Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would spend a bit more and get one of the ring hoop ones, the basic one are a real pain, konig is a good brand but there are plenty more, the ring hoop ones have a steel flexibele ring which goes over and behind the rim, you then close the ring and wave the front chain through to tighten, you also have automatic tightening ones these days, but even with those I would recommend to drive a few hundred yards at slow speed and then get out and check if they haven’t loosened up. Another thing is if you are likely to be in a mountain environment and you get surprised by a snowstorm or drive into the snow line because you are gaining altitude , if you drive a fully loaded 7/8/9 metre MH I would always choose to have 4 chains on, 2 on driven axle and two on the front ( or rear un driven axle, nothing is as bad for your nerves as sliding down a mountain or backwards sliding whilst driving up a mountain, with a normal car two chains is adequate for most situations but something as large as a MH your better off having chains all around , I have collected raw milk for many years first in wagon and drag 44t and then articulated 44t in Germany and Luxemburg in all weathers and at remote farms, we always had proper winter tyres and snow Chains on all wheels , when I swapped Dairy they invested in automatic snow Chains, they are working at the touch of a button in the cabin, switch on, switch off, they are on a rotator system, short chains which are slung under the wheel, this system is also available for big vans like a MH if you have some spare cash behind the sofa 😇, look it up on you tube it’s a real creative solution and no more sitting in the snow fighting your chains lol
Thats the type ive bought with the ring that goes around the rear rim of the wheel ...they actually seem pretty easy to fit ...i did it yesterday just to see how it went on ...the guy i bought them from used them once and that was that so picked up a bargain.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Thats the type ive bought with the ring that goes around the rear rim of the wheel ...they actually seem pretty easy to fit ...i did it yesterday just to see how it went on ...the guy i bought them from used them once and that was that so picked up a bargain.
Yep, not to difficult when you take some time, but I assure you that the first time you need them for real it will be in a blizzard of snow, dark , - 10 , on a steep incline with idiot drivers sliding around to avoid you😇, so home practice is a wonderful thing, ( and so is forward planning , don’t wait too long, find a safe place to fit them if you can 👍)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep, not to difficult when you take some time, but I assure you that the first time you need them for real it will be in a blizzard of snow, dark , - 10 , on a steep incline with idiot drivers sliding around to avoid you😇, so home practice is a wonderful thing, ( and so is forward planning , don’t wait too long, find a safe place to fit them if you can 👍)
Im hoping that I won't actually need them ...but yeah i can imagine that fitting them in snow etc will not be fun

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
may i ask what make/brand they are Tam and what price they were or how much should I be looking at.

BTW i’ll only be using them if necessary on a motorway from France to Spain

Al

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
may i ask what make/brand they are Tam and what price they were or how much should I be looking at.

BTW i’ll only be using them if necessary on a motorway from France to Spain

Al
The ones i got are husky sumex

Think they are about £35 new but i got these for £10

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
56F4BD53-CB51-4F82-8DD1-EB21FC6785F1.png

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For the battery experts ...where is the best place to store my 2 starter batteries for the vario over winter while im away? Theyve been disconnected for months while ive been doing the welding etc but they are still under the drivers seat and im concerned about them getting knackered over the winter. Am i better removing them and wrapping in a bkanket and storing in the caravan? Also am i better removing the caravan battery too when i go away and storing it inside?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

How about an outbacker firebox if space is tight?

Cheers James

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
For the battery experts ...where is the best place to store my 2 starter batteries for the vario over winter while im away? Theyve been disconnected for months while ive been doing the welding etc but they are still under the drivers seat and im concerned about them getting knackered over the winter. Am i better removing them and wrapping in a bkanket and storing in the caravan? Also am i better removing the caravan battery too when i go away and storing it inside?
Yes put them inside , out of the cold and on a trickle charger, it simulates being used, slowly discharge and charge ……

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's the cold thats a killer for batteries, so keep them charged and toasty.
Can you put them in the house and ask your sister nicely if she can switch a charger on once a month ?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Google optimate battery conditioner/trickle charger

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes put them inside , out of the cold and on a trickle charger, it simulates being used, slowly discharge and charge ……
Can you put them in the house and ask your sister nicely if she can switch a charger on once a month ?
Can't put them in the house unfortunately and can't leave the caravan plugged in either. So won't be able to trickle charge them ...but figured if i at least charge them all before i go then leave them all inside the caravan wrapped up from the cold that they should survive a bit better.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about a small solar panel?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Can't put them in the house unfortunately and can't leave the caravan plugged in either. So won't be able to trickle charge them ...but figured if i at least charge them all before i go then leave them all inside the caravan wrapped up from the cold that they should survive a bit better.
Is there a funster in the Area willing to have them in a cosy garage on a trickle charger for you?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
What ever you do and there is great advice from others but, keep them off the concrete floor.
Concrete is a killer 😲

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Bloody rain is back ☹️ im hoping it clears up this afternoon so i can carry on with these panels ... tomorrow looks ok but i had hoped to have the welds finished and ground down today so i could prime the panels tomorrow and paint on friday when iveco is in getting cambelt done.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Im hoping that I won't actually need them ...but yeah i can imagine that fitting them in snow etc will not be fun
We actively seek out the snow for skiing and have only need chains twice in the last 6 years. Both times in resort and not to get there in the first place. Practice putting them on with warm gloves on as that is what you will need if you have to use them. We keep an old pair of ski gloves in with the chains so no searching around when the time comes. Also something to kneel on too.

If you are going near an area that needs them, there is usually signs telling you to pull off and fit chains, sometimes police directing you too. Even in the height of winter the authorities in the Alps and Pyrenees are pretty good at clearing the roads, it is just the huge dumps of snow over night that catch them out.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Build yourself another tent?
I cant as its on the other side and i dont have the wall to use for support.

Forecast says its meant to clear up this afternoon so heres hoping

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There is a difference between snow chains & paper chains Tam

I bought cheap ones and they were over a hundred quid. Also have winter tyres.
They look alright to be honest not sure how much they were new...but they look pretty sturdy with decent fastenings. ... . And they are only to cover my ass if i get stopped lol

Im hoping not to use them ....im going away to avoid that weather lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We actively seek out the snow for skiing and have only need chains twice in the last 6 years. Both times in resort and not to get there in the first place. Practice putting them on with warm gloves on as that is what you will need if you have to use them. We keep an old pair of ski gloves in with the chains so no searching around when the time comes. Also something to kneel on too.

If you are going near an area that needs them, there is usually signs telling you to pull off and fit chains, sometimes police directing you too. Even in the height of winter the authorities in the Alps and Pyrenees are pretty good at clearing the roads, it is just the huge dumps of snow over night that catch them out.
Im hoping that will be the case. Had i been keeping this van id have fitted good winter tyres ...just being a tight wad so the chains were just to cover me with the law just in case.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
There is a difference between snow chains & paper chains Tam

I bought cheap ones and they were over a hundred quid. Also have winter tyres.
£17.99 on flea bay. They might be useless but does the law specify they have to work. I guess if they were useless and you were stuck blocking the traffic and the snow ploughs the gendarmes wouldn't be happy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
£17.99 on flea bay. They might be useless but does the law specify they have to work. I guess if they were useless and you were stuck blocking the traffic and the snow ploughs the gendarmes wouldn't be happy.
Probably only suitable for light cars if they are not going to do the job no point having them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They look alright to be honest not sure how much they were new...but they look pretty sturdy with decent fastenings. ... . And they are only to cover my ass if i get stopped lol

Im hoping not to use them ....im going away to avoid that weather lol
You did t say they were s/h.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
You did t say they were s/h.
Ha Ha. They are likely to be s/h for a tenner. The ones I had we bought in Annecy from a French version of halford's. They were €50 back in 2005. That would make them about €100 now.

They did the job on a citroen c5 hire car but they wouldn't have been up to the job of a 5t motorhome that's for sure.

The point being though, regardless of how s**t they are, are they legally compliant or would you get done for not having suitable chains if you caused a hold up. I suspect the latter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back