Rally Chat Messing about on the river @Shrewsbury (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We no longer have a canoe but we have done quite a few canoe trips in France and Czech but these were where you were taken upstream in a minbus and trailer. I think this is the best way of doing the severn, either travel down from Montford Bridge to the showground or down to Ironbridge Gorge (quite a long way though).

I did speak to a guy in the summer who was offering exactly this. As not many of the respondents so far seem to have canoes - might this be the better option?

Jon

btw I did do the montford bridge to Shrewsbury trip when I was in the scouts - a few years ago.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
www.sabrinaboat.co.uk

I'm sure this would be of interest to many, we had a great time last year celebrating a friends birthday on the boat.

View attachment 140384
Thanks for that, yes there are lots of options, if it's the same time as the flower festival the boat trips will be busy I guess.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We no longer have a canoe but we have done quite a few canoe trips in France and Czech but these were where you were taken upstream in a minbus and trailer. I think this is the best way of doing the severn, either travel down from Montford Bridge to the showground or down to Ironbridge Gorge (quite a long way though).

I did speak to a guy in the summer who was offering exactly this. As not many of the respondents so far seem to have canoes - might this be the better option?

Jon

btw I did do the montford bridge to Shrewsbury trip when I was in the scouts - a few years ago.
A few years ago(y) I know what you mean about the downstream trips a bit like skiing is easier downhill.

There are certainly options as a few people do the organised (downhill) trips.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes subject to dates.
We have a double sit on kayak and 2 singles, paddles and life jackets etc. Also 4 pool noodles!
yes Funsters can borrow them.
Congratulation @Mousy you are the first person that wants to come canoeing that actually has a canoe.

Martin

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Martin im a newbie to canoeing only done a little at she'll island , hoping to have another go at Millport meet was just wondering will it be safe on the river Severn for newbies or do you need experience to go on the river ? Kate X

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Martin im a newbie to canoeing only done a little at she'll island , hoping to have another go at Millport meet was just wondering will it be safe on the river Severn for newbies or do you need experience to go on the river ? Kate X

You have plenty of experience, Kate.. :) Oh, sorry... you mean boating!!!!! ;)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Kate

I don't think it will run terribly fast in the summer but as Jon says it is a lot easier going downhill, it should be fine especially if we can get a couple of experienced paddlers to lend their expertise.

I might have to go along for a recce before getting too excited.

Work in progress.

Martin

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes subject to dates.
We have a double sit on kayak and 2 singles, paddles and life jackets etc. Also 4 pool noodles!
yes Funsters can borrow them.
Oooooooooooooooooo - I'de forgotten about the pool noodles - we have 2 noodles, and also 2 of these.....
IMG_2827.JPG

Could be a first for the Severn......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Kate

I don't think it will run terribly fast in the summer but as Jon says it is a lot easier going downhill, it should be fine especially if we can get a couple of experienced paddlers to lend their expertise.

I might have to go along for a recce before getting too excited.

Work in progress.

Martin
Thanks got that Martin. Watching will suit me if lovely weather! Can you organise that?!!!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
far too late Martin, knowledge of your meet running formula has already got us raring to go :):)(y)(y)
Be careful David I have canoeing friends that got me all excited about a little trip out of Zeebrugge few years ago, 28 hours 56 minutes and 12 seconds at sea later we eventually landed at Felixstowe, I still don't know where we were heading:LOL:

Martin

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
not to put a downer on having fun canoeing, I would suspect that canoeing down/up the river severn needs some experience and all the necessary safety equipment, unlike a quick paddle off a sunny beach in a rubber blow up. I would imagine the severn is a navigable big boat river and is quite deep and cold with very few places to land a canoe/boat along the banks.
Anyone contemplating this activity needs to be able to swim even with safety equipment. Maybe the more serious canoeists on FUN can offer some advice/tips etc(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We would come to laugh..... I mean watch !!!
I am not allowed in the water anymore since the police incident in Morocco :whistle: :(

and just to enjoy Shrewsbury...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We would come to laugh..... I mean watch !!!
I am not allowed in the water anymore since the police incident in Morocco :whistle: :(

and just to enjoy Shrewsbury...
And Shrewsbury is lovely:)
Loads of places to eat & drink, lots of independant shops, interesting buildings & history. Lots of nooks & crannies to explore:)

@funflair would the town walk/guide be something that might be possible too;)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
And Shrewsbury is lovely:)
Loads of places to eat & drink, lots of independant shops, interesting buildings & history. Lots of nooks & crannies to explore:)

@funflair would the town walk/guide be something that might be possible too;)
Will there be a weatherspoons on route Debs for breakfast lunch or tea or all 3 ?!!:LOL:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Will there be a weatherspoons on route Debs for breakfast lunch or tea or all 3 ?!!:LOL:
Couldn't possibly say:whistle: we failed to find either of them this weekend though :LOL: my excuse is that Shrewsbury is bigger than you think:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back