Mh Construction quality (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I have a Hymer C class and we would like an A class with drop down bed and no fixed bed, thereby giving us more habitation space.

But after seeing the build quality and construction of our Hymer which is PuAl, and last damp check had highest reading of 10. I was wondering which other manufacturer uses similar build for their MH.

My experience of British MH are, my brother owned a leaky Lunar from new and my neighbour has an Autotrail from new (less than 2 years) and its been back twice for damp.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have had six motor homes now, all British.

Water problems on one of them, pretty bad. The rest have been good.

Our present British m/h has ten year warranty against water ingress. It does require an annual damp check to preserve the warranty but I would have that done anyway.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
N & B use the PUAL system, Carthago are similar Burstner now use timber free but I tend to think they spend the money glitz I don't think they are as solid as N&B, Carthago & Hymer.
I would never risk my hard earned cash on a British built van too much of a risk, build quilty is way inferior to the Germans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
N & B use the PUAL system, Carthago are similar Burstner now use timber free but I tend to think they spend the money glitz I don't think they are as solid as N&B, Carthago & Hymer.
I would never risk my hard earned cash on a British built van too much of a risk, build quilty is way inferior to the Germans.
Not sure that N+B would say theirs was PUAL as the blue foam in N+B will be styrofoam with aluminium either side, Hymer PUAL is Polyeurathene foam and alloy on the outer skin and ply inner skin (other than your DL) and certainly older Hymers have wood around some of the opening but not sure about now.

Martin

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
ymer
Not sure that N+B would say theirs was PUAL as the blue foam in N+B will be styrafoam with aluminium either side, Hymer PUAL is Polyeurathene foam and alloy on the outer skin and ply inner skin (other than your DL) and certainly older Hymers have wood around some of the opening but not sure about now.

Martin
I have seen N & B decribe their construction a PUAL, Styraofoam is only a brand of closed-pore PU foam, basicly the same as Hymer use. The new Exsis have auluminiun interior walls and the same front end as the DL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
ymer
I have seen N & B decribe their construction a PUAL, Styraofoam is only a brand of closed-pore PU foam, basicly the same as Hymer use. The new Exsis have auluminiun interior walls and the same front end as the DL.
Hi Lenny

I dont know Hymer as well as you do(y) But, PU is not the same as Styrofoam, and certainly for over 30 years N+B have been using double sided aluminium.

Quoted from Wikipedia.

Styrofoam is a trademarked brand of closed-cell extruded polystyrene foamcurrently made for thermal insulation and craft applications. It is owned and manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company

Quoted from Niesmann+Bischoff web site.

INSULATION & COATING
DOUBLE-SIDED ALUMINIUM. A GOOD IDEA, WHICH WE HAVE MADE BETTER.
Whether it’s a summer or a winter holiday, you can always get caught cold by the weather. Or caught in a sweat. We have ensured that the temperature always feels just right on your holiday. We have been making panels from double-sided aluminium for more than 30 years and have been improving the material since the beginning. The structure is simple – aluminium on the outside, styrofoam on the inside. In this composition, the panels are virtually non-conductive – heat and cold have to stay outside. And to ensure an insulation all around, we don’t just use this material in the rear and side panels, but also in the double floor and in the exterior storage doors.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back