Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Ducato x290 2017 Windows 10 MES 4.5 USB OBDLink SX
Question 1
Scanning ...

Engine / ECM
Marelli 9DF CF6/EOBD Diesel Injection (2.3)
ISO Code: 00 01 50 08 14

Body / BCM (Body Computer Module)
Body Computer Marelli (290)
ISO Code: BF 83 8F 0D B3

ABS / ABS/BSM (Brake System Module)
Bosch ABS 9
ISO Code: EC 07 2F 0D 04

COMPLETED
try to connect to abs get error CONNECTION fAILED
ALL others OK
Whats Up?

Question 2 Wanting to use Templates to repeat same selected parameters
option T bottom RHS

image_2020-11-02_212218.png

Been unable to suss it or find info in manual or online
anyone got a clue?

Question 3
What would be sensible parameters to monitor on a periodic or regular basis.
Edit or groups of parameters based around a specific sensor or activity
Sorry to those who are thinking WTF

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Youer saying that your scan tool links OK with the power train and body control module but fails to connect to the braking module..
Arey ou sure its compatible with light commercial as opposed to cars..
As for monitoring parameters...can i ask whats the point..just use the tool when you get fault codes or when the maintenance/servicing you are doing calls for its use..
If you just want to see say fuel pressures and turbo boost type info under real driving conditions the apps like torque are handy..
That would be my approach..
Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Does Question 1 need the green cable adapter? It does with my old skool gendan USB cable setup
It doesn't mention it.
it asks for the yellow one when it needs it.
when i bought it i checked with Gendan what was required.
Thanks for the thought, will throw Gendan a mail.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Youer saying that your scan tool links OK with the power train and body control module but fails to connect to the braking module..
Arey ou sure its compatible with light commercial as opposed to cars..
As for monitoring parameters...can i ask whats the point..just use the tool when you get fault codes or when the maintenance/servicing you are doing calls for its use..
If you just want to see say fuel pressures and turbo boost type info under real driving conditions the apps like torque are handy..
That would be my approach..
Andy..
yes links OK with the power train and body control module but fails to connect to the braking module
It is sold specifically as being suitable for the Ducato. It is a much more power full tool than GENERIC obd2 readers such as Torq, but not as in depth as Vagcom/VCDS as used on Audi VW group vehicles. I all ready have this software i just need help on using it more fully than just reading fault codes. Prevention and understanding.
At the time of purchase i believe this was the only METHOD/software able to reset the service interval/ oil change on a Euro6 Ducato (maybe Alfa OBD )

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Using the yellow cable it also connects to
yellow cable
Scanning ...

Body / BCM (Body Control Module)
Body Computer Marelli (290)
ISO Code: BF 83 8F 0D B3

Airbag / NAB/ORC (Airbag/Occupant Restraint Module)
TRW Airbag MY14
ISO Code: EA 07 CD 0D 20

Dashboard / IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
Instrument Panel Marelli
ISO Code: 32 83 EF 0D 86

COMPLETED

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Do these help?

OBDLink interfaces
This is also an advanced type of interface which supports multiple protocols.
With this type of interface you can connect to all supported modules except for
some of the old Airbag modules and some old ABS and engine modules.

In order to connect to ABS, Airbag, Power Steering and XENON modules you
need to have an adapter cable, or you need to modify your interface.

Also, in order to connect to most of the control modules in Grande Punto, Punto
Evo, 500, Mito and some Doblos you will need an adapter cable.

NOTE: You can check the following link to see what type of adapters/modification
you will need for your car:
http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

(Although that link indicates that connection to the ABS module on the X290 is a standard ELM protocol. I have no experience of the issue, as I use the CanTieCar multiplexer, but I have found with other vehicles that various interfaces including an OBDkey interface that I own can be "picky" with particular vehicles or modules).

The “Templates” function allows you to quickly select a group of parameters
by pressing the keys from 0 to 9.

You can store a template by pressing CTRL-X where X is a key between 0 and 9.
You can load a template by simply pressing a key between 0 and 9.

You can view the stored templates by clicking on the "Templates" button (or by
pressing T).

Last edited:
OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Do these help?
(Although that link indicates that connection to the ABS module on the X290 is a standard ELM protocol. I have no experience of the issue, as I use the CanTieCar multiplexer, but I have found with other vehicles that various interfaces including an OBDkey interface that I own can be "picky" with particular vehicles or modules).

You can store a template by pressing CTRL-X where X is a key between 0 and 9.
You can load a template by simply pressing a key between 0 and 9.
Thank you very much young man
I found a cheap Ebay ELM bluetooth job was also picky about which software it worked with. Now it its totally fubared since i dismantled it for the resistor mod.
What confuses me is the ABS module is picked up by the scan but then does not connect.

Just checked out the template storage Spot on.

Now all i need is some sage advice on some parameters or groups of parameters to monitor or at least have a baseline for. The template option is simular to the groups used by VCDS (4 parameters only) I Have looked there for generic advice, but, hoped i would get better ducato targeted advice from here

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The info I posted was cut and pasted from the manual. It also gives information on configuring the software for various interfaces. Not sure if you have a copy, but it can be downloaded from the MES website and there is other information there, including a link to the MES forum - although responses on the forum can be patchy to say the least.

There is information in the guide on setting up and testing the interfaces. USB isn't just plug and play, it uses a serial port driver and you have to tweak the settings after installation within MES to set the correct port speed.

I can't suggest parameters to monitor. I don't use it as a realtime display, other than for specific fault diagnosis. Other than servicing and maintenance resets, I just run periodic health checks for any logged faults and read through the engine ECU parameters, as there's quite a lot of information there to indicate if any problems are developing: DPF status, level of clogging, average distance between regens, number of regens since last oil change, oil degradation status etc.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks again
I downloaded the manual previously but missed the ctl x part, must learn to read whats in front of me. Time to play with usb settings.
Been reading some stuff on engine condition monitoring and monitoring engine control parameters and looking at mes capabilities shows me how little i know.
Looked at the multiecuscan forum but seems to lacking in ducato stuff unless you have been playing with headlights.
All very academic concidering the mileage im doing now.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
As additional info,
I connected alfaobd using my obdlink sx cable and usb cable to my Samsung j6 phone and Samsung tablet.
The welcome screen has BT and wifi options for interfaces to get to other options
Press Settings button (top line)
Interface
Comes up with list of interfaces (mine obdlink usb 3rd from bottom)
AlfaObd currently ÂŁ31
While i connected to the van the interface asked to register itself and down loaded the obdlink software (included in price of cable)
So i dont need to get another cheap elm interface just keep the cable in the van when on me travels.
Ps the alfaobd developer is on the ball, he responded to a query within 24hrs.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes, I think I mentioned before, I keep an OBD key VCI and yellow adapter cable in the van, and AlfaOBD on my phone. I also carry a short 90 degree OBD cable as I have the OBD port secured with a port lock and relocated behind the lower dash panel. A straight cable can't plug in without removing the lower panel, which is only three screws, but with the angled cable it's easier than unscrewing the fuse box cover to access the normal location.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
All of the positive stuff i have done in respect of obd testing here as been done as a result of help from nice chap, Deneb.
However he was not there to stop me wasting a day of my life watching YouTube live obd data diagnosing car faults going around in circles with Schrodingers Box. I'm here to say dont doit. But if you do you could

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back