'fixed' carpet, (that someone has laid using tacks), is a mess, and we need to replace it this winter. Another option, made to fit carpet removable sections, with whipped edges, costs a fortune. :(
Ebay sells long lengths of those rubber backed 'dirt grabber' type carpets which can be cut to size. Being rubber backed they should not fray so no whipping required.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We put something similar in our van and are delighted with them. They are gym type interlocking mats, very light weight, smooth warm surface and easy to clean. Much superior to carpeting. Have a look on eBay for Interlocking Mats - there's lots of choice.

We also use a more "industrial" type for the ground outside the van door on site. They have holes so that grit and water go through.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes they 'look' industrial, but you could put them upside down so you'd have the smooth side facing upwards, you could even cover them with some rugs etc. They would still be much comfier and warmer than just the bare vinyl flooring - it would also add an insulation layer to the floor which would help in colder weather! There are, however, lot of different colours from other makers, but obviously they are more expensive.

We have dirt grabber flooring (the proper stuff which is cotton twill not the manmade poly ones which are useless). I got some large industrial sized mats (the type you get at entrance doors to shops etc) which I easily cut to size to fit the floor of our van, any spillages don't go through and they can be taken out in a jiffy to be shaken, brushed, washed ... in the washing machine if you don't make the sections too big! I've currently got a bright shade of green in my van (see below) but got a nice very large brown one from a car boot sale a month ago for the princely sum of £8 so that'll be going in at some point instead as the green one is just starting to get a bit flat at the doorway area - it has worn very well bearing in mind that the flooring has been used in 3 MHs now so time for a new bit!

When we converted an ambulance I covered the floor in some self-adhesive carpet floor tiles and it looked great, never budged, easy to clean, so if you want a 'permanent' carpet this could be an option too, or just normal carpet tiles (ie not stuck down) as these come in a lot of different designs and can be bought very cheaply, easy to fit again, don't need edging and can easily be removed to clean and/or replace odd ones as required.

I'm not a fan of 'normal' removable carpet in a MH as the 'whipped' edges can damage/scratch the cabinets etc when you take it out/put it in; it allows liquids to go through to the underneath to be 'hidden' and never fits tight enough to prevent crumbs etc getting down the sides and 'festering'.

I'll stick with my dirt grabber flooring but might consider putting some of the 'tiles' underneath it to add some more 'comfort' (a bit like carpet underlay) and also a bit of extra insulation.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We used the smooth gym type interlocking mats in our motorhome when we had a big shaggy dog who dropped hair everywhere. They were warm, easy to clean and the dog hair just brushed off. I fitted them and it wasn't difficult at all. Recently, since the demise of aforementioned dog, we went to our local carpet shop with our old carpet and they cut us a new piece and had it whipped round the edges for us. It cost £100 in total and it looks great.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Wildman
Did you learn your "Skill" with "Big Needles" at an approved or HMP workshop ? Perhaps you could put me right,was it 8 or 9 stitches to the inch ?
Guess that skill is lost to another generation of Scallies,the Post Office about to go belly up,area cleaning could be back on the books.
Tea Bag (You CANNOT put me in there........Ooooops mind my fingers !!)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Our Savannah has a vinyl floor underneath the carpet so we have taken out the carpet to preserve it for when we sell and use the vino food which is great and so easy just to sweep out and mop up any spillages. Get some kitchen floor off cut and a stanley knife and you can have a fitted new floor in no time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back