Mercedes are so good that......... (1 Viewer)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
About 8 years ago a customer whose business was transporting helicopter engines to Italy and back had switched his entire fleet from Merc Sprinters to LDV Convoys because all of his Mercs had needed new rear axles at around the 150,000 miles mark (13 months use for his company). By contrast his LDVs were doing 300,000 miles without major problems and he reckoned they used less fuel too. Its very rare for even a twenty year old motorhome to hit 100,000 miles so the mechanical longevity is largely immaterial.

D.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
About 8 years ago a customer whose business was transporting helicopter engines to Italy and back had switched his entire fleet from Merc Sprinters to LDV Convoys because all of his Mercs had needed new rear axles at around the 150,000 miles mark (13 months use for his company). By contrast his LDVs were doing 300,000 miles without major problems and he reckoned they used less fuel too. Its very rare for even a twenty year old motorhome to hit 100,000 miles so the mechanical longevity is largely immaterial.

D.

Well on my mileage I shall need a new rear axle in about 2037 :roflmto:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.

D.
I think it will be the silly things that will put an end to our motorhomes. The engines will work forever as long as they are serviced but in 15 years time will you be able to get a moulded radiator hose for it. Manufacturers will stop making them along with the engines and scrap dealers don't keep them!
Before I changed my van recently it was like looking for hens teeth to find a top hose new or second hand for a fiat ducato!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back