MH Cleaning 101: spray on polish/hydrophobic cleaner (1 Viewer)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
So far I've just water washed & rinsed dirt off the motorhome.
That is now an obviously too poor an effort as the habitat area bodywork area soon goes algea green.

I used to spend several hours properly washing previous cars like my MX5 & Impreza so have a snow foam lance & pressure washer available.

A friend uses Autosmart Aquaseal Pro Wax Sealant Spray on his car.
But no mention of that on a motorhome forum. (I still need to search for hydrophobic cleaner :doh: & not just Aquaseal)
Have I just brought an interesting "chemical" idea to you or one that should be dismissed ASAP? :LOL:

I've an unused bottle of traditional motorhome shampoo - that should be my interim wash plan. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There's a detailing section on here somewhere which is full of threads about such stuff. It did get a bit heated at times with very strong views expressed. I must confess to trying snow foam and pressure washer but I've stopped as it simply didn't remove all the dirt. I guess if your MH is regularly polished and waxed to within an inch of its life snow foam may work but after a long trip through Europe I found a brush/sponge and elbow grease was the only method which worked. :)

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
A polite "Use the search and you'll find loads of ..."? :ROFLMAO:

I'll ping my mate who uses the Autosmart Aquaseal with cars about how it is applied. If it's "spray and hope" then I'll stick with bucket based hand wash products = esp. as I have an unused MH specific version of one of those next to some already open car ones 🤔

I've used pre-wash snow foams and they were less than spectacular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's a detailing section on here somewhere which is full of threads about such stuff. It did get a bit heated at times with very strong views expressed. I must confess to trying snow foam and pressure washer but I've stopped as it simply didn't remove all the dirt. I guess if your MH is regularly polished and waxed to within an inch of its life snow foam may work but after a long trip through Europe I found a brush/sponge and elbow grease was the only method which worked. :)
I use snow foam - on with pressure washer then go over whole vehicle with a brush then rinse. It works as well as anything else I've tried but still have some streaking that needs neat snow foam & a sponge. I've never actually polished anything in my life. I'll let a valet service do the mh when I come to sell it. Life's too short for polishing.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It’s spring clean time for mine . I was thinking of paying a mobile external valeter but not sure as some use pressure wash which I want to avoid.
So I’ll do it myself and wondered how good is the ceramic spray polish to finish with following wash.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I bought some of this. But haven't had chance to test it yet.

It is a combined wax and ceramic treatment. I couldn't warrant spending the full amount on a full ceramic treatment but this gets good reviews. I think with the SiO2 nano particles filling the surface features of the paint it will make it harder for the moss/algae to bond to the paintwork. It will probably still grow but find it harder to cling making it easier to wash off.

As soon as we get some good weather and I have time I will test and report. Probably a month or so away.

My van is permanently parked under a tree so gets green very very quickly.

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I had the step ladder out and had a go at washing the roof.
Results are poor.
At 2.8 - 3m the thing is too high to see how I can start applying better cleaning products even before I start thinking about applying products to maintain & protect.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had the step ladder out and had a go at washing the roof.
Results are poor.
At 2.8 - 3m the thing is too high to see how I can start applying better cleaning products even before I start thinking about applying products to maintain & protect.

I use a normal extending ladder against the side of the motorhome and put old socks or gloves over the ends for protection. I then use a telescopic wash brush with Mother’s wash wax and hose off.
I always put blocks of a small sack of sand at the foot of the ladder to prevent slip.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
So far I've just water washed & rinsed dirt off the motorhome.
That is now an obviously too poor an effort as the habitat area bodywork area soon goes algea green.

I used to spend several hours properly washing previous cars like my MX5 & Impreza so have a snow foam lance & pressure washer available.

A friend uses Autosmart Aquaseal Pro Wax Sealant Spray on his car.
But no mention of that on a motorhome forum. (I still need to search for hydrophobic cleaner :doh: & not just Aquaseal)
Have I just brought an interesting "chemical" idea to you or one that should be dismissed ASAP? :LOL:

I've an unused bottle of traditional motorhome shampoo - that should be my interim wash plan. :(
You need to be careful with a pressure washer, as it can damage the seals between panels (joints) and also the like of roof lights. Snow foam to let it soak and loosen the dirt and then soapy water. even use a hose with a brush on the end so it’s kep wet a low pressure, works great on the roof.

I would then use one of those Wax and Dry sprays every time rinsed. I put a decent polish on my wife’s car three years ago, and use that every time it’s washed, usually monthly, and water still beads off as though freshly waxed, and you can feel it’s still waxed.

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I use a normal extending ladder against the side of the motorhome and put old socks or gloves over the ends for protection. I then use a telescopic wash brush with Mother’s wash wax and hose off.
I always put blocks of a small sack of sand at the foot of the ladder to prevent slip.
Handy stuff.
I could swap out the step ladder for the extending ladder.
From amazon I am using a long brush. This one.

Maybe fitting the squeegy head instead of the brush can be used to apply the chemicals. I do have some shampoo choices.

My problem is - as I've only ever been rinsing off dirt in the 18 month of ownership there's no resistance to the green algae - extra effort is needed.
I'd better apply what I've learnt above & put that effort in.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Handy stuff.
I could swap out the step ladder for the extending ladder.
From amazon I am using a long brush. This one.

Maybe fitting the squeegy head instead of the brush can be used to apply the chemicals. I do have some shampoo choices.

My problem is - as I've only ever been rinsing off dirt in the 18 month of ownership there's no resistance to the green algae - extra effort is needed.
I'd better apply what I've learnt above & put that effort in.
Yes I have a similar brush but I dont get an accumulation of algae, probably as my drive slopes a bit so a good water run off the roof of the mhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back