LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having had a break of over 20 years from the hobby I recently took it up again. I find it fits in with motorhome touring very well. Any other treasure seekers on here.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Having had a break of over 20 years from the hobby I recently took it up again. I find it fits in with motorhome touring very well. Any other treasure seekers on here.
No but you can have a good game on southend pier when the tide is out. All you need is a handful of nails. ;)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Yes"............... Going to have a poke around the Tumulus we have in our small field when I get time.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No but you can have a good game on southend pier when the tide is out. All you need is a handful of nails. ;)
That Buttons is extremely cruel
You should be thoroughly proud of yourself for thinking up something so funny though

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
"Yes"............... Going to have a poke around the Tumulus we have in our small field when I get time.. :RollEyes:
The UK has had to covert all Gas and Watermains to plastic
In an attempt to stop Mo digging up half the country:doh:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The UK has had to covert all Gas and Watermains to plastic
In an attempt to stop Mo digging up half the country:doh:
Most of the holes Mo's been digging recently have been in a straight line about three metres apart, known as 'post holes' in the fencing trade. :rofl:
Sorry @old-mo :imoutahere:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Old Mo........... Hey I think I've found silver!!!

Snowbird......... Looks like a Horse Brass to me
Old Mo............ Yes but look... it's signed by the Lone Ranger :doh:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have it on good authority that a funster found one of the most valuable coins ever found with a metal detector. Valued at many hundreds of thousands of pounds. Some of the machines used today are very sophisticated pieces of equipment capable of discriminating just about every metal or item.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I have it on good authority that a funster found one of the most valuable coins ever found with a metal detector. Valued at many hundreds of thousands of pounds. Some of the machines used today are very sophisticated pieces of equipment capable of discriminating just about every metal or item.

That's interesting, I have long been intrigued with the idea. How much does one of these things cost - a decent one?

Keith :cool:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I would like to try out this hobby as my Brother in law who lives in Berkshire has taken this hobby up and has shown me some of his finds which include loads of different sizes of musket ball and many roman coins and other very old coinage which is yet to be identified ,all very interesting.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That's interesting, I have long been intrigued with the idea. How much does one of these things cost - a decent one?

Keith :cool:
I am using a Fisher F22 at the moment and find it a good all round machine that is waterproof. Its light and can be used for long periods without the operator becoming tired. You should be able to pick a half decent machine up for between £200 and £300.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My grandson is desperate to try metal detecting. He's only 7 so does anyone know if you can get child size versions?
Always see a couple of people metal detecting on the local beaches.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My grandson is desperate to try metal detecting. He's only 7 so does anyone know if you can get child size versions?
Always see a couple of people metal detecting on the local beaches.

The Fisher F22 I use is light enough to use. Dont be tempted to get your grandchild a childs detector. they will lose interest immediately. My grandson is just getting into the hobby and is researching just about everything he finds. A great hobby for getting kids out and about and interested in history. It also teaches them research skills, both in finding good places to detect and identifying finds.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The Fisher F22 I use is light enough to use. Dont be tempted to get your grandchild a childs detector. they will lose interest immediately. My grandson is just getting into the hobby and is researching just about everything he finds. A great hobby for getting kids out and about and interested in history. It also teaches them research skills, both in finding good places to detect and identifying finds.

Thanks for the info. I'm quite keen to try it myself so would prefer to get an adult size one.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years

Ed-E

Free Member
Apr 2, 2016
Wigan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Two Weeks :)
I am based in Atherton and would like to combine the Camper with Metal Detecting . I have a Minelab Quattro but have not used it much tbh, seems hard to get landowners permission. Beaches are a different set of rules, i understand.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had one for a short while in my teens - all I ever found was fag packet wrapping and rusty old jar lids. I gave it up as a bad job and got into archaeology, then I started finding really interesting stuff like flint tools, skeletons, painted Roman wall plaster, a 400 year old potty and so on. I used a detector to pre-scan an archaeological trench a few weeks ago but it was a bit frustrating, and the trowel revealed far more.

On the subject of archaeology, if you go tearing stuff out of a known archaeological site, and/or a listed feature (like a tumulus) you're destroying archaeological evidence that can never be replaced, especially if coins are taken out of a context where they might help date the layers in the site. Finding a hoard in the middle of a field (like all detectorists do, of course) is a bit different in that its burial was probably a one-off event in an isolated spot, so hoiking it out of the ground is less damaging. However, even picking up musket balls or arrowheads from a known battlefield is preventing others from finding out about the course of the battle, as spreads of such evidence can show where the heaviest fighting was. Ideas about the Battle of Bosworth Field have already changed as a result of such studies.

Only my opinion (shared by many others I might add), but detectors are best confined to areas where the ground is routinely disturbed, like beaches, river banks etc. If you truly respect our history why not offer to scan the spoil tip on an archaeological dig to see what the diggers have missed (plenty, I can guarantee), or offer to become part of any fieldwalking they're doing?

Please don't just head out for the nearest burial mound with your bleeping gizmo in the hope of bagging yourself a nice Bronze Age socketed axe head for the mantlepiece.

[Sits back, dons tin helmet, and awaits a hail of old musketballs and rusty medieval arrowheads.]

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree with @magicsrfbus. Responsible metal detecting is akin to responsible motorhoming. Unfortunately the few spoil it for the many.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have a Quattro as well, I put it in the van if we're going to be near a beach but some beaches require a (free) permit from the Crown and I think National Trust don't allow it on their beaches.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was talking to a very old man on the beach in Pembrokeshire last Summer and he had this sophisticated detector. He told me that he had been detecting near a sunken wreck on Freshwater West beach (its only uncovered once in a blue moon) and had found an old Spanish coin which he said was worth £10K:Eeek:

It has to be worth a go for that sort of find.

I would like to dredge the shores of Pembroke Castle where Oliver Cromwell laid siege for weeks on end when he was around. I bet the finds around there would be amazing.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I got one of these, cost a few hundred a few years ago..

Had good fun with it down the beach, and earned it`s keep.. (y)

vaquero-face.jpg

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a Whites DX which now lives in the van I go out with a couple of clubs. The weekend wonderers and Leisure promotions it was at one of these meets that someone found some gold torks worth a lot of money. My best find is a 57AD roman coin valued at £1000. A fun meet would be great (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had a Fisher F2, bought from Joan Allen's shop..

Used on beaches in France while full time.. found plenty of WW2 shell cases on Mimizan beach.. a few old French Francs and not much else.. it passed the time and was always a reason to go for a walk

sold it a couple of few years ago as couldn't get permission to search the farm land near us..

best advice I got was to join a local detectorists club..

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Does any one know if it can be done in Spain or portugal.?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Does any one know if it can be done in Spain or portugal.?

Spain............ I believe you need a license, obtainable from the Ayuntamentor. (Council) surprise, surprise.. :RollEyes::wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back