andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Just found out the hard way that if your over 3.5 tonne then the Merseyflow fee is £6 not the £2 that the website tells you when you put in your registration.
Now have a £20 fine to pay.

Andy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had to check what this was. At first I thought it was some charge fat Joe had thought up fo Liverpool.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Just found out the hard way that if your over 3.5 tonne then the Merseyflow fee is £6 not the £2 that the website tells you when you put in your registration.

Andy
It’s not if you’re over 3.5 it also includes 3.5. They’ve moved the goalpost to include 3.5. Whereas the Mersey tunnel the dart crossing etc are above 3.5. In a word robbing bastards

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Was going to appeal but for £20 can’t really be bothered , just thought I would alert all on here.

Surely over 3.5 tonne means over but not including 3.5 tonne. My MH is 4.4 tonne.

Or am I not understanding the reply above.

Deleted User
Was going to appeal but for £20 can’t really be bothered , just thought I would alert all on here.

Surely over 3.5 tonne means over but not including 3.5 tonne. My MH is 4.4 tonne.

The website shows the limits as -3.5t and 3.5t to 12t which to me includes 3.5t in the higher category, whether this is fair and comparable with other legislation is another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
It’s not if you’re over 3.5 it also includes 3.5. They’ve moved the goalpost to include 3.5. Whereas the Mersey tunnel the dart crossing etc are above 3.5. In a word robbing bastards

I hope not, we've dropped to a 3.500 vehicle, it's recorded us as 3.500 and the last time I looked we had been charged the car rate. Must check when I get back to the iPad with clearer screen access.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
I hope not, we've dropped to a 3.500 vehicle, it's recorded us as 3.500 and the last time I looked we had been charged the car rate. Must check when I get back to the iPad with clearer screen access.
I went over the first day of opening 3.5 tonne hymer payed that night and complained when they charged me £6 said it included 3.5 tonne never been over it since. Not heard of any reductions. If they have changed it would use it again always used to go that way to Shropshire

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Andy
no £26 including the toll charge

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Well, that was hard work on this phone.
Everything changed for motorhomes with this new traffic regulation order. This order followed a consultation period when there were a number of objections, including mine to motorhome classifications.
The date of the change was 19 April 2018.
This classified all motorhomes WHOSE V5C HAS THE CORRECT CLASSIFICATION ON IT by DVLA ( the rub is some don't), and Merseyflow only rely on what the DVLA send them, as Class 2, irrespective of weight. Without going right into the very complex traffic order, this link provided the base information, which aligns Merseyflow with the Dartford Tunnel. My last 3 charges since we changed our vehicle in May, as I have my vehicles registered, were £1.80 each crossing.
If DVLA have your wrong classification, appeal but also get your V5C changed by DVLA.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Well, that was hard work on this phone.
Everything changed for motorhomes with this new traffic regulation order. This order followed a consultation period when there were a number of objections, including mine to motorhome classifications.
The date of the change was 19 April 2018.
This classified all motorhomes WHOSE V5C HAS THE CORRECT CLASSIFICATION ON IT by DVLA ( the rub is some don't), and Merseyflow only rely on what the DVLA send them, as Class 2, irrespective of weight. Without going right into the very complex traffic order, this link provided the base information, which aligns Merseyflow with the Dartford Tunnel. My last 3 charges since we changed our vehicle in May, as I have my vehicles registered, were £1.80 each crossing.
If DVLA have your wrong classification, appeal but also get your V5C changed by DVLA.
Thanks for that what a cracking hive of information this site and it’s members are. I live in the northwest and new nothing of this change. I’ve changed my van but still 3.5 ton. Will be on the phone to see what they are going to charge me and ask for my £4 20 back.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC

Presumably you were in a motorhome, not a HGV?

The website shows the limits as -3.5t and 3.5t to 12t

The legal basis of their tolls is here (document linked to from the Merseyflow web page)

Which, to my reading at least, differs from the information on their web site:

They define the vehicle classes on page 8 (but you cannot copy text from the document, hence the screen-shot):

Merseyrobbers.jpg

The "The Road User Charging And Workplace Parking Levy (Classes Of Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2001" they cite for the detailed definitions are also on line. ( Part II covers "Two or three-wheel motor vehicles and quadricycles") You need to go to part III for the definitions of L(a) and L(b), and to part V for the Ns where you will find:

===========================================

Motor caravan
Class L(a)
A motor vehicle which—
(a)has at least four wheels;
(b)has an unladen mass exceeding 400kg or an engine with a net power exceeding 15kw;
(c)is used for the carriage of passengers; and
(d)is constructed to include living accommodation containing at least the following equipment:
(i)seats and a table;
(ii)sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
(iii)cooking facilities; and
(iv)storage facilities,
all of which equipment is rigidly fixed to the living compartment notwithstanding that the table may be designed to be easily removable.
Class L(b)
A motor vehicle as defined in Class L(a) which is drawing a trailer.

============================
Category N: Motor vehicles with at least four wheels used for the carriage of goods
In this Part references to a “motor vehicle” are to a motor vehicle with or without a semi-trailer which—

(a)has at least four wheels;

(b)has an unladen mass exceeding 550kg or an engine with power exceeding 15kW; and

(c)is used for the carriage of goods.

Sub-Category N1
Class N1(a)

A motor vehicle which has a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.

Class N1(b)
A motor vehicle as defined in Class N1(a) which is drawing a trailer.

Category N2
Class N2(a)

A motor vehicle which has a maximum mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 12 tonnes.

Class N2(b)
A motor vehicle as defined in Class N2(a) which is drawing a trailer.

===================================================

It appears to be quite clear to me that:

All motorhomes should be class 2, regardless of weight.

and

Vans up to and including 3500kg should be class 2

robbing bastards.

Quite.

(Apparently the news arrived while I was typing! )

Edit to add: It would appear that as long as your vehicle meets the definition of Class L, they should charge you as class 2, regardless of what is on the V5. It might mean appealing every time though! Interesting, given the DVLA's current reluctance to reclassify converted vans as "Motor Caravans"...

Last edited:

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No

I sympathise, but I suppose I consider our van to be “normal” and unlikely to attract excess charges for ferries, bridges and tunnels, as long as we remain 5.99M and 3. 5tonne(inc).
You say 4.4 tonne, i’m Guessing that you are probably over 6.0M?

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
no £26 including the toll charge
The fine is £20 as I said in the original post. and of course you then have to pay the outstanding toll charge as I had paid £2 the outstanding was £4.

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I’d never heard of this before and seen the signs on the way to wales. Paid by number plate and was astonished it was only two quid.
Now worried I never paid on the way back but not sure if we crossed it again, do they let you know?

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Should maybe add we just follow the sat nav and no ide where it was before we met it and no idea where it is now but never noticed signs on way back, is it only one way?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Should maybe add we just follow the sat nav and no ide where it was before we met it and no idea where it is now but never noticed signs on way back, is it only one way?
Both ways. There are that many cameras in more than one point so things like tailgating, or going in the shadow of a large HGV trailer that you can sometimes get away with on the motorway 50 limits, you can’t on the new bridge. When the old bridge opens up again after refurbishment that too will be tolled.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
TOLLS. Are simply another "Stealth" tax. If the "Authorities" where serious about it, they would toll roads and remove the VED. I do all my routing via non tolled roads, with very few exceptions One being the Humber Bridge. Avoided using it for years, but when they dropped the toll to £1-50 (including the "A" framed car!!) it became more viable for some journeys in terms of fuel cost / time effectiveness. For some years, we did a delivery drop at Bristol and then Cardiff, When they changed the Toll to one way, we simply changed the delivery to Cardiff (Via the A40 A449) and then Bristol! saved (I think) about £12 per trip.

As for the fine, I got a PCN recently, for parking on double yellow lines, which I challenged and got it dropped, The "Hitler" had failed to take notice of the fact that the vehicle had a valid "Blue Badge" displayed. They came back with the usual "withdrawn as a concession" rubbish which is almost standard "speak" for "we got it wrong".

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Well after saying I couldn’t be bothered and had payed the fine and the extra £4 for the toll I found a link to appeal and did.
Lone behold today I had an Email to say there had been an administration error and my appeal was successful I would get a refund for the fine and for the extra £4 for the toll.
It then goes on to say that as my MH is class 3 all future crossings would be £6.
I also use the dart crossing and can confirm all MH are class 2 on this crossing as stated on the dart website.

I don’t know, I wish they could make up there mind.

Cheers all for your replies.

Andy.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Well after saying I couldn’t be bothered and had payed the fine and the extra £4 for the toll I found a link to appeal and did.
Lone behold today I had an Email to say there had been an administration error and my appeal was successful I would get a refund for the fine and for the extra £4 for the toll.
It then goes on to say that as my MH is class 3 all future crossings would be £6.
I also use the dart crossing and can confirm all MH are class 2 on this crossing as stated on the dart website.

Andy.
Glad you got it sorted, or sort of. Think they just charge what they want.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp

Andy.

On your V5C in the Vehicle Details at item D5, does this classify your vehicle as a Motor Caravan?

If so, you need to write back to them and tell them they are wrong. Under THEIR legislation under which they operate weight is immaterial to the definition of a Motor Caravan. Both myself and Misterg outlined the actual legislation and they are clearly wrong in insisting you are Class 3. Their is only one classification for a Motor Caravan under their legislation and it is Class 2.

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
On your V5C in the Vehicle Details at item D5, does this classify your vehicle as a Motor Caravan?

If so, you need to write back to them and tell them they are wrong. Under THEIR legislation under which they operate weight is immaterial to the definition of a Motor Caravan. Both myself and Misterg outlined the actual legislation and they are clearly wrong in insisting you are Class 3. Their is only one classification for a Motor Caravan under their legislation and it is Class 2.
Yes it does state at D5 Motor Caravan and as you say in that case it should be Class 2 but as I live in SW London the probability that I will again use Merseyflow is pretty remote.

Cheers Andy

PS have sent enquiry regarding the class 2/3 issue

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Just be grateful that you didn't break down:

Vehicle breakdown charges
If a vehicle has a breakdown whilst on the bridge, recovery is only permitted by a designated authorised company. No roadside repairs, refuelling or tyre changing are permitted unless by special permission. The recovered vehicle will be taken to an appropriate place where it will be impounded until the recovery and storage fees are paid. Fees are a minimum of £150 plus VAT for a small vehicle.

Gordon

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Just be grateful that you didn't break down:

Vehicle breakdown charges
If a vehicle has a breakdown whilst on the bridge, recovery is only permitted by a designated authorised company. No roadside repairs, refuelling or tyre changing are permitted unless by special permission. The recovered vehicle will be taken to an appropriate place where it will be impounded until the recovery and storage fees are paid. Fees are a minimum of £150 plus VAT for a small vehicle.

Gordon
So for a puncture that’s £180 before you start what a pissing rip off. Highway robbery

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Had a reply from merseyflow copied below.

“Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your email to Merseyflow dated 28/08/2019.

Having reviewed your email regarding payment of Road User Charges for vehicle XXXXXXX; we can confirm that future charging rates for the above vehicle will be at the class 2 charge of £2.00.

In addition, we can confirm your vehicle is identified as a Mobilvetta make and a K-Yacht Teknoline 85 Auto. “

So if you’re MH is put into class 3 because of the weight then appeal.

Cheers all
Andy.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Great positive result, eventually, you shouldn’t have had to go to such lengths though just to get what you should have had from 19/4/2019 when they changed their ‘rules’.

How many people legitimately recorded as Motor Caravan on their V5C since this date have been conned out of £4 per crossing?

Misterg Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back