Mercedes quality - fact or phantom? (1 Viewer)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The old merc diesel engines were based on an old british diesel engine , the same type that they put in the Tourmaster buses , the ones that did a million miles each ,when van Diesel invented his engine , it was originally intended to run on oils of many types

Feb 22, 2015
Grosmont near Whitby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
four years
All I can add is my own limited experience. I have previously owned five M/H, all on either Fiat or Peugeot running gear and chassis. I now have a Lunar van conversion, using a Merc 313. So far, So good, my Merc is just great. It's the only van we've owned that in the first 5K has not suffered any breakdown. The MB also returns the best mpg of any, is the quietest and the most comfortable. Will keep the thread posted as the miles get added. Oh, and our nearest Merc agent Cleveland Van & Truck have been more than helpful on the twice we've had to contact them. Of now, Merc for me.

APACHE 1988

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
WISBECH FENLAND
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL APACHE
Exp
3 YEARS
First time I went under our 28 year old Merc to mend the rear leg leveller that I had wound out too far I was very surprised by the amount of timber under there!! All painted in some thick black pitch or similar. Must be a chance that at sometime in the future she will fail on wood worm damage!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Is there a difference in quality or quality control between MB cars and MB commercials? I had a 5 pot 2.5 turbo diesel from new and it was the most unreliable car I've ever had and the most expensive to repair and maintain!

A business partner had an expensive E class and it just stopped on the motorway and he never saw it again. After weeks with a loan car he eventually got MB to replace with something else with a different engine.

I wouldn't want to have another MB car but I might have an MB based motorhome if I could get some reassurance that they are better.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had an Autotrail Cheyene with merc 316Cdi brilliant engine when changing was very dubious about going over to Fiat but did first Auto trail Tracker FB with 2.3 150 Euro 5 really good did 18000 miles in two years never missed a beat and pulls really well now have Hymer Exsis I on 4250 Alko chassis 2.3 150 Euro 5 just as good and tow a car trailer still pulls really well early day though as not done a lot of miles yet but still happy with Fiat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back