MH Commercial use - Lessons learnt (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I posted a previous thread about using a MH for commercial use. Last weekend we hired a Chausson six birth. I don't remember the model but a 18 plate Ford unit, overcab double bed, combined WC, Shower and rear bunk beds across the back.

The van itself was good, clean and drove very well, even down some twisty roads through the centre of Wales. Whilst it wasn't a disaster we found a lot of negatives and lessons learnt.

Water. Yep drive with a full tank. We picked than van up and was told there was "plenty" of water. However, when we arrived at the event, we discovered that there was limited water in the tank. The event did have a water supply but it was now surrounded by other exhibitors and we could have driven the MH it would have been a nightmare reverse. Instead we did numerous journey in the 4x4 we had filling bottles up.

Toilet Cassette: A Thetford cassette for 4 adults requires more than a daily empty. How six adults would cope ? Then of course where to empty it. On a rural country estate no facilities to empty it apart from the Portaloo's which the owner wasn't pleased about because of the chemicals interacting. So going to need a larger tank

Levelling: Even though we parked on a very level part of the site, it is surprising the difference the slightest tilt makes to cupboards and shower trays. Putting a chunky munkey on top of the cab to sleep at night meant that every time they turned over the MH rocked like someone was getting very intimate. Of course being a hire vehicle there was nothing to easily level the vehicle.

Space: Now that was a real surprise - just how difficult it is to accommodate 4 adults (let alone 6) during the day. Standing and passing room was so limited. If my wife was in the kitchen area and someone wanted to get passed, she had to step into the shower. This was with 4 of us and the dog, not 6 and the dog which would have been a nightmare. Getting from the cab to the inside certainly wasn't the easiest with a narrow gap in the bulkhead.

Beds This was the real surprise. They looked comfortable enough but even after a hard day at the event boy, were they uncomfortable. The only one who slept well was the dog on his new bed.

Water pump It may be just the model we had, but I have installed many water pumps in my time but never came across one as noisy as this! Wash you hand in the toilet at night and everyone will know.

Common Sense The model we had a blue bug zapper as part of one of the light fittings. A great idea, looks good and works well - too well but why fit it directly above the table where you have food ! Something to look out for going forward.

Leisure battery Surprising with just the water pump, lights and a few hours TV. How quick the leisure battery runs down without a mains connection. Maybe it was because it was 3 years old but frustrating having to run the engine to top it up each day.

Garage space Interestingly not as big an issue as we had imagined. We managed to get our trade stand and equipment in the garage and most of the products on the lower bunk bed. The remainder went in the back of the 4x4 which could go into the MH with a little more thought. Although we did pass a MH on the motorway towing a large box trailer

Windows Interesting issue we discovered when parked behind our exhibition stand that the public kept on walking between the MH and car and had to keep ducking or swerving around the open windows. We had to put barrier tape between the MH and car just in case someone caught their head or eye on the open windows.

Profile An odd thing but the journey back through mid Wales and then along the M4 highlighted the problems with the large over cab bump with trees and high winds. Plus I have been told that the A-class style is the one the we are having now.

Well worth the investment in hiring a vehicle for a long weekend as it not only showed the pitfalls but also a lot of the benefits. So it looks like it is going to be an long term proposition. However, it seems that me and the dog will be sleeping outside in a tent inside the awning - for security. Nothing at all to do with the mess we make or that we get in the way!
Others have mention American 🇺🇸 Units

how about a 5th wheeler for 10 https://empirerv.co.uk/vehicle/coachmen-chaparral-373mbrb-3/

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
On a trip to New Zealand we hired a Maui 6 birth for 4 adults, luckily (sic) 2 dropped out leaving just Dee and myself, even then there was little room in the van, because we had suitcases they had to be stirred in the over cab bed, the only fixed bed and we had similar problem to OP in that if Dee was using the Kitchen I could get past her without having to detour through the shower. The designers of these vans just don’t ever use them!
I think the OP should look at the sports style vans by convertor s like RS use design them to carry lots of stuff and people. Maybe a 2nd hand pusher from a racing team?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
On a trip to New Zealand we hired a Maui 6 birth for 4 adults, luckily (sic) 2 dropped out leaving just Dee and myself, even then there was little room in the van, because we had suitcases they had to be stirred in the over cab bed, the only fixed bed and we had similar problem to OP in that if Dee was using the Kitchen I could get past her without having to detour through the shower. The designers of these vans just don’t ever use them!
I think the OP should look at the sports style vans by convertor s like RS use design them to carry lots of stuff and people. Maybe a 2nd hand pusher from a racing team?
I was wondering about RS racehome.
I would have liked a pusher but wasn't prepared to sacrifice garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Something like this maybe?
<Broken link removed>

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I’ve not seen many places where it’s possible to pump out a black tank. We carry a spare cassette so at least we can swap them over if we’ve not been able to empty for a few days.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I had the Chausson Flash 05 and sounds like the one you are describing, sure decent garage space and the bunks that fold at the back. If one of us turned over on the O'cab bed, the van alomst rocked you back to sleep :talking: .
Water pump, yeah, we had 2 adults and 3 smallishh kids, someone always want the loo at night.
Only after having it 3 months did i realise about payload. No wonder we used to zip zag to our destinations. The was sold quite quick

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve not seen many places where it’s possible to pump out a black tank.

RV black tanks are fairly large so don't need emptying as often as a cassette so will contain ample for the OP's time away at events.
Most houses have an accessible sewer manhole cover, just lift and dump the black tank contents. We do this if we have been unable to empty our cassette before arriving home from a trip.

OP
OP
sospan

sospan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
south Wales
Funster No
MH
One for business use
Much like the more active Motor Home owners, we won't spend much time in ours. It is mainly for food, showers, toilets and sleeping. The evenings are the most difficult. Literally been on our feet from 8 am to 6 pm with rarely a chance to sit down. We come back and crash, have food, shower, then emails, checking website, fix things that broke during the day and start preparing products,, paperwork for the next morning. Then bed!

Hence the need for space with food being prepared or dishes being done, at least one of us falling asleep, one in the shower or changing and something else going on. it is a bit of juggle. Obviously, we can use an awning or the trade stands for more space but a lot depends on the weather

The other thing is that we have to be self sufficient for the 4 days, food, water, toilet, electric - many exhibition sites won't allow generators or BBQ's

Previously, it was sleeping in tents or the tradestands using American sized cooler boxes for food. The lack of facilities at one site, meant a line was drawn and no more roughing it. So having had a taste of their own toilets and showers recently the bar has been set higher now.

Looking at MH's like the Concorde mentioned above they fit the bill - the only issue is practicality in terms of seat fabric, we will probably need so much plastic covering !

OP
OP
sospan

sospan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
south Wales
Funster No
MH
One for business use
I had the Chausson Flash 05 and sounds like the one you are describing, sure decent garage space and the bunks that fold at the back. If one of us turned over on the O'cab bed, the van alomst rocked you back to sleep :talking: .
Water pump, yeah, we had 2 adults and 3 smallishh kids, someone always want the loo at night.
Only after having it 3 months did i realise about payload. No wonder we used to zip zag to our destinations. The was sold quite quick
So not just us then :giggle:

I did make me wonder why this time of year the hire company had 20 parked up of the same type when all other rental places were fully booked!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I’ve not seen many places where it’s possible to pump out a black tank. We carry a spare cassette so at least we can swap them over if we’ve not been able to empty for a few days.
We’ve got black and grey waste tanks and have never found an issue disposing of waste. You don’t necessarily need drive over wastes. We have a hose which attaches attach to the waste outlet. You then empty black then grey waste.

OP
OP
sospan

sospan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
south Wales
Funster No
MH
One for business use
We’ve got black and grey waste tanks and have never found an issue disposing of waste. You don’t necessarily need drive over wastes. We have a hose which attaches attach to the waste outlet. You then empty black then grey waste.
That seems a great solution for us. Last weekend, mid way through the event, I had the distress call that the cassette was full and the toilet could not be used! Not that I am adverse to doing things like that but discreetly pulling a toilet cassette passed your customers doesn't create the right image. Similarly, with the grey water, the discharge with the Chausson was a pull handle which dumped the fluid underneath the van, not the best when you are already on soggy ground.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That seems a great solution for us. Last weekend, mid way through the event, I had the distress call that the cassette was full and the toilet could not be used! Not that I am adverse to doing things like that but discreetly pulling a toilet cassette passed your customers doesn't create the right image. Similarly, with the grey water, the discharge with the Chausson was a pull handle which dumped the fluid underneath the van, not the best when you are already on soggy ground.
Sounds like you definitely need decent sized tanks and then no worries all weekend, after that most places with a toilet will have at least a manhole that could be lifted to dump.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Agree on the RS… got loads of space and payload with mine, which is the reason we have it…
2F701F16-CA29-4856-A405-03C021343D55.jpeg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Other thought is re beds - in a hire van you have no idea of course who's been sleeping in em before you. Just Goldilocks, or all 3 bears too? (and doing what, exactly ....) So don't think all Moho beds will all be equally uncomfy. To be fair, we're probably spoiled because we've had 2 both from new, but with my first husband, we had a S/H trailer tent followed by a S/H caravan and slept perfectly OK in both of them whether for a weekend or a week.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Plenty on here not struggling, sometimes you have to ask though.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If your worried about level then you need jacks, this pitch at Brighton has a little slope but all sorted with our jacks and some packing. ::bigsmile:
Also handy for changing tyres.
Brighton pitch.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Our old Hymer had waste tanks and it was never a real issue to empty into a manhole. Once we used the place where the coaches empty at a motorway service station (small charge I think) so perhaps coach companies would have facilities?

We put a bucket under the grey water and empty it when it gets full (after showers and also once more during the day).

We also carry a universal adapter for our fresh water tank (but without the rose):

1633185244227.png

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
We sleep better in our motorhome than we do at home. But it does sound that your hired motorhome was not the tool for your job.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We had the CI Carioca 746 on a heavy chassis which has now been dropped for the Roller team 746. an OK motorhome for 2 + 2 kids and a dog but driving in the wind as i mentioned before was horrendous. Driving over the Seine across this...... in a cross wind was the final straw.
it was gone within weeks of getting home.....

View attachment 543412
That bridge is giving me heart palpitations!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
That bridge is giving me heart palpitations!
You should try driving over it in a cross wind.
We were travelling along being buffeted by a strong wind then we came around the bend in the motorway and there it was... No chance to stop, turn back or go around. 😲😨😰🤮
I swore I will never drive over it again in a motorhome.
🤔

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
And....
There is another straight after it not as steep but longer.. 😰😰

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We hired four different vans before we bought one.

After 4 vans and about 10 weeks of use we had a long list of 'must haves' and 'must nots'
What we eventually bought I think was as close as perfect as we could get within the budget.
(There will always be compromises however)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We did something similar.
Hired lot's over the years but never thinking we would buy one.
We bought one with the soul purpose of evaluating what we wanted and what we deffo did not want. We kept it for one year only.
Found the van closest to what we were wanting and bought new.......................then the troubles started.
Agree with you, there will always be a compromise. How big/minor that compromise might be is down to the individual/couple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back