Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (2 Viewers)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have you thought of a back boiler of the wood burner? not sure how it would work but lots of boats have them for extra rads, no idea if it could be converted and pumped to a shower or not...
Ive not seen any small burners with the option ... and im fitting quite a small woodburner thats designed for van use
To do this you will need a large thermal store as it produces a lot of hot water (retired heating engineer), the idea is a good one but would over complicate the build IMHO. Back boiler, thermal store, pumps, pipework and possibly a vented system into a tank or unvented needs a pressure vessel.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
It didn't look that difficult to be honest. But that price is tempting ...i could get 8 cells and have 280ah at 24v for less than £1k
i went for a 300Ah lith at £1700 it has all the "safety" built in. currently running either my air con in my office if hot or dehumidifier in the garage in the night via a inverter. the lowest i have managed to get on my batt is 37% during the night.
I admire people building there own.
Billy

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
It isn't the money so much its making the right choice... had issues with low power on the hymer when in dull weather so i want to make sure i have more than enough on the merc ... so lithium or gel i cant decide ...i can buy more gel for the price of the lithium ..
As I only just finished reading your fab thread about Greece it is still fresh in my memory, as I said before, i think you want to get this one a hundred % right or near enough, so I would forget the budget when doing the really important things like electricity , hot and cold water and heating, I think it is generally accepted that lithium is superior to everything else but expensive, two things, I would calculate the worst possible scenario, and then put 50% extra capacity on top , better too much then not enough, and why not ask a professional like Vanbitz to advise you on how to achieve this ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It isn't the money so much its making the right choice... had issues with low power on the hymer when in dull weather so i want to make sure i have more than enough on the merc ... so lithium or gel i cant decide ...i can buy more gel for the price of the lithium ..
For you the advantage of Lithium is being able to get a high charge rate into them quickly from a B2B, They also charge faster from solar as no Peukert Exponent to take account of & no absorption phase is needed.
The high discharge current that Lithiums are good at you probably wouldn't use.
Gels & Lithium give about the same useable power as you can take Gels down to 80 DOD & Lithium are best charged to 90% & not discharged past 90% DOD so both can give 80ah per 100ah battery.
Gels will take a lot longer to recharge & you can't fast charge them from a high power B2B.

If it's not a case of money Lithium, also because of the fast recharge you won't need such a large battery bank with Lithium.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
its the weight saved that swayed me. 260ah gel =75kg x2 =150kg lith 300ah = 37kg more room for beer :cool:
I don't have the weight problem. What brand is your 300ah lithium?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For you the advantage of Lithium is being able to get a high charge rate into them quickly from a B2B, They also charge faster from solar as no Peukert Exponent to take account of & no absorption phase is needed.
The high discharge current that Lithiums are good at you probably wouldn't use.
Gels & Lithium give about the same useable power as you can take Gels down to 80 DOD & Lithium are best charged to 90% & not discharged past 90% DOD so both can give 80ah per 100ah battery.
Gels will take a lot longer to recharge & you can't fast charge them from a high power B2B.

If it's not a case of money Lithium, also because of the fast recharge you won't need such a large battery bank with Lithium.
Good info as always ....im not gonna even ask what puekart exponent means ..

But yes as im not planning to fit 240v in it at present the fact i can charge from a good b2b and solar is key. Im planning 500w solar that is tiltable. ...but im putting in the option to add to that later if need be .

I said at the start i was going to set aside £5k for my electrics set up if it gave me peace of mind that i will never run out of power and im sure i can get a full victron setup for less than that. The only thing not victron will be the panels themselves as i want 2 x 250w sitting side by side over the cab .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm currently investigating a Lithium build from a set of one of the various sizes of cell available from China. The build isn't scary as there's plenty of good information available. Choosing the correct BMS is crucial, connecting it is simple. Initial cell balancing requires little skill but a good knowledge of what you are aiming for. I buy stuff from Wish and the likes regularly and haven't had any bad experiences. I pay using credit card-backed PayPal but so far haven't needed their protections. The few DOA or not as described items have been promptly refunded after contacting the seller with instructions to keep the item anyway. They have occasionally asked for a photograph of transit damage.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
those "flexible flyers" are worth top money now!
..im not gonna even ask what puekart exponent means ..
i thought it was spell check & meant " peugeot expert" :ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Tam
Most of what you are proposing with hot water heating via Bobble unit heat exchanger connected to the output of the Chinese diesel heater, plus of course using heat from the engine heater matrix by running pipes to an indirect heating copper coil has been covered by Max & Sofie's Vario Conversion, as I am sure you know, some great tips/ideas from them, although I didn't see them mount the copper coil inside the hot water tank, only the flow & return to the Bobble unit on the output from the diesel heater.:unsure:

Their Solar & Victron set up will be a good example also, plus the 24 to 12 V dropper unit.
I like the way they handle problems that can only be discovered after fitting things, like the Chinese diesel heater upgrades for the exhaust/brackets & sound insulator jacket for the pump etc.
Good tip about checking the wheel nuts & studs on the rear wheels, get all that rust off the mating surfaces and check those spring washers, along with setting up the correct torque of course.(y)
I bet you envy the use of their dads Lock Up, so much space and dry also, even if cold in winter. I think their dad, along with them are into show events?, you will probably know more than me on that, but they seem a nice young couple to rub along with.
Good luck.
LES

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Hi Tam
Most of what you are proposing with hot water heating via Bobble unit heat exchanger connected to the output of the Chinese diesel heater, plus of course using heat from the engine heater matrix by running pipes to an indirect heating copper coil has been covered by Max & Sofie's Vario Conversion, as I am sure you know, some great tips/ideas from them, although I didn't see them mount the copper coil inside the hot water tank, only the flow & return to the Bobble unit on the output from the diesel heater.:unsure:

Their Solar & Victron set up will be a good example also, plus the 24 to 12 V dropper unit.
I like the way they handle problems that can only be discovered after fitting things, like the Chinese diesel heater upgrades for the exhaust/brackets & sound insulator jacket for the pump etc.
Good tip about checking the wheel nuts & studs on the rear wheels, get all that rust off the mating surfaces and check those spring washers, along with setting up the correct torque of course.(y)
I bet you envy the use of their dads Lock Up, so much space and dry also, even if cold in winter. I think their dad, along with them are into show events?, you will probably know more than me on that, but they seem a nice young couple to rub along with.
Good luck.
LES
I'd make the central heating system just that a circuit around the van with valves to turn off the different heating options like engine heat exchanger, stove back boiler / battery solar dump etc.

Or have a large insulated tank somewhere where all the heating elements feed into as modern houses do ...?

Just back of fag packet ideas!

Cheers James

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have Alde and when we bought it I was going to get the heat exchanger fitted for hot water/heating whilst driving, it was about £300 to buy from Alde not including any fitting.

Quickly realised after using the van for a while we didn’t need it, hot water heats up in no time on gas with the underslung tank, heating we have an expensive factory fit E2400 Truma for the front lounge which heats up immediately whilst waiting for the Alde to heat up.

Sometimes keeping things simple gives you less to go wrong and maintain.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We have Alde and when we bought it I was going to get the heat exchanger fitted for hot water/heating whilst driving, it was about £300 to buy from Alde not including any fitting.

Quickly realised after using the van for a while we didn’t need it, hot water heats up in no time on gas with the underslung tank, heating we have an expensive factory fit E2400 Truma for the front lounge which heats up immediately whilst waiting for the Alde to heat up.

Sometimes keeping things simple gives you less to go wrong and maintain.
We have alde which heats hot water & heating when driving , once driving you arrive with a fully up to temperature van & hot water at no cost , a system any FLT would be proud of

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes
We have alde which heats hot water & heating when driving , once driving you arrive with a fully up to temperature van & hot water at no cost , a system any FLT would be proud of
Yes everyone is different, ours heats the water so quick on gas and we have instant heat from the Truma while the Alde warms so I don’t fit anything that I don’t think is required. It’s such a warm van anyway that heats up really quick.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
To do this you will need a large thermal store as it produces a lot of hot water (retired heating engineer), the idea is a good one but would over complicate the build IMHO. Back boiler, thermal store, pumps, pipework and possibly a vented system into a tank or unvented needs a pressure vessel.
I agree uncontrollable heat source needs galvanised header tank ,I dont think you can even seal a water or heating on solid fuel

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Its a pita this working alone fiasco .....this is when i miss my dad as he would have been out here helping out ...

Im at the stage now where i want to get this rear window panel welded in but i cant physically lift it up there and hold it in place to get a few tacks on it ☹️. ....
20210912_163212.jpg
20210912_163216.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Im at the stage now where i want to get this rear window panel welded in but i cant physically lift it up there and hold it in place to get a few tacks on it
Are you able to put some cord through it and 'hoik' it up and tie it off so that it is supported whilst you get some tacks in then remove the cord?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Its a pita this working alone fiasco .....this is when i miss my dad as he would have been out here helping out ...

Im at the stage now where i want to get this rear window panel welded in but i cant physically lift it up there and hold it in place to get a few tacks on it ☹️. ....View attachment 535952View attachment 535953
Could you hold it enough to mark a couple of self tappers lower drill and then lift and screw in place

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another thought, what about fixing a batton or even just a couple of screws/bolts at the bottom so it can sit on there whilst you tack?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
That's a big lift for one bloke, never mind trying to tack it on at the same time. You not got a block and tackle you could hang off one of the rafters?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Im at the stage now where i want to get this rear window panel welded in but i cant physically lift it up there and hold it in place to get a few tacks on it ☹️. ....View attachment 535952View attachment 535953
Tack a 'u' bolt on the inside middleish & use one of the inside roof supports to lift it with a thin rope or cord.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Couple of 3x2 cls timber ramps. Push the sheet up the ramps. Flip into position, couple of self tapping screws to hold whilst you tack it???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back