Jun 5, 2017
Kirriemuir
Funster No
MH
STILL LOOKING
Exp
since 2004
I have been looking for a Sprinter based La Strada Regent, and came across this

I realise that the broker will have put a hefty premium on this so maybe not the best deal, but interested in opinions on buying mega high mileage vans with full service history, in particular Sprinter based vans as opposed to older with low miles.
Also what are the pros and cons of the various engines in terms of performance, economy and servicing/longevity, the earlier vans late nineties early 2000's seem to the 2.9 d with the one above having the 2.2 cdt.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi @mcubbin people arent ignoring your post, it was hidden from view till now because it had a link in it. You are new here and the system hides newbies posts with links till we've checked them (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yes the La-Strada your looking at does have mega miles against it. This really should be reflected in the price. As for the running gear side of the Sprinter sometimes the high miler can be better than one that's done next to no miles. The thing to bear in mind is that the motorhome will almost certainly feel loose, that is unless the previous owner has been pro-active & replaced bushes as required. The engines in these vehicles are really strong & take high mileage on the chin without complaining. Servicing is the key to a vehicle achieving high miles painlessly. If the service history isn't all present & correct, turn & walk away. Oh & remember that the interior kit will have been well used.

Hope this helps...Robert

Last edited:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
240,000 is a lot of miles for a motorhome for a van like mine (2.9 316, 370,000 miles) van l have done a basic conversion on. The miles don't bother me as l think l know about engines yours has full service history so if checkable have it checked over by someone who knows

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would tend to steer clear of that one. Although the Sprinter is a very robust vehicle, 240,000 miles is towards the top end of the expected reliable life of the engine. The 2.2 litre engine is a 4-pot CDi version with nominal 130 bhp output. The 2.9 litre you refer to was from an earlier engine series and it had 5 cylinders. This was relatively sluggish but has a reputation as one of the most reliable engines ever made by Mercedes (Daimler) so a good choice if you nee to buy a 'high-miler'. The later CDi equivalent of the 2.9 was a five cylinder 2.7 with 160 nominal (actually 156) bhp output. This engine was used in chassis with the designation 316, 416, 616 depending on the gross vehicle weight (3.5/3.8, 4.6 or 6 tonnes respectively). It is a fairly powerful and high revving engine that provides a lively drive. For comparison with the van advertised, ours is on a 316 with the 2.7 engine and has covered just short of 80,000 miles; but it is two years older from 2003.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I sold our 18 Month old La Strada nova M last Year for £60,000 (what we paid for it but I had put £10k retail of kit on it).
It was a 3 litre Auto with around 10,000 miles on it. It was pre registered when we bought it but brand new. Ordered from the Factory, the price would have pushed £90,000. The reason it was cheap was that the vehicle was a 2013 model. We purchased it, as I said new in 2015.

The second owner sold it this January to a dealer, less than 12 months after he bought it.

It is now with its third owner, someone who works for a different dealer and was purchased for Just £42,000. less than 30,000kM on the clock.

There is a bum for every seat, usually waiting for an unsuspecting buyer. But the La Strada Regent listed here is over priced in my humble opinion.

ours is below with its last asking price (NOW SOLD) So please do not contact the dealer.

https://www.spinney.co.uk/motorhomes/used/la-strada/symbol/2167

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
To add to my post now I have more time.

The 2.9 engine(pre 2000) wonderful engine with the gearstick on the floor and will go on forever if serviced properly. Proper auto gearbox torque converter.

After 2000 it will be the 2.7cdi or 2.2cdi with the gearstick now on the dash, the engines are not as good or reliable although are very strong, saying that some still do starship mileages. Still proper auto gearboxes on some but avoid the sprint shift would be my advice, prone to problems.

An old mechanic I worked with recently used to go around trade yards etc buying old sprinter vans, he had a bit of advice for any young apprentice mechanics he said.

''If the gearstick's on the floor, look around and buy some more but if the gearstick's on the dash, get outa there in a flash''

Have you looked around any Regent's, the La Strada model is a quality van. Excellent long lasting quality but choose wisely. Like any van in the world, if abused it will be a pile of trash.

I much prefer the Regent S rather than the L.

Most of the earlier ones 90's and 2000+ models I have seen are the Regent L, with the bed up in the roof, ok if your single, athletic and fit.

The Regent S has a rear transverse double, a much better layout in such a short van.

Have a look on mobile.de for choice although the exchange rate is rubbish at the minute

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back