Rally Chat Messing about on the river @Shrewsbury (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think Canadien
Open Canadian Canoe suits my back and I think they are safer for beginners than a traditional Kayak, and you only get wet knees sitting in them(y), wet backside in a Kayak:LOL:

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just been alerted to the thread. Thanks (you know who you are ;) )

1. Very much interested please. (y) (pending dates).
2. Not got one. :(
3. Would if we had one. ;)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think Canadien

Open Canadian Canoe suits my back and I think they are safer for beginners than a traditional Kayak, and you only get wet knees sitting in them(y), wet backside in a Kayak:LOL:

Martin

Which is why I have a sit-on kayak :)

Never had a wet bum in a kayak, I wear a drysuit in cold weather so even after a swim I am dry :) I am also told that neoprene shorts keep the undercarriage dry but I usually wear bikini shorts in warm weather. Can't say I have ever noticed sitting in a pool of water, but I do have a padded neoprene seat with full back support and not the simple back strap ...... I have had back surgery and think the seating and correct back support adjustment is vital. The Canadian put more twist strain on my back just where I don't need it, the kayak is more a shoulder roll action with pushing through the supported back from the legs.

Anyway if we get to the meet people can try the rigid sit-on day boats and see what they think. My last boat was a Wilderness System Ride (the older model) and was bomb proof. It was also huge and very heavy which is why I swapped for the day boat.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Mmmmm yes Hilary ... after seeing your reaction to the pedalo swans in Southport .... maybe just stand and watch sweetheart. :rolleyes:

Ha ha I know my capabilities !!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
1) Would definately be interested but is dependent on dates.
2) don't do water unless it's coming out of a shower head!!
3) n/a

It's years since I have been in this area and would like to visit again.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
If anyone is interested Derek is proposing to sell his kayak this summer. I have put an ad on the Classified. He has owned it from new - original cost in the region of £600 with all the bits and bobs.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning Jon, I think the weir is OK if we shoot it at the left hand side;) NO NO we are not doing the weir don't panic.

I think we will end up with a mixed group of paddlers some may go off on their own up or down stream, others will want to borrow equipment and just have a go from the little beach which would be straight out the back of the camping field (the one that N+B used for the FS Jon) we would be reliant on the experienced paddlers giving up some of their time to help supervise the "come and try it" people.

If there is the demand we could possibly get commercial organisation to lay on a mini bus and trailer full of open canoes and go off and do a stretch of the river starting upstream of course.

If it takes off I would be looking for some willing volunteers, I think @Debs want to do the walking tours of the town;)

Martin
I'm happy to help out with anything I can Martin - Lu will be tagging along if you do go for that weekend as college is shut. Means we'll have to be billy no mates as she'll want power for her lappy - she also wants to pitch a little tent & I'd want to put the pop up out.

With regards to the town walks - thought you said you could get a man in:LOL:. Sounds like a good plan to me

@jnn You'd need some fit persons for help with pushing due to the hills I reckon with a manual chair. Some towns do mobility scooter hire.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm happy to help out with anything I can Martin - Lu will be tagging along if you do go for that weekend as college is shut. Means we'll have to be billy no mates as she'll want power for her lappy - she also wants to pitch a little tent & I'd want to put the pop up out.

With regards to the town walks - thought you said you could get a man in:LOL:. Sounds like a good plan to me

@jnn You'd need some fit persons for help with pushing due to the hills I reckon with a manual chair. Some towns do mobility scooter hire.
@Debs I think you book a guide through the tourist info, and by all account its really interesting, so it would just be a matter of coordinating how many people wanted to do it and when.

I spoke to Jan at the showground about power and they could get the electrician put put point up in the field we would all use so not even "Billy no mates" as long as we know numbers it will all be OK.

Martin

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

@Debs What date are you working on?

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Bill and I are happy to help in any way we can Martin with the flower show etc . we live locally so we will be looking at this venue for future meets or for just chilling ourselves .
Will the room we had for the new year be available for Funsters to use at the flower show meet if it goes a head . It's a fantastic room .
Regards Kate

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bill and I are happy to help in any way we can Martin with the flower show etc . we live locally so we will be looking at this venue for future meets or for just chilling ourselves .
Will the room we had for the new year be available for Funsters to use at the flower show meet if it goes a head . It's a fantastic room .
Regards Kate
Don't think it would be available during the flower show as there is a caravan group that have been using it for years so get first dibs. Hopefully the weather would be good and we could be outside.

Martin

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Couldn't possibly say:whistle: we failed to find either of them this weekend though :LOL: my excuse is that Shrewsbury is bigger than you think:D2
We found both Debs - The Shrewsbury Hotel was the better of the two though..... You need the Spoons App.... Proper Job!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We found both Debs - The Shrewsbury Hotel was the better of the two though..... You need the Spoons App.... Proper Job!

In our opinion - 'Montys' as the locals call it is better for a drink because you can sit by the big windows and its a little buzzier but the food in the Shrewsbury is lots better, unbelievable really as it all comes from the same place. Lots of other eating and drinking places are available..........

Jon

The guided walks are available from the Tourist Information Centre, from memory I think you need about 20 people to get your own tour or you can tag along on any one of the daily ones.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Sorry Martin thought these dates had clashed with somthing we had already set our hearts on doing this year . If we can help out in the future we would love to do so .
Kate Bill & Amanda xxx

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes as Kate says the dates do clash with Saltfleet Rally for one and also the Bristol Balloon festival.

We are going to go ahead with this anyway starting Thursday the 10th of August for a duration up to 7 nights for anybody who wants to go straight to Malvern.

I don't know numbers yet until I get the field size from Jan at the showground, we are NOT taking bookings yet but if you put a "watch" on this thread I will announce when the new RALLY thread is created and you can put your names on the list then.

Martin

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really upset.. this same weekend I am in Bristol for balloon festival after househunting :( .. Logging off to sulk now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Really upset.. this same weekend I am in Bristol for balloon festival after househunting :( .. Logging off to sulk now.

If we don't make it (and it looks like we probably won't) perhaps we should have a mini-meet Joy?

Bala Lake is nice for paddling and there is plenty to do round about.

louise65

Free Member
Aug 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Yes would like to visit Shrewsbury hope we can do a bit of fishing

OP
OP
funflair

funflair